The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Most people are too picky for a recommendation engine to work for them -- including myself.

Honestly, the best and worst recs come from UM.
I completely agree. Talking to people with similar tastes (the UM community) will generally wield better results than an algorithm designed to function automatically. Computers are pretty good, but they make recommendations based on the search histories of people who have already listened to that album, who may have completely irrelevant search histories. It's amazing that they work at all, let alone so well, but they're prone to mistakes. So are we, of course, but we can give more specific suggestions based on what we already know.

I'm more interested in the 'radio' features of a potential new app than anything. I could take recommendations off this forum or google or whatever, and I do sometimes, but I think the best way to discover something new is just hearing it in a huge list of shit you'll approximately like and let the algorithms be tamed over time.

I'm more interested in the 'radio' features of a potential new app than anything. I could take recommendations off this forum or google or whatever, and I do sometimes, but I think the best way to discover something new is just hearing it in a huge list of shit you'll approximately like and let the algorithms be tamed over time.
Whatever works for you man. Everyone has different ways of doing it, I prefer talking to people and scouring for it in my own ways, you have your own ways of doing it and that's cool too. As long as we discover good music we like, I don't think it's a big deal.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
Some of my favorite artists. Just gonna throw these out there and see if anyone is into them I guess. No order.

Frank Zappa
Can
Brian Eno
The Residents
Faust
Magma
David Bowie
The Beatles
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Voivod
Bathory
Loudness
Jacques Brel
Charles Aznavour
Leo Ferre
Einsturzende Neubauten
Cabaret Voltaire
Throbbing Gristle
Ramleh
Hanatarash
Talking Heads
Kraftwerk
Supermax

You've good taste in experimental music and Krautrock my friend. You didn't list him so I'm curious, how familiar are you with Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band? If you're plenty familiar, what are your thoughts?

Reactions: Burzum_Maiden
You've good taste in experimental music and Krautrock my friend. You didn't list him so I'm curious, how familiar are you with Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band? If you're plenty familiar, what are your thoughts?

I like Captain Beefheart but I do need to try more so to familiarize myself with his work especially because of his association with Zappa. I've never been able to make it all the way through Trout Mask Replica not because it's bad or too weird but some of these albums and artists take along time to really click. I enjoy the songs by themselves though.

Trout Mask Replica is a little bit of a rough fit the first few listens, definitely, it's terribly dense as a complete musical piece, in particular with so much going on in every arrangement and the rhythms being all over the place. It's a top-to-bottom masterpiece though. If you want an easier start try Safe As Milk, it's much more standard 60's blues rock, but of course with Beefheart's unique pastiches of surreal musical insanity slathered all over it. If you want to stick with his more avant-garde material, the best ones other than Trout Mask Replica are Lick My Decals Off Baby, Doc At The Radar Station, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), and Ice Cream For Crow.

Trout Mask Replica is a little bit of a rough fit the first few listens, definitely, it's terribly dense as a complete musical piece, in particular with so much going on in every arrangement and the rhythms being all over the place. It's a top-to-bottom masterpiece though. If you want an easier start try Safe As Milk, it's much more standard 60's blues rock, but of course with Beefheart's unique pastiches of surreal musical insanity slathered all over it. If you want to stick with his more avant-garde material, the best ones other than Trout Mask Replica are Lick My Decals Off Baby, Doc At The Radar Station, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), and Ice Cream For Crow.

I'll check those out too or well I've listened to some of his other stuff but again just need to be in the mood to look more into his stuff. I've been more into aggressive stuff atm like Finnish hardcore punk and noise based Grindcore.

Well, if you're listening to Finnish hardcore punk, just curious, how much have you listened to the American bands that generated the style to begin with?

Well, if you're listening to Finnish hardcore punk, just curious, how much have you listened to the American bands that generated the style to begin with?

Haven't been able to get into American hardcore though I really did try. I do really like Husker Du but I'm not sure they're quite the same especially from Flip your wig and onward. I do enjoy Bad Brains but haven't listened to much. I mean I didn't just go straight to Finnish hardcore I started with US and UK hardcore. I also like the Japanese noise based hardcore like Gai and Confuse.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
The Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Misfits, G.G. Allin, The Germs, The Circle Jerks, Minutemen, Hüsker Dü, Naked Raygun, Melvins, The Angry Samoans, all of these bands are American, all of them are hardcore punk legends, and you're trying to say UK hardcore punk is better? Don't make me laugh.

Reactions: LOUD METAL
I'm not trying to say that, I am saying that. It's subjective obviously.

Also, GG Allin isn't hardcore punk. :p

Aaand you missed some of my favourite USHC bands, like MDC, Void, Crucifix, COC...

Last edited:
I too would prefer UK hardcore to American Hardcore my favorite being an oddball choice Antisect. I still prefer Finnish or maybe Scandinavian hardcore in general. I feel Anti-cimex, Shítlickers, and Mob 47 should be included with stuff like Kaaos, Tarveet Kadet, Riistetyt, and Rattus.

Reactions: CiG
I too would prefer UK hardcore to American Hardcore my favorite being an oddball choice Antisect. I still prefer Finnish or maybe Scandinavian hardcore in general. I feel Anti-cimex, Shítlickers, and Mob 47 should be included with stuff like Kaaos, Tarveet Kadet, Riistetyt, and Rattus.

Yeah I'm with you on this EUHC and UKHC reigns supreme in my opinion.