The Console & Video Game Topic

As a post script to the entire Mass Effect affair, some small bit of justice has been served. In large part due to the reaction of the gaming community, Cooper Lawrence has actually spent some time with Mass Effect and retracted her statements. Here are some links with the proof:

NY Times

Game Politics

Destructoid

It is unfortunate that she let Fox News use her thusly and didn't do her research before shooting off her mouth, and many of her points about games and ratings will no doubt linger on as problematic, but we can still say 'score one for gamers'.

EDIT: I just came across this clip from G4's Adam Sessler about this very subject. Score! I have a newfound respect for the man.

Yeah, I saw the Mass Stupidity thing on X-Play yesterday and was quite pleased. Anyway, turning from the usual media game-bashing to personal gaming, I beat two whole games this week! First, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law on Wii. It's an extremely stripped down version of Phoenix Wright and I would ONLY recommend it to people who love the show, everyone else will find themselves lost and unentertained. On the other hand, in my Hardcore Nintendo Pre-Brawl phase, I beat Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Now, I didn't dislike it, but it was probably my least favorite Zelda game. I had more fun playing the other portable Zeldas and I wouldn't recommend this game over any of the console Zeldas... well, maybe better than Zelda II. But overall, I found this game lacking the one thing that all other Zelda games filled me with, the compulsive need to keep playing. I'd spend an hour or so with it, but then I'd get bored, walk away and come back a few weeks later for another hour or so. I found the gameplay gimmicky, only useful when doing stuff like writing on the map or using an item like the boomerang, but movement and attacking with the stylus were both completely unnecessary. The dungeons weren't that interesting, the characters weren't that interesting (Besides Linebeck, he was an awesome character), and while I really liked sailing around in Wind Waker, the sailing and treasure salvaging in Phantom Hourglass were more irritating than anything. And my final argument against the game, The Temple of the Ocean King. One of the most repetitive, annoying and unsatisfying parts of any game I've ever played, nonetheless a Zelda game. Now, beyond those arguments, the game is still decent fun, it's one of the best looking DS games and came out at a time when there really wasn't a lot going for new DS games. And it is a Zelda game, so it can't be complete crap, but it was very disappointing when you relate it to the high standard set by the rest of the series. Overall, I'd recommend that Zelda fans give it a try, you might find yourself enjoying it. For everyone else, it's still above the curve as far as quality games on DS go. But I wouldn't say you need to go buy a DS to play this game... because you really don't. I'd rather play Minish Cap again.

Devil may cry 4 = pure devilies
Culdcept SAGA=fun strategy game( i recomend that you download the demo)

I'm probably going to pick up DMC4 at some point. The hold back right now is that you play half the game as one character, and then you switch to Dante and backtrack over the same stuff you just played.. including boss battles. That doesn't sound very fun. What a cheap way to extend a game.

Though the demo was pretty cool.

I have so many games piled up that i haven't even gotten to touch some of them.. so i'm in no rush. Right now i have gone back as far as Beautiful Katamari. Much love for the madness of katamari. I don't care what reviewers say. I hope they never change the formula.

Devil May Cry 4 is pretty fun, but it really is just the same old stuff in a shiny new package. Hey, sometimes a game is strong enough to do that and still be classic like Zelda or Metal Gear, but Devil May Cry was fun back in 2001, the same stuff just doesn't seem as refreshing in 2008. I don't hate it, but I feel it could've been better than just a graphics update.

Anyway, going back to my Brawl Obsession, I'm slowly progressing through a back catalog of Nintendo games in anticipation and preparation, which is really hitting me hard right NOW considering that if not for the latest delay, I'd be calling out of work and playing Brawl right now. Kirby Superstar has been beaten, as well as Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and a good way through Mario Galaxy again. I've pulled up ye olde NES Emulator and I've rocked the old school of Donkey Kong, Ice Climber and Kid Icarus. Granted, I've had my butt kicked, but still enjoying myself. I highly recommend Metroid Prime 3 to shooter fans, it took me awhile to get into it, but I'm loving it now. And Pikmin 2 on Gamecube is my favorite form of virtual slavery.

Also, for obvious reasons, I've been playing a lot of Smash Bros. Melee. I've been going back and playing through the single player modes on harder difficulties than ever before and finding out that I'm better at the game than I ever thought I was! It says a lot when a game that's over 6 years old can still hold my interest for hours. Hooray for me! Go Samus!

so its been a while since anyone said anything so im gona say if you have a psp GET PATAPON DEMO CASUE ITS A GREAT GAME THAT FUN!!!!!

Hah yeah, I've been been walking around going "pon pon pata pon" constantly. It almost makes me wish i had a PSP (except about the only things that interest me on it are Patapon and Wipeout Pulse)

Yeah, so I haven't updated my gaming news in awhile and there's plenty to talk about, like Smash Bros Brawl and Lost Odyssey, but I figured this needed to be posted, as it is the ROCKINGEST THING IN GAMING HISTORY. Today, Harmonix announced what their first downloadable full album is for Rock Band. It will be coming Tuesday, Prepare to Scream For Vengeance!!

From wired.com...

First Downloadable Rock Band Album: Judas Priest

"Heavy metal fans are about to get a very special Rock Band treat.

Judas Priest's classic Screaming for Vengeance will be released next week as the first full album available for the popular game's online music store, MTV said Friday.

"In the domain of metal, this is a historic, influential album," Alex Rigopulos, CEO of Rock Band developer Harmonix, told Wired.com.

Priced at $15, the album will be available on Xbox 360 on April 22 and PlayStation 3 on April 24.

Individual tracks from the British band's 1982 disc, including the No. 1 hit "You've Got Another Thing Comin'," will be available for $2 each.

Harmonix said two more albums, The Cars self-titled debut and The Pixies' Doolittle, would become available for Rock Band in May and June, respectively.

Downloadable add-on songs have been a huge moneymaker for Rock Band since the game's launch last November. MTV and Harmonix have sold more than 8 million extra songs at an average price of $2 each. More than 80 songs are currently available from the in-game Music Store, more than are available on the $60 game disc.

The downloads currently available in Rock Band's store are packaged as both single tracks and packages of songs from the same artists, including Boston and The Grateful Dead. Motley Crue was the first band to use Rock Band to release a new single, "Saints of Los Angeles."

Downloads of full albums have been promised since before Rock Band launched.

MTV originally announced that Who's Next, the classic album by The Who, would be the first full disc available for download, but we've heard nothing about it since the original announcement last May. Ditto Nirvana's Nevermind, which appeared in a leaked list of upcoming downloadable content that MTV later confirmed was real.

MTV maintains that all will be revealed in due time. "We really can't go wrong with the albums that we have in the queue," said Paul DeGooyer, MTV's SVP of electronic games and music. "We plan to release albums on a regular basis."

As for the selection of Judas Priest for the first album, MTV said that the tracks simply had the distinction of being finished first.

"The process of asset delivery for a complete album is actually pretty complicated," explained DeGooyer. He says that the biggest issue with turning music tracks into Rock Band levels is that until relatively recently, recording studios did a lousy job of keeping master tracks straight.

"Nobody anticipated there would be any use for the multitrack masters after they made the albums," he said. Master tapes were frequently labeled or filed incorrectly, or simply lost as time passed.

Boston's self-titled debut could have been been the first album released for Rock Band, but "one of the masters from that first album was lost. The band tracked one song in a different location," said DeGooyer. So Rock Band fans got a six-pack of songs from the album, instead.

Filing and indexing of master recordings improved drastically about 10 years ago, so if your musical tastes run to newer fare, you should be in luck. Those of us hoping to rock out to older albums will simply have to cross our fingers and hope that someone in the studio had a case of OCD.

Of course, Rock Band fans whose consoles aren't connected to the internet won't be able to join in the album-downloading fun. Owners of the PlayStation 2 and upcoming Wii version of the game won't have a download store at all.

Rigopulos said that Harmonix is exploring ways to keep these fans happy, too.

"We want to make this content available to as broad an audience as possible, and we're examining all our options," he said."

Oh, this is only the beginning, I will totally be buying my Priesty Package of Joy on Monday, and hopefully will follow in the future with other rumored metal classics like Master of Puppets, and is it too much to hope for Piece of Mind/Powerslave?

I dunno if I've just gone too long without playing this kind of old school platformer, but Mega Man 9 is HARD. I mean, i knew it was going to be hard going in, but jeez. The only way you get through the game, more so than in most games, is trial and error till you learn what you need to do.

Take the first stage. You go through some typical platforming stuff of mild difficulty until you get to some elephants. The first one is easy, just jump the ladder and shoot. The second elephant in the next room takes a try to get your timing right to get under the ball bounces. Then you move to the next room and are immediately hit with a third elephant/ball over broken terrain. The real problem is, you get mad enough at the thing that you become determined to not let this game beat you, so you keep at it, heh.

I have been so out of the video game loop, it isn't even funny.

I know I should probably be working on finishing the latest Zelda game, but I haven't had any desire in months to move past where I left off (end of the second dungeon).

Wow, I had no idea that C. plays video games. I also play some video games myself.

Since I know that C. has played at least one Zelda game (and maybe more than one), I know of a rather funny story involving Link, the main character of the Zelda games. It might make C. laugh big time or piss her off.

Wow, I had no idea that C. plays video games. I also play some video games myself.

Oh yes, I love video games. Just never have much time to play them anymore. And I don't have a thousand bucks to go blow on a new video game console and games, so I still have my trusty old Gamecube. :lol:

Although my boyfriend did get a PS2 for Christmas, and I've been playing some games on that. The Sopranos game was just as disappointing and quick-to-end as the TV series. Smackdown vs. Raw '09 is f*ckin' awesome. And the TNA Impact! game, I have not played yet myself, but I've watched my boyfriend go through Story Mode and it looks like great fun.

Since I know that C. has played at least one Zelda game (and maybe more than one), I know of a rather funny story involving Link, the main character of the Zelda games. It might make C. laugh big time or piss her off.

LOL, I've pretty much read any and every rumor/fanfic about Zelda, Link, and Tinkle (the most annoying character in a Zelda game ever!), so it would probably make me laugh. So long as it's not the bunk "clue" about unfreezing Zora's Domain in Ocarina of Time, one of the most played-out rumors in internet history. :lol:

Oh yes, I love video games. Just never have much time to play them anymore. And I don't have a thousand bucks to go blow on a new video game console and games, so I still have my trusty old Gamecube. :lol:

I also don't have much money to buy video games either. Plus, I don't have very many video game consoles since they cost a lot more the games themselves. There are also portable game systems as well (Nintendo DS, PSP, and some others), which have the advantage of being cheaper than consoles (which are hooked up to a TV). My lack of money means I end up playing more video games for portable game systems than for consoles, though I do have some consoles myself.

LOL, I've pretty much read any and every rumor/fanfic about Zelda, Link, and Tinkle (the most annoying character in a Zelda game ever!), so it would probably make me laugh. So long as it's not the bunk "clue" about unfreezing Zora's Domain in Ocarina of Time, one of the most played-out rumors in internet history. :lol:

Correction: Tingle

And no, this story has nothing to do with fanfics at all or about that Ocarina of Time rumor either. I tried to not give out any hints as to what this story is about, just to get the suspense going.

I will say that the story is about Link getting crushed in a video game popularity contest by a video game character that wasn't even expected by most people to make it out of the first round. The video game character that would later defeat Link somehow managed to advance all the way to the final match (round 6) of the contest.

First, I will provide a small backstory before going into the real deal:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4964/storyb.png

Here is the actual story that you've been waiting for:

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/8059/story2.png

The entire story was so long that I would end up with a really long post in this topic. So I had to cut down the size of this post, especially since there are no spoiler tags here.

Correction: Tingle

I thought I wrote "Tingle", but I just now realized I made a typo. Then again, as much as I hate Tingle, maybe "tinkle" is more appropriate. Piss on him! :lol:

Was that contest on Game FAQs? I've tried to enter but they always tell me that I'm already registered, when I'm not. :rolleyes:

I also don't have much money to buy video games either. Plus, I don't have very many video game consoles since they cost a lot more the games themselves. There are also portable game systems as well (Nintendo DS, PSP, and some others), which have the advantage of being cheaper than consoles (which are hooked up to a TV). My lack of money means I end up playing more video games for portable game systems than for consoles, though I do have some consoles myself.

Yeah, I pretty much have old consoles these days. I still have my Dreamcast simply for the most addicting game ever made, Crazy Taxi! I still play it; over the last few months especially I've tried to get a game in every night before bed.

I'm going to read this story and get back to you on it.

Yeah, I pretty much have old consoles these days. I still have my Dreamcast simply for the most addicting game ever made, Crazy Taxi! I still play it; over the last few months especially I've tried to get a game in every night before bed.

I'm going to read this story and get back to you on it.

OMG! Another Dreamcast owner! I'm not alone!:headbang:

Yes, the DC version of Crazy Taxi is the most addictive of the bunch (as all other incarnations after the PS2 version are severely watered-down). My personal faves on the console are Soul Calibur, Tech Romancer and Sega Bass Fishing.

^Hell yeah, I bought my Dreamcast back in '01, and got a good deal on it because the store wanted to get rid of them to make room for the new PS2s.

For a long time, I would have said easily that Crazy Taxi 2 was my favorite of the two (because you can jump anytime instead of looking for the ramps like Crazy Taxi 1). But, I do also love the original Crazy Taxi because the scenery is supposed to be like California and certain parts of it do remind me of real-life places in So. Cal. (namely Orange County and San Diego).

I know there is a Crazy Taxi 3 for XBox, but damned if Bill Gates will get any more of my money. :lol: And I also know that game takes place in Vegas, which I'd really like to see. But what I'd love is to see a Crazy Taxi release that combined the best of the first 2 games.

Does anyone know if Crazy Taxi 2 or 3 was ever released for PS2 or Gamecube (I know the first one was)? I know they are making new games up until '10 before phasing them out to PS3 for good.