The truly great song thread

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
The genre, band, album, etc. are all unimportant. Post what is, in your opinion, a great song and why you think so.

For me, I really think this song has all the makings of greatness. Really dark synth with a raw, dirty and awesome guitar riff all combined with vocals that build a subtle tension. The chorus explodes with Patton's epic vocals that show the guy has serious pipes. The production is also fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea... can I post two because I can't decide on one?

Firstly:

I don't really like Karnivool, but when I heard this specific song I was amazed by the arrangement and structure of it. How it keeps building up to something just to fade out into a new calm part again and again before finally taking off. And each calm part is great, especially because of the great vocals.

Secondly:

Dredg is an amazing band over all, but this is one of my favorite songs ever by any band. It got me hooked to it the first time I heard it. Great vocals, great drumming and an interesting bass line that basically follows the vocal melody - not to mention great production. Innovative enough to appeal to the more sophisticated (?) part of my musical taste, but catchy enough to also appeal to the more casual part. (And it's also yet another song where my love for food is manifested in misheard lyrics... "Will catch up" easily turns into "will ketchup" or even "real ketchup" when it is repeated)

EDIT: And yes, that Faith no More song is awesome.. as is the band in general

orbosnob and knuckleboard are a real couple of jokesters, ironically posting horrifically god-awful songs in the Truly Great Song Thread just for their own lolz. im on to you two!

Best long distance driving music ever

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqyWf7-Sqi0&feature=related[/ame]

I don't think this behooves an explanation?

And since genres don't matter, I urge you to listen to this track and avoid any biases you may have from the background. It starts like most Nuclear Fusion arranges, with the tension building up through the intro, but then the guitars kick in, and when it takes off at 00:42, the voices in the background create a haunting melody with is awesomely powerful coupled with the hard guitars and blastbeat drums. The chorus, oddly, isn't as bombastic as most Nuclear Fusion arrangements, but rather with a more subtle piano which, oddly, just makes it more powerful.

Reason? Can't put it into words. I love this band, but this is the song that lives up to their name. From the first mutterings of the depressed soldier at the beginning, to the godly climax at the end... just, wow.

Serious post now. I'm fairly new to this band, but the first time I heard this song, I knew it was special. For me it seems like the "truly great" songs generally take a long time to get to that level after lots of listens under all different sorts of circumstances, but every now and then, every once in a blue moon.... it just happens right away. That is the case with this one. This song burrowed it's way right into the core of my musical heart the very first time I heard it. That voice... those guitars... the not so distant memories already permanently attached to this song.... yeah :)

this song has been one of my favorites forever...This album is definitely in my top 10 albums of all time.

Serious post now. I'm fairly new to this band, but the first time I heard this song, I knew it was special. For me it seems like the "truly great" songs generally take a long time to get to that level after lots of listens under all different sorts of circumstances, but every now and then, every once in a blue moon.... it just happens right away. That is the case with this one. This song burrowed it's way right into the core of my musical heart the very first time I heard it. That voice... those guitars... the not so distant memories already permanently attached to this song.... yeah :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vd79oqTf9k

Excellent choice, perfect description! <3

This song is perfect.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4tPGljkR_w&feature=related[/ame]

Though I love Joe Satriani's version too, with Robert Fripp on guest noises!

I know all the words by heart!