The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

That's quite true, so I just choose to ignore the issue and enjoy the music. I even get to see them live.

That's cool. I just can't for the life of me understand how you can so wilfully turn a blind eye to the glaringly obvious commercial motivation behind the package as a whole.

I guess we just have to chalk it down to a fundemental difference in how we perceive our metal. :p

I guess we just have to chalk it down to a fundemental difference in how we perceive our metal. :p

Nationalism is a factor, I'm guessing. As Norwegian, Black Metal is a part of your heritage, and thus you take offense to anything that offends it.

As an American, and a fan of European bands, it only goes as deep as how I appreciate the music itself.

I'm with you on Dimmu, Zeph. :cool:

But popularity of a band has never bothered me. I like Metallica's Load and Reload albums just as much as I like the old school stuff (even though neither Load nor Reload are metal).

I tend not to view it in terms of popularity, marketing, and gimmicks. I just enjoy the music for what it is, and nothing beyond that. That's the mindset that has allowed me to not be ashamed of liking Dimmu Borgir. I just find it to be a stupid argument to say that the band sucks because they aren't Black Metal. Who cares what genre they fall into?
Exactly. A Dimmu fan should never be ashamed in liking them, wearing shirts, going to shows etc.

But Cradle of Filth fans on the other hand...

Honestly, I don't understand how anybody can listen to Dimmu Borgir. Whenever I hear that shit I can't help but crack up. Seriously, I find their music hilarious.

Thats not even 1/4 of the shit on my itunes.
any bands you recommend?
Well follow the link V5 posted to our blog for pretty much everything we think on the subject. You seem to already know a lot of the more underground bands but if you want something specific, let me or V5 know and I'm sure we could recommend you some bands. Also check out the Brutal/Slam Death thread we have going here, it's probably in the top few pages of this forum.

Honestly, I don't understand how anybody can listen to Dimmu Borgir. Whenever I hear that shit I can't help but crack up. Seriously, I find their music hilarious.

See, this is a proper way to say that Dimmu Borgir sucks. An opinion based solely on the music. Follow this man's example, that is unless you like DB.

Cause their melodies are fucking incredible?

What makes them that much more hilarious than any other black metal band anyway? The whole genre's quite laughable.

Cosmic_Horror2.jpg

Hellhammer iirc