The Travel/Voyage Thread

Been voyaging at sea for the past 5 weeks,i'm loving the job and lifestyle but I doubt it's for everyone,you're on call 24/7 but i'm hoping that it takes me to some far off places.ATM it's just been from east Australia across the great Australian Bite to Western Australia but the opportunities are there to travel overseas through work and once qualified,in my off time i'll be travelling for sure.

That's pretty amazing sloughfeg. Despite getting motion sickness from spinning too much on my desk chair I've always dreamed of living at sea, something incredibly romantic and powerful about the idea.

That's pretty amazing sloughfeg. Despite getting motion sickness from spinning too much on my desk chair I've always dreamed of living at sea, something incredibly romantic and powerful about the idea.

The only bad part is politics onboard and having to put up with wankers trying to give you shit every now and then,which i'm struggling with,ppl always spoil the party so to speak.You cop a fair bit of that as a trainee,the merchant navy is notorious for it,it's great being at sea but i'm beginning to struggle with that aspect.

This. The Turks are arabs who hijacked Istanbul. They don't deserve such a beautiful city. Turks are the scum of the earth, almost at the level of Lebanese people!

I agree with your sentiments, but must correct your ethnography, since the Turks aren't Arabs, they're Caucasians who speak an Indo-European language. The Arabs besieged Constantinople in the 7th and 8th centuries, but Greek fire and fortifications pwned them.

Pffft.

The Byzantines were weak and picked fights they couldn't win. Their fate was deserved.

Ottoman side 4 life.

I'd say that lasting a thousand freakin' years is a testament to their skills at diplomacy, though often militarily disadvantaged. You had to invent gunpowder to destroy that civilization.

I agree with your sentiments, but must correct your ethnography, since the Turks aren't Arabs, they're Caucasians who speak an Indo-European language.

I actually know that this is the correct etnography of the Turkish people. However, Turkey - despite technically being a European nation - has often been subject to the same Eurocentric Orientalism as the middle east has, after all. In this context, I used the word "arab" as a generalizing and pejorative term, implying that I don't find the Turks worthy of distinction as a people of their own.

Jokes aside, I have got absolutely nothing against either Turks, Lebanese people, or arabs. As peoples they've all contributed more to history than the Swedes have, that's for sure.

I'm about two months into a six month overseas trip. So far I've spent two weeks in Germany, two and half weeks in Ireland, two weeks in the UK, a week in Sweden and now I'm in Madrid, with about another two and a half weeks to go in Spain and Morocco. After that I fly to Eindhoven, have a few days around there and Amsterdam, then I go to Denmark for Metal Magic festival. That'll be about the three month mark, then I go to India for three months, then a month in Nepal, then home to Australia. It's been great so far, loved just about every city I've been to. Highlights include cycling around Dingle in Ireland, drinking in Edinburgh, walking through the crisp Swedish countryside at 5am in the morning, the best doner kebabs I've ever had in Berlin, and of course, Hammer of Doom and Muskelrock. The shittest cities were easily Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester. I'm heading to Barcelona tomorrow and looking forward to hitting the beach, although I know it won't hold a candle to any Aussie beaches. :D

Alte Schwede.

I'm glad you're pointing out the positive expression Alter Schwede to counter my self-effacing demeanor and give credit to the Swedes, Der Morgenstern! Alter Schwede, after all, arose as an expression during a time when the Swedes made perhaps their largest impact on history, namely during the Thirty Years' War.

How do we sum up this #1 impact of the Swedes then? Well, we can say that, if the Swedes never existed, the entire Western world would most likely be Catholic today. That's something, at least. Good job guys!

I know what that feels like man, pretty shit. You liking it thus far though, now that yer at the destination?

Awesome, man! Fuck, I hate long car rides... when me and the family went on our last trip to Nova Scotia the car ride was 15 hours there, 18 hours back (where those three extra hours came from, I have no fucking clue). For the life of me, I cannot get a WINK of sleep in cars and it really screws me up when I get to the destination... :zombie:

I'm about two months into a six month overseas trip. So far I've spent two weeks in Germany, two and half weeks in Ireland, two weeks in the UK, a week in Sweden and now I'm in Madrid, with about another two and a half weeks to go in Spain and Morocco. After that I fly to Eindhoven, have a few days around there and Amsterdam, then I go to Denmark for Metal Magic festival. That'll be about the three month mark, then I go to India for three months, then a month in Nepal, then home to Australia. It's been great so far, loved just about every city I've been to. Highlights include cycling around Dingle in Ireland, drinking in Edinburgh, walking through the crisp Swedish countryside at 5am in the morning, the best doner kebabs I've ever had in Berlin, and of course, Hammer of Doom and Muskelrock. The shittest cities were easily Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester. I'm heading to Barcelona tomorrow and looking forward to hitting the beach, although I know it won't hold a candle to any Aussie beaches. :D

Sounds excellent man