The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Their role as a gateway band would make up for that offense. Black Metal bands would struggle to survive if it weren't for the worldwide support of fans, many of whom got into the genre through Dimmu Borgir.

Knowing about Dimmu Borgir actually kept me from listening to black metal for a while. I got into black metal from Burzum.

The way I see it, the reason why Dimmu Borgir are so disliked is because the managed to piss off true BM fans by popularizing one of the most inaccessible genres in extreme metal, turning it into something shallow that anyone with tolerance for extreme vocals can pick up and enjoy.

They're so disliked because so many people dislike their music.

It's better than making up bullshit to justify liking a band that a lot of other people don't like. I doubt that there are any more of a handful of people who would actually enjoy Dimmu Borgir if it were not for the fact that they 'popularized' Black Metal.

Who's making up bullshit? The people who like them, obviously praise their songwriting skills, the ability to write memorable songs.It's not difficult to understand them. You and I, for instance, may argue that that's not enough for the making of QUALITY music, but then again, every person has his own criterions for determining quality : some seek music that takes them somewhere via twisted and harsh soundscapes, others are satisfied with easily digestible tunes that get stuck in the head. The third group enjoys the best of both worlds.

I'm not into Dimmu Borgir but in terms of Black Metal they're some of the best musicians in the genre. I'm guessing they enjoy being talented and not sounding like shit and it's not different than black metal metal bands who like to sound like shit and be crappy musicians for whatever reasons.

You criticize their image and presentation and then you claim it's irrelevant. I accept your surrender.

You clearly are confused. His objection is irrelevant. It's certainly no defense of a shitty metal band to claim that most metal is just as or almost as shitty as said band. That's just a distraction from the actual issue, i.e. whether or not Dimmu Borgir sucks.

I thought Cythraul was going to say that Dimmu Borgir were single-handedly responsible for the artistic death of black metal as a genre with the release of their commercially successful Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, thus showing other bands how to write accessible music for the masses under the black metal tag.

Actually, I wouldn't say single-handedly, but I certainly do think they helped pave the way.

In other words, the purists' standpoint on music as art: instantly accessible music in any genre is generally worthless. For it is more music that pleases the ears rather than feeds the mind and soul. I guess that's pretty much it.

That's a bit strong. I mean, there is stuff that I find accessible and/or catchy which I still value highly. The problem is accessible and/or catchy music that has nothing potent behind the veneer.

No, you prove me wrong. Nothing they play is really complex or more original than other bands. I think Hellhammer is the only member of the band who's actually an exceptional instrumentalist.

No, you prove me wrong. I think Hellhammer is the only member of the band who's actually an exceptional instrumentalist.

Galder is an exceptional guitarist and if Silenoz wanted him in the band as second guitarist he must be more than exceptional and nick barker was an exceptional drummer. I listen to Old Man's Child-in defiance of existence and vermin which is Galder's band and if he's not up there in terms of black metal guitarist want to be proven otherwise. I have heard enough of DB to make a judgement also.

I feel like laughing so bring it on.

Just one of many. Most Dimmu Borgir songs that I've heard only use a few chords.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Cythraul was going to say that Dimmu Borgir were single-handedly responsible for the artistic death of black metal as a genre with the release of their commercially successful Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, thus showing other bands how to write accessible music for the masses under the black metal tag.

Some people say that's what the Beatles did for music genres like folk and psychedelia, which were more or less underground phenomena before they incorporated them into their style. Would that make Dimmu the 'Beatles of black metal'? :cool:

Anyway, I don't see Dimmu as being artistically vapid just because they're accessible. I find a lot of fascinating moods in their music through their riffs and their use of keyboards. Take the psychotic, carnival-esque mood that prevails in SBD. How many albums out there can you really hear a sound like that on?

Still, if you can't manage to find any artistic depth in their music, it still says something that they have a lot of catchy, rhythmically-strong music. As mentioned earlier, nobody (in their right mind) knocks Iron Maiden or Judas Priest for having a catchy, easily-digestible sound.

I think Hellhammer is the only member of the band who's actually an exceptional instrumentalist.

ICs Vortex is a great singer, but I actually liked when he sang for Borknagar better than Dimmu. Zeph, have you heard any more about him possibly singing on their next release?

They're just boring. The synths are cheesy as can be. Too many chug riffs and over reliance on core-like syncopated riffing during verse sections. Lack of good melodies from guitars, yet somehow resembles melodeath more than black metal really.

This band is not more than a footnote in the course of black metal.

Most Dimmu Borgir songs that I've heard only use a few chords.

not really... but even if that were true it doesn't make the music bad... look at Darkthrone or Burzum or a host of other bands that only use simple riffs and chords and yet create great music.

i understand that everyone's tastes are different but i simply don't see why this band gets so despised. look at it this way... when i used to post on Metal Rules a certain poster there was asked "What is the worst music in the world?" His answer? "Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth". Now come fucking on... that's ridiculous. Even if you don't like these bands there are a million other groups that are FAR FAR worse than these two. Ever heard of Disturbed? ICP? Godsmack?! Staind?!! My whole point is yes of course people can say "Dimmu suck" or "I don't like them"... that's fine. I disagree, but whatever. But quite often what I hear is "Oh that's the worst shit ever written, that's faggoth sell out shit... fuck that shit, it ain't real black metal listen to Beherit you hot topic fucks!" So while some people may genuinely dislike the music, for many their dislike of the band is CLEARLY amplified by the fact that they are popular or cheesy, etc. In other words, if you don't like them, good for you. But come on, they aren't THAT FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Some people say that's what the Beatles did for music genres like folk and psychedelia, which were more or less underground phenomena before they incorporated them into their style. Would that make Dimmu the 'Beatles of black metal'? :cool:

Anyway, I don't see Dimmu as being artistically vapid just because they're accessible. I find a lot of fascinating moods in their music through their riffs and their use of keyboards. Take the psychotic, carnival-esque mood that prevails in SBD. How many albums out there can you really hear a sound like that on?

Still, if you can't manage to find any artistic depth in their music, it still says something that they have a lot of catchy, rhythmically-strong music. As mentioned earlier, nobody (in their right mind) knocks Iron Maiden or Judas Priest for having a catchy, easily-digestible sound.
That "Dimmu Borgir are the "Beatles" of BM"" simile is interesting.(Come together right now, oh yea in sweet diabolical orgy. :zombie:).Manages to shed some light on why I don't like the Beatles. They're way too simplistic.
Well, to be honest, I don't like Iron Maiden either.
The advantage that IM and JP have over Dimmu Borgir, however, is that they were among the pioneering heavy metal bands, and for that alone they may be deemed superior. So it doesn't really matter that their music is also accessible and catchy-- it was innovative and unique for its time(as were the Beatles), and that's something that Dimmu Borgir never were.

So,dear Iron Maiden fans worldwide who hate Dimmu Borgir, am I in the ballpark or just talking out of my ass?