the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Xandria - Return to India.

I've always loved the spoken part at the end of this song:

Once we have reached our destiny we understand that it is different from the dearest wishes of the beginning.
It is much deeper, broader, sometimes greater...
Either we understand or we sail on, and on, and on...

I'm bout to buy this album very soon. Every track goes hard on this. Cept for that short interlude guitars instrumental track. Pretty refreshing n nice sounding though ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap that sounds awesome! Going to have to look into War of Ages, just listened to a lot off of that youtube...

Recently I've been on a Savatage kick, and I just keep finding new songs I like...
Poets and Madmen album the most this week.

Recently I've been on a Savatage kick, and I just keep finding new songs I like...

If you haven't gotten to Handful of Rain yet, check out Chance. One of my favorite songs. Amazing lyrics, amazing story (read up on it). The vocal canon in the third part blows my mind (the first time Savatage did that; later put to good use by TSO):

Lately, I've had the urge to listen to the whole album that this song is on. I need to find the album, first. Admittedly, some of this band's lyrics make me question whether they're fit for Christian listening, but they're music has been described as, "spiritual, with no connection to religion", so that's probably more me overthinking things.

Sinbreed - Salvation

THE UNSALTED MIME IN YOUR BREAKFAST IS DIVINE!

Seriously, I am the only one who had trouble understanding that part of the chorus at first? Great song, though.

BTW, they've started pre-production for the second album. I'm not quite sure what that means, but if it means work on another album, it's a good thing. :)

Lately, I've had the urge to listen to the whole album that this song is on. I need to find the album, first. Admittedly, some of this band's lyrics make me question whether they're fit for Christian listening, but they're music has been described as, "spiritual, with no connection to religion", so that's probably more me overthinking things.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know anything about the band in question here, but these days religion-bashing is cool - sometimes even among believers. I was reading something on a band the other day where the band clearly was Christian and effectively said as much, yet shunned any connection with "religion."

EDIT: Seastorm, I just listened to that Savatage song, and it's FANTASTIC. I am definitely going to have to look into them more.

I guess it depends on how you personally define religion. I know some people look at religion as the belief that a series of practices/rituals are necessary, or perhaps the belief that you have to do certain things in order to be saved. From that perspective, I can see why someone might be against 'religion'. There was a picture I once saw that said something like, "Religion says, "Do." God says, "Done!"" We can argue about that sort of stuff, I suppose, or agree that salvation is through faith in Christ alone. Personally, I prefer the latter.

Anyway, there are four '3' songs that come to mind that I'm not particularly sure how to take. If you don't mind having a look at the lyrics and telling me what you think, I'd appreciate it. I'll link to them, and try to give you an idea of what I'm unsure of.

Halloween

The part that makes me unsure is the "Deeper, deeper than God" part. I think I read that the song is supposed to be about an angel and a demon arguing over a sick boy or something. I believe it was in the liner notes for the album... I'd have to dig it out to be sure, but I think that was supposed to be the idea.

Rabid Animals

The lyrics that make me wonder here are: "And so we pay the price/For having sliced and diced/We nail our Jesus Christ/To the wall". The rest of the song doesn't seem to even mention anything having to do with Christianity/religion in general, so I wonder if the use of Jesus' name here isn't meant to be symbolic.

One with the Sun

Honestly, just the song in general. I actually think it's supposed to be about Jesus' crucifixion, just told in an abstract way, especially with lyrics like, "Started with the sequel so we knew who you would kill", "All the crazy people/Are gathered on the hill/Sharpening the steeple/For the blood they're going to spill/But they are what they kill" (The whole reason the Pharisees wanted to kill Jesus was because they felt he was blaspheming, right? Therefore, in killing him, they are the true blasphemers, hence "They are what they kill"), and "It's time tables turned on Babylon". I'm just not sure if I'm reading too much into this, or if it is supposed to be about Jesus' crucifixion and that's it, or if there's some other meaning here.

Amaze Disgrace

This one... I think it's just the title more than anything. I honestly can't figure out what the lyrics are supposed to be about. If you can, then kudos.

I also read an interview with their frontman (who I think writes most if not all of their lyrics) where he stated that his original bassist and guitarist left because he wouldn't commit to being a 'Christian' band, because it wasn't his thing. He said that he didn't have anything against Christianity, though, and that the guitarist ended up coming back after having a spiritual vision or something like that. Well, the only part of that with any relevance to this is that he doesn't have anything against Christianity...

Haken - Celestial Elixer
I recently discovered Haken, and I'm very happy I did. Their debut album was an insta-buy for me, but I have yet to hear their more recent material. For some reason they remind me of Perfect Smile.

EDIT:
THE UNSALTED MIME IN YOUR BREAKFAST IS DIVINE!

Man, that cracked me up good :D

I recently came across these dudes on youtube. This album is free for download. Just follow the link in the description. There's a bunch of other music that's free on the website too.

This album is awesome if you like this kind of music.

Anette Olzon - Floating (Demo)

Cool song.

On a somewhat related note, it looks like she's going to be doing a book about her time in Nightwish. Should be interesting. :)

@Aletheus

Yeah, I love this band. They really understand how to combine folklore with extreme metal to an incredible sound. Nice to hear that you like it, too^^

BTW: The whole album "Sagas" where the song "Ruf in den Wind" is taken from, is great and worth listening to