The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Cool, another one to look forward to.

There will also be two more Against Nature albums out by the end of the year (as in, there are already two out this year), one which will be in the vein of Action at a Distance (that is, not metal, no vocals or guitar and keyboard driven), and one in the vein of Natural Blue. Not sure if you've heard or cared for either of those albums, but I personally love everything Brenner's done with Against Nature so far.

My personal favorite is The Anxiety of Influence, but the best to start off with is probably something like Leer or Unfolded.

My personal favorite is The Anxiety of Influence, but the best to start off with is probably something like Leer or Unfolded.

I was going through Metal Archives the other day, came across this band, and on a whim downloaded The Anxiety of Influence from their website, purely because I own Harold Bloom's book. I've only listened through it once, so I haven't had time to dig into it. It's interesting though.

If you find that you become interested in the band's work, I actually just did a fairly extensive interview with the main songwriter, which can be read on my blog (in three parts), in which we discuss literature and literary criticism a bit.

He's probably my favorite active musician at the moment, and one of the more interesting people in the genre in my opinion. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.

I was at my friends place the other day and he was playing thr first Rage Against The Machine album.

I actually really enjoyed it.

RATM are not influenced by metal and it's pretty obvious no one in the band grew up listening to any metal music at all.

Here's the list of my last haul, with brief reviews. I wrote this for my friends, just cutting and pasting.

Asphyx - The Rack
Asphyx play thick, crushing death metal. A classic for a reason. You should all listen, if only for it's status as a seminal death metal album. Also, it kicks ass.

Blastcorps - Glorified
Intense, semi-raw death metal. Not actually too much blasting. More melodic than you'd expect. Thick guitars, mainly trem-picked. Growly vocals. Short. Not bad, not amazing. Asa may dig, I dunno about Robert.

Bound And Gagged - Fornicate the Gutted

Brutal death metal. Skilled musicians with some jazz influences, but they really don't explore that enough. The vocals are pig squeals. Basically, fairly technical brutal death with an abrasive sound that's not terribly memorable.

Castrum - Hatenourisher

Medieval lyrics, raw as fuck death metal with a dose of melody, and general coolness abound. Recommended.

Cenotaph - Pseudo Verminal Cadaverium

Great name, huh? Basically, raw and brutal death metal that would be pretty solid if unremarkable, except for the absurdly annoying vocals. Not recommended.

Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh

This is death metal with a major twist, namely that there's a shitload of bass, the drumming is really good, and the vocals are fucked up. Maybe that's not a twist. Whatever. Anyhow, some great riffs, cool bass, really fucked up vocals and lyrics, and killer drumming. Doesn't stray too far from convention, though. I don't think Robert will be able to get into this, but Asa, you should definitely hear it.

Some great lyrics:
"She's the kind of girl you want to
run up and tackle through a window some floors up
and spatter you both to hell"

Diabolic - Infinity Through Purification

Pure American death metal. Lots of lead guitar duels. Not too brutal, vocals are pretty thrashy. If 40 minutes of well-written death metal performed by excellent musicians sounds appealing to you, try this.

Embracing - I Bear The Burden Of Time

Classic Swedish melodic death metal. Along the lines of early In Flames and Dark Tranquility; dark and heavy but also beautiful and melodic. Some amazing songwriting here. Unfortunately, this was recorded in eight days by a bunch of kids. So while the songs are brilliant, the guitars and vocals are weak and the drum sound is poor. Remastering has failed to give this the sound it deserves. Still, well worth listening.

Enforsaken - The Forever Endeavor

Fairly generic melodic death metal. Super-trendy (not metalcore, though). Good musicianship fails to hide the fact that they have no idea which riffs are good. Comes with a bonus sampler CD.

Fates Warning - Parallels

This is really shitty. It has nothing to do with the Fates Warning who did Awaken The Guardian. There's a new vocalist, they sound really really clean, and all the songs are really slow ballad-y type shit. No catchy choruses, no awesome solos, no incredible vocal melodies. There aren't even any good riffs. You don't want to hear this.

Fleshgrind - The Seeds Of Abysmal Torment

Brutal death with an emphasis on groove over blasting. Not too abrasive. Vocals move between decent shrieks and gutterals. Pretty damn solid.

Goretrade - Perception of Hate

Brutal death metal done right. Vocals are way in the back, drums are somewhat buried. Thick, heavy guitar riffing. Absolutely headbanging stuff here. Some awesomely translated lyrics. Recommended for everyone.

Gun Barrel - Battle Tested

If you didn't like Power Dive, you won't like this. Basically, they cleaned up the production (bad move), went somewhat more metal (bad move), and wrote songs that weren't as good (bad move).

Hyperion - Through Centuries

Death metal with lots of melody, pretty raw recording, about 27 minutes. Predominantly instrumental. Very good. Recommended.

Invasion - Berserk Artillery Barrage

Shitty thrash.

Krisiun - Conquerors Of Armageddon

This is somewhat old school death metal. Lots of blastbeats, but they don't become obnoxious. The riffs are mainly trem-picked but harmonized in such ways that they don't become boring. The vocalist is beastly. Satanic lyrics, black metal aesthetic. These guys are from Brazil and for some reason they do sound a bit like Sepultura. Over all quite good. I think Asa will dig this; Robert, probably not.

The Mass - City Of Dis

Aside from some awesome names ("We Enslaved Elves To Build Our Death Machine"), this is a cool mix of punk and progressive metal with the saxophone as the lead instrument. Definitely worth a listen.

Moat - The Sun Will Destroy Us All

This guy stumbled upon the secret to really atmospheric black metal and then managed to shit all over it. The riffs are generally mediocre, but the incredibly epic guitar sound carries it along. The vocals kinda kill this. Also...there's a ten-minute epic entitled "A Troll Led Me To My Demise"

Mortuus Caelum - Macto interitum Mundi

This is really mediocre black metal. Old school style; shitty production, short songs, all trem-picked. I'm gonna give it a chance to grow on me but I don't think it will.

Order Of The Ebon Hand - XV: The Devil

True black metal. Trem-picked melodies, blast beats, and Satan. Well-composed and well-performed by seasoned musicians. Well-recorded and produced such that it sounds atmospheric and evil without sounding like shit. Definitely worth a listen.

Poppy Seed Grinder - Oppressed Reality

This is a half hour of utter brutality. The clear production gives full weight to the blast-beats and slams. The guitars are pure trem-picked fury laced with harmonics, pausing only to launch into brutal grooves. Asa will dig this, Robert probably not.

Saprogenic - The Wet Sound Of Flesh On Concrete

Brutal death metal. Heavy heavy heavy. Emphasis on guitars, not to much slamming. Needs some listens to sink in. Robert won't like this, Asa should give it a try.

Satyricon - The Shadowthrone

Solid black metal. Some epic parts, not too much blasting, etc. But undistinguished songwriting and excessive song lengths do detract a good deal. Not bad at all; not worthy of its status as a classic, but w/e.

Smashed Face - Virulent Procreation

Brutal death metal. Unfortunately, it's not too great. A really digital sound impedes enjoyment of the already pretty average guitar riffs and the vocals are bad. Not recommended.

Spirit Of The Forest - A Brew Of Lightning And Terror

High grade black metal from the dark forests of Canada. Finally a black metal band that's more about the music than about being the aural embodiment of PURE FUCKING HATRED. Lots of awesome trem-picked melodies, fully audible bass that kicks ass, great drumming, and excellent black metal vocals. Recommended for all.

Talamyus - In These Days Of Violence

Thrash metal with a large degree of melodic death metal. Think The Absence, but without the speed, aggression, and technicality. Some good riffs here and there, great solos, good vocals, and real potential, but these guys lack two things: songwriting skill and speed.

Valhom - Desolation

Black metal that takes its queues from Emperor and Satyricon. What potential it may have had is marred by the shit vocals and the fact that for some reason the guitar has been really poorly recorded and then shoved into the right channel, making this agonizing to listen to.

Vital Remains - Forever Underground

Starts off amazing, but winds up not being as good as (or at all like) Dechristianize. Old school death metal; not much blasting or trem-picking, mainly badass riffs. Pretty good. Suzuki is limited to amazing soloing here, no epic melodies. Some really awesome parts like the acoustic solo on I Am God, but few and far between. Other than that, good old school death metal with really long songs. Asa, try. Robert, I dunno.

Vitality - Voracious Malignity

I need to listen a couple more times, but initial reports indicate this may be the perfect brutal death metal album. Riff after bludgeoning riff of brutality and groove, driven by thick, crushing guitars and backed by frenetic drum work. Excellent, if incomprehensible, vocals top off an extremely badass half hour of brutality. Listen or die.

Warspite - Gallery of the Macabre

Again with these bands that take pure death metal and throw in melody. I love it. Anyhow, this is pretty good. Mediocre vocals but great music.

Withered Earth - Into The Deepest Wound

This is really cool. Essentially it's death metal, but they avoid death metal cliches like the plague. They turn on a dime every couple seconds; random stops, tempo shifts, riff changes, etc. Not in a jarring way, but they avoid momentum. Nevertheless, there's plenty of headbanging to be done. Recommended for all.

Wuthering Heights - Within

First off, it's actually not Urban Breed, it's Tad Morose's old vocalist. Secondly, the songs are really long so the guitarist can wank a little more. Seriously, way too much soloing and not enough riffing. There's really nothing holding the music together. Crap.

Xasthur - Nocturnal Poisoning

This is awesome atmospheric black metal. Thick, fuzzy guitars playing riff after riff, mostly instrumental. Programmed drums pushed way back just carry everything along. Subtle use of keyboards. Awesome. Both of you need to hear this.

Xasthur - To Violate The Oblivious

Similar to Nocturnal Poisoning, but not as good. Drums are pushed up, more vocals (which are awful), guitars are still fuzzy but a bit thin. Still quite good, but not incredible. If you like Nocturnal Poisoning, try this, but I'd try that one first.