The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

ICs Vortex is a great singer

Singing doesn't make you an instrumentalist, which could be why I didn't mention him.

not really... but even if that were true it doesn't make the music bad... look at Darkthrone or Burzum or a host of other bands that only use simple riffs and chords and yet create great music.

The guitar parts in Dimmu Borgir are extremely simplistic, but not in a way that can be compared to Darkthrone or Burzum. The guy who I was talking to said that Dimmu Borgir's guitarist is one of the greatest ever, which isn't true or even close. The most complex part of their music is the symphonic elements.

It's better than making up bullshit to justify liking a band that a lot of other people don't like. I doubt that there are any more of a handful of people who would actually enjoy Dimmu Borgir if it were not for the fact that they 'popularized' Black Metal.
Um...
No.
Sorry. But I don't think anyone likes them because they're popular. I think they're popular because a lot of people like them who aren't into extreme black metal because they're relatively accessible, but I don't think the fact that they "popularized" black metal in and of itself has won them any fans. On the contrary, their reputation as sellouts has definitely cost them.

I think Hellhammer is the only member of the band who's actually an exceptional instrumentalist.
I don't see anything particularly exceptional about Hellhammer, but maybe I haven't heard the right thing. Does he do anything except hit the drums really fast?

Mostly Mayhem's stuff. Also with Dimmu. Never heard anything that impressed me. He's not bad, just never really made me think "wow, what a great drummer!"

Singing doesn't make you an instrumentalist, which could be why I didn't mention him.

The guitar parts in Dimmu Borgir are extremely simplistic, but not in a way that can be compared to Darkthrone or Burzum. The guy who I was talking to said that Dimmu Borgir's guitarist is one of the greatest ever, which isn't true or even close. The most complex part of their music is the symphonic elements.

in the grand scheme of things their guitar parts are rather simple (though you can hear fine playing on SBD). yes the symphonic elements tend to be more complex. now the 'simple' guitar parts mixed with the more intricate keyboard playing makes for a nice non-simplistic sound.
i wasn't trying to compare DB's guitar playing to Darkthrone except to point out that they also used simple parts (in fact much simpler) and yet they still made worthwhile music. all i was pointing out was that simple does not equal bad. so its sort of pointless to bring it up.

Well yeah, but you missed the point, which was their level of technical proficiency. In my opinion they're perfectly good players. Nothing special. Lots of black metal guys suck. Lots are good. Whatever. Pointless, really...

By arguing with me about it, you clearly miss the point that my comments were a reply to a guy who speficially said that there isn't anyone in black metal who's better at playing guitar than the guy in Dimmu Borgir, which is clearly not true or even close. In other words, my argument is correct.

Read more than just my comments next time.

By arguing with me about it, you clearly miss the point that my comments were a reply to a guy who speficially said that there isn't anyone in black metal who's better at playing guitar than the guy in Dimmu Borgir, which is clearly not true or even close. In other words, my argument is correct.

Read more than just my comments next time.

i did. i was responding to your response to me. i completely disagree with the guy who said that DB had the best guitarist in black metal. that's absurd.

But the guy in DB is one of the best guitarists. Actually every single musician in that band are talented, and one of the best in BM.

But the guy in DB is one of the best guitarists. Actually every single musician in that band are talented, and one of the best in BM.

i think DB are great... and there are certainly some skilled chaps in the group but i would hardly consider galder or silenoz the best guitarists in BM

ICs Vortex is a great singer, but I actually liked when he sang for Borknagar better than Dimmu. Zeph, have you heard any more about him possibly singing on their next release?

He said in an interview with gR that he might do guest vocals on one song on the new album, but that is tentative.

Every Vortex fan knows about Lamented Souls, his stoner doom metal band. I highly suggest you seek out The Origins of Misery.

It bugs me how people discount vocals and keyboards in metal, especially for bands in which those instruments play an equal role with the guitars and drums. Of course you're not going to like Dimmu Borgir if you think the keyboards just play a backing role and that the guitar riffs are the focus.

Hardly.

Um...
No.
Sorry. But I don't think anyone likes them because they're popular. I think they're popular because a lot of people like them who aren't into extreme black metal because they're relatively accessible, but I don't think the fact that they "popularized" black metal in and of itself has won them any fans. On the contrary, their reputation as sellouts has definitely cost them.

Reading comprehension 101.

You're arguing against the exact opposite of what I actually said.

Tonight you can see webcast SATYRICON LIVE at 20.00 (gmt+1).
http://nrkp3.no/konserter

You can also see recorded concerts from HOVEFESIVAL 2008 on : http://nrkp3.no/konserter

Bands which are available: BEHEMOTH, PRIMORDIAL, COHEED AND CAMBRIA, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE

You can also see interviews with DIMMU BORGIR (Silenoz talks about worms and fishing!!!), PURIFIED IN BLOOD, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE and more bands at http://www.nrk.no/lydverket/

Yeah, okay. I don't know what black metal bands you've been listening to that make Dimmu Borgir seem like amazing musicians... :lol: