the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Delain - Milk And Honey

The new album is a bit of a surprise in the Delain got heavier and yet more pop at the same time. Great stuff though. Not as brilliant as April Rain, but awesome nonetheless.

Delain - We Are The Others

Relates to the murder of Sophie Lancaster.

Ooh! I should check out that album. I never got April Rain. D:

All of Delain's work is worth getting IMO.

On their first album, Lucidity, it's really a project as opposed to an actual band. They bring in a whole bunch of guest musicians, and the vocalists (in addition to Charlotte) include Liv Kristine Krull, Marco Hietala, and Sharon den Adel. It has a fairly unified feel considering this. The music itself is fairly standard symphonic metal, but it's a very solid and pretty interesting album. I particularly recommend the song "The Gathering."

April Rain was a huge step forward for them, and one of my all-time favorite albums. They have a true band this time, and that helped a lot. They retain much of the symphonic sound, but move more into pop-metal territory here. Every song is super-catchy and instantly memorable. Charlotte Wessels gets the spotlight this time, and deservedly so - she improved dramatically between albums and became one of the best singers I've ever heard. She also turned out to be a mighty fine lyricist too - this is a VERY well written album. Marco Hietala provides some addition vocals on a couple of tracks (and does an awesome job too. I was kind of disappointed he didn't make an appearance on the third outing).

We Are The Others, as I said above, is both heavier and more pop-oriented. Some of the songs barely even qualify as metal, but they sure are great. It's an interesting direction for Delain to take - maybe even a bit of a gamble - but I think they pulled it off well. Charlotte of course is superb again. She's probably the most underrated female singer in metal,. "Get The Devil Out of Me" is the single, but "Milk and Honey" and the title track will give you a better feel for the album and Delain in general.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm a bit of a Delain fanboy. :D

Two days ago I found out they'll be playing in the town I live in in a couple of months. :D

Broken by Voyager.

Hmm, I can't say how much I'll enjoy the whole "pop metal" thing. But we'll see. My tastes are changing to the point that I'm not even sure what I like (or will like).

Two days ago I found out they'll be playing in the town I live in in a couple of months. :D

Sweet. From what I've heard, they're good live.
Hmm, I can't say how much I'll enjoy the whole "pop metal" thing. But we'll see. My tastes are changing to the point that I'm not even sure what I like (or will like).

M@rs, here's the video for the song April Rain. Unfortunately, they edited it down a bit, but it should give you a good idea of Delain at one of their more "pop" moments.

If you can deal with that, you shouldn't have any problem with the rest. They definitely have darker, more metal songs too.

Listening to Holding On by Children 18:3 off their new album, On The Run.

As much as I've been enjoying We Are The Others, this album has been getting a lot more of my attention. I've been a fan of theirs ever since I got their sophomore album, Rains' 'A Coming and I was expecting this to be good, but it turned out to be even better than I'd hoped. It's easily their best work and the best album of 2012 so far (and probably will remain so for me). Not only are the songs all awesome, but the Christian themes are a lot more pronounced this time. On the previous release, there were definitely Christian elements, but they tended to be more subtle.

I also have personal reasons for liking On The Run. Ever had the feeling that God was reaching out to you through music? I mentioned once a while back that Mirror of Souls was like that for me when I found it. It's a similar feeling with this. On The Run has come along at a time in my life when I really need encouragement, and listening to these songs has really helped me. It's a difficult thing to put into words.

Anyway, as you no doubt can guess, I highly recommend it. I should warn you though - it's not metal. Children 18:3 have been described as punk rock with garage rock elements, and I supposes that's pretty accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too! Hopefully a follow up album will be created at some point in the future. Here's a fan-made video for Infinite Fire I recently saw. Quite impressive for a fan video. He used Mike Portnoy's drum cam footage and intermixed shots of he and another guy playing the other instruments.

Innocence Faded by Dream Theater.

Awake is one of those albums that I'm not head over heels in love with, but I still sing it all of the time.

I just returned from an Unleash The Archers show. A M A Z I N G. I think this Canadian band has a ton of potential and I hope to see them keep growing their fanbase. Check out General Of The Dark Army:

Xandria - Fire of Universe

Sounds like the title of a Dragonforce song. :D

I think that Neverworld's End is a fantastic album, and I'm perfectly happy with the direction Xandria is taking now, but in some ways I do prefer the old Xandria. I think they were unique and special with Lisa Middelhauve. I'm very much looking forward to her solo album.