The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I could never understand the appeal of drone and sludge.

In what way does stoner differ from doom?

Stoner is a bit more upbeat, if you will. They tend to be a bit more on the noisy side of rock. I strongly suggest you buying Pink,Heavy Rocks and Amplifier Worship which are all by Boris. This are all are very strong records. The first one being the best and very accessible and the last being more on the drone/sludge side of things. I could talk about the great aspects of Drone and Sludge all day long but I wont right now. If you would like I can give you a list of great Drone releases.

you know i never realized this before but "in the nightside eclipse" is very very similar to prog rock (esp. early camel or king crimson) to the point where it could pretty much be labeled as such. actually now that i think about it i think falconsbane said something similar once. funny that people label stuff like dream theater and opeth as 'prog' because it has long songs and guitar solos when itne is far far more similar in terms of melodic phrasing and structure....

prog = progressive <?whatever?>. i.e. it has no defined or uniform "structure". it's purely a way of describing music that takes elements of a genre and twists and reshapes said elements, typically adding something abnormal to the way in which the music is played. anything that is "prog" should fit into the grouping of another genre. so itne sharing nothing in common with dream theater or opeth, but being more similar to KC is no surprise

that being said, im not sure about your comments with respect to itne in comparison to king crimson or other such bands. i haven't heard itne in a long time and am not that familiar with the "progressive" bands.

"prog rock" has become its own genre regardless of the original intention of the application of the term "progressive" or its current definition

Prog is merely a descriptive term; a quality that the music of certain bands has, if you will. I think it is way too broad to be an actual genre, since Dream Theater, Opeth, Cursed Earth, Symphony X, Deathspell Omega, Cynic, Ordog, Portal, Sworn, Scythe, Pavor, etc. can all be considered "progressive metal" but the bands are obviously not all of the same genre.

Prog. describes a sound, progressive describes actual progression.
Maybe that's why the early bands under this sound tag(Camel, King Crimson, Yes) were truly progressive in a sense that they were exploring uncharted territory. Nowadays, when a lot has been done and redone many times over, perhaps there isn't much room for innovation and breaking new ground, so a lot of current prog bands simply play around with the influences of the old masters. Gordian Knot are also tagged progressive,for instance, but they're not really groundbreaking in any way, just very good at what they're doing.