The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Fuck off you god damn retard. I'm sick of faggots like you who think that every time somebody doesn't like a mainstream band you like, it's because they're closed minded or ignorant.

Fuck off you god damn retard. I'm sick of faggots like you who think that every time somebody doesn't like a mainstream band you like, it's because they're closed minded or ignorant.

Actually, that is happening. Don't approach it in a ignorant way, that is wrong.

Just because he's typing in lower case doesn't mean he's trolling.

Let's just face it, Dimmu Borgir sucks on all grounds, chiefly musical grounds. And image, lyrics, etc., DO matter. Or rather, can matter, depending on the values of the person in mind. And if you say "well you're stupid if you think image is important," then please just shut up for being ignorant and not understanding.

well that's your opinon but really whatever flaws the band may have i still think they've made some great cd's...

Actually, that is happening. Don't approach it in a ignorant way, that is wrong.

How? Explain yourself. I have heard every one of their albums up to Death Cult Armageddon and even owned a few of them. I'm hardly ignorant of their music.

I'll say it again, I have no problem with people who think Dimmu Borgir sucks purely on musical grounds. I'm just sick of people who let non-musical factors, such as popularity and image, influence their judgment of the music.

Dodens, I can see how tasteful image and lyrics can enhance the presentation and earned respect for a band, but if either of those aren't tasteful, why should that be relevant? This is a mindset I can't quite understand.

And sevag, your argument is stupid that people are ignorant because they don't like a certain band's music. There are plenty of bands I don't like, and I doubt you can find too many people here who say I'm close-minded.

Dodens, I can see how tasteful image and lyrics can enhance the presentation and earned respect for a band, but if either of those aren't tasteful, why should that be relevant? This is a mindset I can't quite understand.

i agree with this... while a cool image and good lyrics can certainly enhance a band they in and of themselves do not affect the quality of the music... i can think of plenty of bands with absurd images or flat out terrible lyrics whose music i enjoy to no end.

The argument that people don't like Dimmu because they are popular holds so little weight. If this were the case, then people would shit on Iron Maiden, Slayer, Black Sabbath, etc. way more often then they actually do. Even Opeth doesn't get ragged on as much as DB, and they are easily as popular. People dislike Dimmu Borgir because they don't like the music. Period.

First of all, lyrics are a part of the music. Secondly, as I've already said, it depends on one's own personal values. The image that a band portrays for themselves represents how they intend people to see and to judge them. If bands didn't think that image mattered, they wouldn't bother having an image, would they? I think that immediately says enough to support the argument that image can matter. Also, more generally, the more knowledge that you have of a band, the band members, the way that they think and act, etc., the more informed you are regarding their music, which may expose you to things in the music itself that you weren't aware of before, which may or may not be a good thing.

The argument that people don't like Dimmu because they are popular holds so little weight. If this were the case, then people would shit on Iron Maiden, Slayer, Black Sabbath, etc. way more often then they actually do. Even Opeth doesn't get ragged on as much as DB, and they are easily as popular. People dislike Dimmu Borgir because they don't like the music. Period.

except of course that bands like Black Sabbath and Maiden are so classic that to say anything against them is anathema.

I'd have to admit that disliking Dimmu Borgir is kind of trendwhorish, unless you're able to adeptly explain what it is that you dislike about their music. Of course, those individuals who can't, may simply echo the criticism of others, or conveniently adopt the negative view of people whose taste they admire.

First of all, lyrics are a part of the music.

yeah, it pisses me off how lyrics gets equated with stuff like image

image doesn't really mean anything to me personally with regards to judging the quality of a cd (and by image i don't mean the presentation of the CD in question, that can have an impact), it's more for if i want to know more about the actual band members

I'd have to admit that disliking Dimmu Borgir is kind of trendwhorish, unless you're able to adeptly explain what it is that you dislike about their music. Of course, those individuals who can't, may simply echo the criticism of others, or conveniently adopt the negative view of people whose taste they admire.

am i allowed to hate them for racial reasons

yeah, it pisses me off how lyrics gets equated with stuff like image

image doesn't really mean anything to me personally with regards to judging the quality of a cd (and by image i don't mean the presentation of the CD in question, that can have an impact), it's more for if i want to know more about the actual band members

I can't think of a time in which I've ever disliked a band because they looked like faggots either, but I know people who have who are not just raging retards (well, of course image wasn't the sole reason for the dislike, but it was a definite factor).

am i allowed to hate them for racial reasons

:lol: