The Console & Video Game Topic

Yeah, if I'm fairly familiar with the song (Garbage, Black Sabbath) than expert really isn't all that hard. I KNOW I haven't been singing in tune, even.

I enjoy the drumming a lot, but I SUCK at it. I'll get off the beat and never find my way back on it. I think it's really good for me though, I've always needed more rhythm practice.

I haven't tried the guitar yet actually, I guess I figure it is similar enough to guitar hero that's it's not like OH MAN MUST TRY THIS NEW AND EXCITING THING!!

ORANGE BOX! Chris got that and is demanding that I play Portal once I have a spare second.

Indeed, I think everyone needs to try Portal once they have a spare second. I say that because the game only takes a spare second to beat, but it's so sweet while you're playing it! And after my current Half-Life 2 addiction, I hope to God that the Portal Gun is somehow incorporated into Half Life 2 Episode 3!

Nice. I just noticed that Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast got released as a Rock Band download. I guess it's new for this week. Unfortunately it is a cover, but i'll still take it.

rl friends? what are those? :p

I'm adoring Sims 2 Castaway on my Wii. Also have Super Mario Galaxy and the first Raving Rabbids, but have yet to try them out.

Bah! Smash Bros Brawl was pushed back ANOTHER month in the US to March 9! And to rub salt in the wounds, the first review of it from Famitsu in Japan comes out today and it's a Perfect 40/40!! I know this should raise hopes but it feels like a real kick in the crotch after the delay! This also proves that the game is essentially finished in Japan, and the Japanese version got pushed back one week, the US release gets pushed back one month! Argh, I know I've been waiting over six years for a new Smash Bros, but another 30 days feels like such a long time now that we've been getting so close to the release date!

Oh well, at least this isn't like when Twilight Princess got pushed back an entire year from 2005 to 2006. I survived that, I can survive this, but I refuse to stop pouting. I'll just catch up on my 2nd time through Galaxy and Twilight Princess in anticipation as well as finish Metroid Prime 3, I've also busted out Kirby Super Star for SNES and I'm looking for a used Pikmin 2 after the announcement on Smashbros.com that Olimar and the Pikmin would be a character in Brawl! I'm totally going into Nintendo Geek mode until March 9, can you tell?

Sometimes I wish I didn't believe in Miyamoto's mantra that "A bad game is always bad, a delayed game is eventually good" And I'm guessing this extra month is to ensure that good = great in this smash bros situation.

Sometimes I wish I didn't believe in Miyamoto's mantra that "A bad game is always bad, a delayed game is eventually good" And I'm guessing this extra month is to ensure that good = great in this smash bros situation.

Usually true, but there are certainly exceptions. Who could forget Daikatana? hehe. Sometimes when a game gets repeatedly pushed back, it's because it really sucks and odds are that when it finally sees the light of day it will be mediocre at best. There is another game (one for the 360) that was recently sent back to the lab because reviewers said that it was "Terrible". I can't remember what it is right now, but hey, it happens.

Thankfully that is rarely a problem with first party Nintendo games. They probably just want to perfect such a highly anticipated title. Polish the edges and all of that.

Though i suppose it's easy for me to say. I picked up SSBM a few years ago, in large part because of how much many people at the OSA would rave about it, and i didn't really care for it. The controls annoyed me to no end. So it's not like i am set to run out and buy a Wii for Brawl (i know, heresy :p)

Yeah, so in my Pre-Brawl Nintendo Geekiness, I've devoted myself to beating, or re-beating at least 1 Nintendo-Brand game on each of Nintendo's 5 home consoles. For Starters, Super Mario Bros 3 on NES (Well, the Mario All-Stars version). I've actually never beaten SMB3 before, so this is a pretty big step for me. On SNES I'm looking to get through all the games of Kirby Super Star, from Dyna Blade to the Great Cave Offensive to Revenge of Meta-Knight, some kickass games in this collection and I'm gonna beat em all! However, I'm still a little undecided on N64, I just downloaded Sin & Punishment on the Virtual Console and it's probably gonna end up being the main game I play on N64 because I've pretty much beaten every other game of value on the system that I still have or downloaded on the Wii like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64, etc. On the Gamecube I found a great-quality copy of Pikmin 2, and I have much little plantmonster slavedriving to do. And finally, on the Wii I got Metroid Prime 3, having already beaten Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy, I'll put my second runs through those games on hold for now. And if all that is achieved, maybe I'll pick up my DS again and get back to work on Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, GOD that game is filled with fun AND frustration!

So that's at least 5 games (Or more if you think about Kirby Super Star) I want to get through between now and March 9. Will I survive and achieve my goals? Well... maybe if Devil May Cry 4 wasn't coming out in February... that'll be a hurdle to jump over.

Never beaten Mario 3!?

....::STARE::

YOU SIT DOWN AT THAT CONSOLE RIGHT NOW, MR.! AND DON'T GET UP UNTIL YOU'VE BEATEN IT!

lolol Tramz, I hate the controls for most fighting games but SSB is totally intuitive to me.... and even if they weren't, the sheer chaos that results from a group of people playing makes it awesome.

Yay! My friend from NJ went into the marines and just happens to be stationed here in GA so Chris and I went to pick him up and got in some multiplayer Rock Band time! Now we just need one more player for a complete band!

Never beaten Mario 3!?

....::STARE::

YOU SIT DOWN AT THAT CONSOLE RIGHT NOW, MR.! AND DON'T GET UP UNTIL YOU'VE BEATEN IT!

Yes sir! Right away! On the bright side, my Nintendo conquest is going quite well so far! Kirby Super Star has been fully defeated and I'm making nice strides in Pikmin 2 (Why didn't I beat this game years ago? I've played it before, but never REALLY got into it until now and DAMN it's a lot of fun! I'm the cutest li'l slavedriver!) Anywho, regarding Super Mario 3... I can use Warp Whistles, right? I mean all that really matters is that the game is beaten, the details of exactly HOW I do it aren't that important, right?

Dude.

NO.

With wrap whistles you can get through the game by playing like...2 worlds :p

(I do admit though that the first few times I beat it was with game genie ^^; but then I saw my friend's sister beat it without aid)

For anyone interested, i posted a lengthy commentary on the recent events surrounding Mass Effect, Fox News, EA, and Cooper Lawrence. It's a pretty fascinating series of ongoing events (in reaction to the usual ignorance and fear mongering about video games) if i do say so myself.

I also included links to the relevant video and articles.

It can be read on my Multiply page.

Interesting but nothing really surprising in that, reminds me of Michael Moore. There is a real problem in society, but instead of serious approach in order to cure it people like MM and this Lawrence rather try to commercialize it and collect the benefit for themselves.

All this crap reside from the fact that parents are not able/willing/committed to take care of their brats any more. They rather try to look and find for someone/-thing to blame instead of raising their kids. I think that this phenomenon is worse in the USA due the sue-happy society and unlimited financial compensations possible for (even imaginary, sic!) sufferings someone is able to get through at civil court.

right now im playing earthbound on snes for the 100th time in my life. then ill start replaying dr. mario and tetris on nes when i beat it. maybe rehook up the old atari and play frogger or pong.

The thing I found most disturbing about the whole Mass Effect mess was Lawrence FREELY ADMITTING that she had NEVER PLAYED THE GAME. And that was totally okay with the newscrew, she had no sense of embarrassment at all.

It just amazes me that you can go through school here and fail for writing a paper without having read the book, you're told how to document sources and present the most accurate unbiased picture.......... and yet the mass media pays people to do the opposite. It's like, the more sensational and dishonest the better. It's amazing the amount of newsclips you can look up on youtube that are so bizarre and outlandish and false you'd think they were intentionally being comedic.

Geez, even over here on OSA if someone started mouthing off about an album they'd never listened to no one would take their opinion seriously, yet Lawrence gets to go on national news?

I need to play Portal....

I need to play earthbound too....I was going to start playing on http://virtualnes.com/ at work but work has started to be verra verra busy, no time!

this is why I don't bother with news shows. Not a single statement out of any of those people aside from Geoff was worth anything. "Let me at him!" she says derisively. What a stupid bitch. If your kid can't tell the difference between games and reality (as I was from the tender age of 7) then it's purely the product of your own poor child-raising and poor example. I guess they think that when people reach the magically safe age of 18, they suddenly realize this difference and no longer need to be policed by the chosen idiot media gods employed by their abset self-involved parents. And AHEM, no teenage girls or grown women play video games? Please.

One key point that i mentioned in my commentary was the fact that you could train a retarded chimpanzee to enter the System Controls blade on the X360 and lock out games based on their rating. It's *that* easy. So if all they are truly concerned about is kids playing games with objectionable content (which Mass Effect doesn't even have) where is the controversy here?

So to me it seems entirely like they want to keep games with edgy content from being made altogether (away from even grown adults), as when Cooper Lawrence wonders why Mass Effect wasn't made AO (which it doesn't deserve anyway) she and they surely know damn well the reasons why not. Microsoft and the other console manufacturers have already declared that they won't allow an AO game on their systems. Major retailers like Walmart have said they won't stock AO games. So obviously the agenda they are pushing is to eliminate such games altogether.

Honestly, I've been seeing the updates on the whole Mass Effect thing updates on Joystiq.com and the other sites I check, but honestly the whole thing seems kinda stupid and the woman kinda made an ass of herself to the public by admitting she'd never played the game. To me it kinda reminds me of a little kid who won't try a new food and insist it's because they don't like it.

Honestly, video games have been under fire since Mortal Kombat back in 1993 and nothing has really changed. Politicians still bitch, but nothing has really changed, the corporate gaming machine has rolled ever onwards and this to me won't make any more difference than it did when the media attacked Grand Theft Auto or Manhunt or Bully or the racism hidden in Resident Evil 5, a Japanese-made game that won't even be out for another year. Also, gamers were seeing full on nudity and having fake sex back in God of War about 3 years ago and there were no reports then, they were also doing much more horrible things to people in God of War than they do in Mass Effect, like driving blades through their faces and tearing them in half. Yet, nobody talked about God of War. Smell hypocrisy much?

Luckily, one of the recent news murmurs I have heard is that the Entertainment Software Association is doing what sadly needs to be done by industries in America to secure their rights as an industry, and that's contribute money. Yes, the ESA is forming a lobby in government and money-hungry parties and government bodies should stand up and take notice, seeing as how the gaming industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and an industry that continues to grow in the face of economic recession. I just can't wait until our generation starts to move into power and realizes the strength of the gaming market. I'm sure if the ESA came knocking on the Hillary Clinton campaign door with campaign funds, her attitude towards violent video games would change overnight. God Bless the Free Market.

Ed Note: I actually enjoyed God of War a lot more than I'm enjoying Mass Effect, so don't consider this an attack on the game, it's an attack on the ignorant media.

Honestly, video games have been under fire since Mortal Kombat back in 1993 and nothing has really changed.

Except the reaction by gamers. While it may have happened before elsewhere, on non-game related topics, this is the first time that gamers have really gone after one of these people in such a creative manner (the "critibombing" of her books in order to hurt sales). That makes it noteworthy.

Also, Mortal Kombat was pretty intense for that era. Mass Effect barely registers. So the outrage to their supposed objection is even more justified than perhaps ever before.

But you are right, nothing will immediately change for the worse. The industry voluntarily agreed to the ESRB's as a way to avoid unwanted legislation. Unfortunately, many retailers now act like those ratings *are* law.

Luckily, one of the recent news murmurs I have heard is that the Entertainment Software Association is doing what sadly needs to be done by industries in America to secure their rights as an industry, and that's contribute money. Yes, the ESA is forming a lobby in government and money-hungry parties and government bodies should stand up and take notice, seeing as how the gaming industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and an industry that continues to grow in the face of economic recession. I just can't wait until our generation starts to move into power and realizes the strength of the gaming market. I'm sure if the ESA came knocking on the Hillary Clinton campaign door with campaign funds, her attitude towards violent video games would change overnight. God Bless the Free Market.

The free market is killing this country in terms of import/export (we import as much as 90% of our goods in some markets.. not really great for the domestic workforce), so until we can get our butts into gear, i suppose you could say i am something of an economic protectionist. But yeah, i shudder to think what would happen to gaming with Hilary as president. Luckily she lost another primary tonight (Saturday), and by a huge margin, which keeps her candidacy from being assured. Personally i am for Obama, but considering politics is a no-win/all-lose discussion, i'd like to stay as far as away from mainstream politics discussion as possible, so let's not go any deeper there.

Back to the topic at hand, i assume you are referring to the creation of the ECA (Electronic Consumers Association). It is a watchdog group that exists, in their own words, "to defend against political activity that is threatening the creation and publishing of video games." I truly hope it does come to some kind of power. While i am against lobbyist groups as a rule, gaming needs something in a position of real power to defend itself. However, they need, as you say, money. But also support, lawyers, and a landmark case to sink their teeth into that can help them make a name for themselves. Until they can show that they have some bite, it's really just a lot of talk.

A primary message of the ECA is that we can no longer simply ignore these attacks. An unanswered attack does damage. Just look at the difference between a Leisure Suit Larry game of the 1980's which needed no ratings, and the climate of today where a game that shows like a split second of bare butt can be a target. Things have obviously gotten worse as the market expands. So like the ECA, i get outraged when i see this kind of thing. I don't simply shrug my shoulders and figure it amounts to nothing because, as the formation of the ECA tells us, that level of complacency can be dangerous.