the "what are you currently listening to" thread

I sort of half-listened to the new Dream Theater album last night but woke up with this song in my head because we all know Octavarium is their best album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nightwish - Sahara

So Floor Jansen is officially their vocalist now. I'm sure she'll do fine, but I can't help but feeling a bit disappointed. She's good, but I don't like her anywhere near as much as I do Tarja and Anette.

I have yet to fully get into any dream theatre album. I just dunno...I listen, then I want to go listen to something else. Its wierd. Ive tried. New album was the same for me.

I wasn't all that big on DT until years after I started listening to them. For a long time, I was only really into Awake (still my favorite) and Scenes From a Memory. Then one day I started givingthe other stuff another shot, and a lot of clicked with me for some reason.

I sort of half-listened to the new Dream Theater album last night but woke up with this song in my head because we all know Octavarium is their best album.

Octavarium is what I call a flawed masterpiece. It's marred somewhat by The Answer Lies Within - which I consider a very mediocre work - and Sacrificed Sons - which makes me cringe - but the rest of the songs are so awesome they more than make up for it.

It's a close toss up between that album and Six Degrees for me. I think Six Degrees might take the cake though. That opinion is subject to change BTW.

Six Degrees has never done a whole lot for me. The only song I consider one of their best is Misunderstood (it reminds me of Porcupine Tree in one of their better moments). It's been a while since I listened to it all the way through though, so I should probably give it another go.

Sacrificed Sons - which makes me cringe

Oh yeah, the lyrics on that one are so cheesy. In fact, there's a lot of cheesy lyrics on that album (see: I Walk Beside You) but I still like all the musical aspects of every song.

I'd say BC&SL and A Dramatic Turn Of Events rank 2 and 3. I haven't heard anyone else rank those two as high as I do so my opinion on that is probably pretty null.

Six Degrees has never done a whole lot for me. The only song I consider one of their best is Misunderstood (it reminds me of Porcupine Tree in one of their better moments). It's been a while since I listened to it all the way through though, so I should probably give it another go.

Do it. Six Degrees is not only their best album, it's one of the greatest albums of all time. Period.

A lot of love for Dream Theater. :) I'm an "old school" fan from back when "Pull Me Under" hit the radio. So "Awake" and "Images and Words" are my favorites by them, with "A Change of Seasons" being one of my favorite songs of all time (if not the favorite). Just for nostalgia's sake, I am not sure that will ever change. I have trouble ranking their other CDs, though it would be fairly easy for me to say Systematic Chaos is my least favorite (not that I dislike it). That being said, I enjoy just about everything they have done, to varying degrees. Heck...easily 10% of my almost 1000 CDs are Dream Theater or related side projects!

Conception - Cardinal Sin

I forgot how much I like this album and dusted it off recently. Khan before Kamelot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I should really listen to Avantasia again. I have the Metal Opera, but I never bothered to go any further than that. What I heard and reviews I read of some of their other stuff was pretty lackluster.

It took me a long time to enjoy anything of theirs that wasn't The Metal Opera albums. Probably because The Scarecrow and The Wicked Symphony are pretty meh (although with time I will probably learn to enjoy those too). The Mystery of Time is the best one since TMOs, imo. Other people on this forum will pretty much slaughter me for saying that though.

Edit: Currently listening to I Am.

It took me a long time to enjoy anything of theirs that wasn't The Metal Opera albums. Probably because The Scarecrow and The Wicked Symphony are pretty meh (although with time I will probably learn to enjoy those too). The Mystery of Time is the best one since TMOs, imo. Other people on this forum will pretty much slaughter me for saying that though.

Edit: Currently listening to I Am.

I concur that The Metal Operas are the best of Avantasia. I haven't listened to The Mystery of Time yet, though, so I will also have to give that a listen. I'm sure I'll eventually buy it.

Other people on this forum will pretty much slaughter me for saying that though.

I don't see any reason for this, Avantasia is a good and everyone's welcome to appreciate their music in their own personal way.

I still kind of like Edguy's prime more than Avantasia's anything, although both are favorites.