The Vinyl/Collector's Thread

Ghoul/Cannabis Corpse split 12 goes live tomorrow.

Rarest edition is 300 copies, they all look badass

6xulwz.jpg

So I finally broke down and jumped on the earache full dynamic range bandwagon. Just put an order in for their version of morbid angel - covenant on grey marbled clear vinyl. Considering clandestine as we'll.

The shit they do is ridiculous. That being said they pretty much own an era of death metal that's pretty important to me. So if I want morbid angel or entombed or even carcass or nocturnus now, I dont think theres much other option. Although I bought that vinyl from hells headbangers, whom I'd rather support any day.

With a little patience you could probably find original presses from all those bands on eBay for a similar price to what Earache are charging.

You don't often see Thresholds or Clandestine on eBay though, I have to admit... (and I own neither myself)

You know, that's actually really interesting for me to hear.

Similarly, I'm equally unexcited by all the fancy ultra heavyweight deluxe gatefold LPs being repressed by Back on Black and Earache etc. (who are only using the 'full dynamic range' thing as a way to cash in on the stars of their former roster, just like all their recent CD reissues of classic Carcass, Morbid Angel and Cathedral albums). Also I prefer my record's sleeves to have a bit of wear... I like knowing I own say, a copy of Altars of Madness which has been enjoyed since the day it came out and is still enjoyed today.

Interesting! :)

Regarding the FDR reissues. I happen to quite enjoy these releases. I have been buying them from amazon.co.uk for aabout $18 each shipped to USA. No way I could get Left Hand Path for that price.

Anyway I have a number of the FDR albums. Left Hand Path, the Carcass reissues, Covenant and have Clandestine when it is released.

These are nothing fancy with jackets. Single LPs non gatefold replicas of the original. I think they sound really good.
I am glad they are reissue all of their old good stuff because I want alot of it. I am eagerly awaiting any news on a reissue of Slaughter of the Soul too

Anyway in short I like this FDR series so far.
So to cast doubt on anything I say I will go ahead and reveal my latest LP. I have preordered Lady Gaga's Artpop album. Its ok thought because I saw a guy over at the NWN vinyl forum post a picture of a Justin Timberlake LP. haha We all have guilty pleasures.

I misspoke about Covenant being gatefold. It is gatefold. The others I mentioned though are not such as Left Hand Path, Heartwork, Necroticism ect.

sorry

Let me pose a question. How often do you listen to a particular new LP before you are on the next record. I buy alot of vinyl and sometimes never fully digest the album before my next new order arrives.

I have nearly 800 LPs not including the 500 cds I own. I feel like sometimes I am just collecting and not listening enough. Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes and no.

Im listening plenty. I mean fuck, for the kind of cash Im paying for some of this shit, I better get some fucking use out of it.

BUT, im also collecting many.

The way I look at it is I got two sets of vinyls.

1) Wax I spin on the regular

AND

2) Wax I hardly ever spin (its just cool to own).

I definitely buy to collect or to own, but more so, I buy to experience the album. Most of the records I own are records that I already know and love..The exception being pre-orders where I already know the band and can rely on them to deliver the goods.

For me to light up a blunt, dim the lights, and spin a piece of wax, its gotta be something thats special to me.

For me just to collect it, is different.

Demilich boxset is available for preorder now. When it was revealed it fucking crashed svart records website. 70 bucks shipped to the US but if you want one I wouldn't wait.

One thing I think some may not think about is that spending way more on your music collection than on your hifi gear is a bit a of a strange choice. If you've never heard a really good set up then I can understand it though.

There are three levels,

level 1 shitty failure to put out the sound at even a basic level, as found with $50 ghetto blasters and $20 PC speakers, also see broken equipment and poor quality source material, scratched up vinyl etc

level 2 good, reasonably powerful replication but with only average fidelity. Probably quite electronic sounding, if good to the untrained ear. Requires decent speaker position to attain this level and about £300 absolute minimum for the gear.

level 3 hifi. This should be self explanatory. An attempt at finding the wholly grail. You can spend £50K and still not reach perfection. Depends on your ears too.

£50k? ... You're talking about a fucking studio quality-esque set up there though man, your average record collector under the age of 30 couldn't possibly conceive investing that amount of money on their set up. Of course you're right though. You could spend thousands and thousands on a pair of headphones, if you wanted.

By your levels my set up fits into level 2, with my amp/turntable/speakers and cabling costing around £450-500 all together. It's far from top end, but it's fine for the room I have it in and the kind of music I play using it (which are usually quite low fi recordings, anyway).