The Video Game Thread

Suckiness varies depending entirely on how the game itself is. rE2 would be too easy if it had a bog-standard control system, that's pretty much a fact.

Also, don't talk to me about difficult games - I've played Contra, Battletoads, Strider, pretty much every pre-1998 fighting game on the highest difficulty and fucking wayne's World on the SNES. take your new-fangled 'difficult' games and shove it bro, come back when you've completed Contra and I'll let you lecture me on difficult video games :lol: That's not me having a go at you or trying to be a dick either, that's just plain old truth.

Oh yeah? OH YEAH?! Well......... Yeah. :lol:

On another note, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.
2/15

Anyone else getting it?

As I've already said, if the controls were simialr to say.... Devil May Cry or Resident Evil 4, then it'd make the game too easy.

On an entirely seperate note, I've decided that classic arcade 2D fighters need to come back in fucking style - graphics, gameplay, presentation, music and everything.

Easy isn't the word more like frustrating and nobody wants to play a game to get frustrated.

2D games are coming back...Mavel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Dc Universe...etc ...

It was lots more of an RE game than part 5. The old ones are good but I agree why did they have to make the controls so ass backwards.

Yeah, RE5 was a load of bull. RE4 was amazing though, because that game was creepy as hell most of the time. 5 was like a straight up action game.

Necrobump

In all honesty, I don't think I've ever been on an SNK binge as bad as the one I'm on now. Seriously, I realized that I now own every King of Fighters game on the PS2 with the exception of KoF XI and Maximum Impact 2 - and there's only four SNK compilations that I'm yet to own (Fatal Fury Battale Archives Vol.1, Art of Fighting Anthology, World Heroes Anthology and SNK Arcade Classics) and I've pretty much got everything that SNK/SNK Playmore have released on Playstation and Playstation 2 in the UK.

It's a shame that Samurai Shodown Anthology and Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol.2 won't be released over here on PS2, but fuck it. As soon as I can afford a PSP I'll literally own every SNK fighting game money can buy. Am I obsessed?

Yes. :lol:

I recently got Dante's Inferno, Killzone 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Dead Space 2. All of which are actually pretty disappointing. Although, I remembered that my copy of the new Medal of Honor came with a download for Medal of Honor Frontline HD, so I've been playing that too.

Awesome game is awesome.

Yes. :lol:

I recently got Dante's Inferno, Killzone 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Dead Space 2. All of which are actually pretty disappointing. Although, I remembered that my copy of the new Medal of Honor came with a download for Medal of Honor Frontline HD, so I've been playing that too.

Awesome game is awesome.

What about Dante's Inferno did you find disappointing? It is a God of War ripoff/clone but it has some good game play...a little on the gory side though. In the last week I finished the single player campaign on Black Ops and finally finished God of War 3. Thinking about doing a replay of Fallout:New Vegas. This character is going to specialize in melee weapons, unarmed and explosives. Oh yeah, Caesar's Legion all the way this time.:devil:

I didnt like Dante's either, God of was 3 was ok. But if I have to pick any of those games.... Ninja Gaiden Sigma please. Combos FTW

What about Dante's Inferno did you find disappointing? It is a God of War ripoff/clone but it has some good game play...a little on the gory side though. In the last week I finished the single player campaign on Black Ops and finally finished God of War 3. Thinking about doing a replay of Fallout:New Vegas. This character is going to specialize in melee weapons, unarmed and explosives. Oh yeah, Caesar's Legion all the way this time.:devil:

I'm not really sure what it is I don't like about Dante's Inferno, but something just bugs me about that game..... I think its the fact that it made me realize that I just don't really like those types of games. *shrug* Still LOVE the story and setting though, the gameplay just lacks a bit.

As for New Vegas, I fucking love that game. My copy seems to be one that doesn't fuck up 24/7, so I've gotten about 100 hours into my character. Thanks to Dead Money's new level cap, I'm almost at level 35. :p

My copy of KoF: Orochi Collection arrived yesterday...

.... Ehhhh, it's not without flaws. First big problem I noticed was that the intro sequences (on all five games) are out of sync, and there's a rather irritating sound bug on KoF '98 where you'l start the second round and the announcer goes 'ROUNDD TWO! FIIGH- WINNARRR'... yeah. That gets very annoying very quickly. The challenge mode uses the KoF '98 system all the way through, which feels slightly lazy, and the options are very bare bones - like, literally just difficulty level, music/SFX volume and load/save settings.

The two biggest problems I've got with it though are the game speed and the lack of game modes. Speed first of all, there're NO speed settings whatsoever and since I don't have a 60Hz compatible TV in my room (I've got a VERY old TV) I can't check whether or not it's just a sloppy 50Hz conversion that's causing this and the sync issues. But as forthe game modes, you literally have two options per game - arcade mode (team by default) or training mode. That's it - no Vs. options, no single player select, no survival modes anywhere. Fair enough, there're five games here with a shitload of unlockables and challenges, but even though the conversions are nearly (NEARLY) arcade perfect, some single character modes or at least 'proper' Vs. mode options would've been kind of mandatory.

That said, shit still fucking rules in every other way. The King of Fighters '94 is really difficult to go back to - mostly because it's hilarious in comparison to every other game here - but jesus christ, '97 and '98 are pure fucking gold. Regardless of the ridiculous amount of loading times, bugs, sound errors and speed issues I'm really fucking stoked that I own this compilation. Even though I've been playing SNK's fighters almost as long as I've been playing Capcom's (I think I started playing Fatal Fury in arcades a year after I first played Street Fighter II), and despite being a big capcom fan in the past, I hereby refuse to acknowledge that anybody can make fighting games better than SNK. Guilty Gear and Street fighter are cool, yeah - but SNK are as close to perfection as it can get. Only after playing nearly every KoF game one after another (with the exception of '99) on top of games from the Art of Fighting, The Last Blade, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury and World Heroes series PLUS a bunch of one-off titles (Aggressors of Dark Combat, anyone?) can I genuinely say that the progression they made with their efforts year to year become more and more apparent.

tl;dr - SNK > everything else, the compilation is buggy but fuckwin. Also, inb4 disagreement because you're 100% wrong. And that's not even an opinon.

I'll probably end up picking it up. Dunno when though.

Anyone else laugh their ass off when they saw that Duke Nukem Forever got pushed back? :lol: