The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I just think the moaning/half-singing or whatever he does is just inappropriate. I imagine him doing the classic rough yells over those songs and they'd sound killer. Or if he does have to sing, at least sing properly. Is this how the vocals sound on Cold Lake? And what about Vanity/Nemesis?

And to prove my point they seemed obligated to do an "Alternate Mix" of the track "The Inevitable Factor" in which all they did was replace the bad vox with the old vox.

Checked out Municipal Waste's "The Art Of Partying" today, and I was more or less floored, so floored that I in fact immediately ordered the cover art shirt from Earache's webstore. Been listening to this album non-stop this afternoon.

Zephyrus:

1) The more you listen to it, the more you appreciate the emotional singing
2) If you read up on the band history more from this time period and why he chose to sing that way (it's not meant to be 'proper singing') you also might find it easier to swallow.

I do agree that the rough vocals definitely sound better on The Inevitable Factor though, but that song musically is more closely resemblant of the older material than are the other tracks on which he uses the new vocal style.

Well I gave Don't Break the Oath a couple focused listens and so far I like Melissa a lot more, an album that clicked with me on the second listen. Don't Break the Oath either requires more time or else it's just inferior to the debut. I'm digging it, but not feeling it the same way I would songs like "Evil" and "Curse of the Pharoah".

It takes several repeated listens. SOme of the songs are excellent, especially the oath.

God, Type O Negative is the shit. I'm listening to their new album, and I think I actually like it better than any of their others - which seems really weird since a band's early material is almost always better than something they release after having been in the business for 15 years. What's nice about Dead Again is that it doesn't have such a stereotypical Goth sound as all the other Type O albums.

Okay, someone tell me what types of things I should be looking for in Don't Break The Oath. So many people revere it, and I get very little out of it. It just seems really tame to me. Still, I doubt that my historical perspective should keep me from enjoying this, as plenty of people who listen mainly to more extreme music enjoy this. I'd say the songs I like best are "A Dangerous Meeting," "Nightmare," and "Gypsy." I still think the Emperor version slays the original one. It's not that I dislike 80s metal, but I haven't made a huge effort to get into it.

I dunno. I was raised by phsycho Christians, so I get a kick out of anything satanic. Which explains alot.

But it's really about the vocals and awesome axe work.

I don't know about anyone else as far as doom metal goes, but monolithe i just kicked my ass!

Now I think I'll go on an esoteric binge untill I pass out drunk...

I really only bought this album in preparation for seeing them live, but I'm really digging Rotting Christ's Theogonia. The gothic prevalence took a short time to adjust to, but now I'm really feeling it, but with enough black metal left to give it an edge. And I'm of course falling for the Hellenistic appeal. Can't wait to see this band in New Hampshire in 2 weeks.