The what guitar should Oyo get thread

Ok, i've been considering getting a guitar for like a year now. All that I know is I want a guitar, that doesn't suck. Even if I give up on it, i'd rather waste $300 on a good one that i'll never use, than have to switch to a better one after spending $100 on a shitty one, once/if I decide I love playing. Should I maybe start with an acoustic one first, I really like the sound of acoustic guitars, but I also want to play metal, which isn't exactly doable with only an acoustic guitar. I tried browsing websites, but i'm completely clueless as to what I should buy. I was mainly looking at electric ones. Should I get a six or seven string one, what is the difference? I saw a starter pack that came with a six string guitar, an amp, and some various accesories, but it was cheap as shit (price-wise) and it came in a box with a kid on a skateboard in a halfpipe in mid-air holding the guitar in his hand :rolleyes:

Also, what kind of amp should I get? All i've really found out from looking around is the better ones have headphone ports, and some other technical stuff that I didn't understand.

Help me :eek:

Man ,, if you want a good electric ,, your gonna have to spend more than 300 bucks. 1500 will get you a nice guitar dude ..

I was lookin at the Gibson Les Paul studio gothic ,, it's 1800 canadian ,, if the prices haven't dropped ,, nice guitar but, I don't know .

Well the best guitar i ever played was the Ernie Ball John Petrucci signature... There is something special about that guitar, and it's not because i like John Petrucci... it is just REALLY comfortable and i love the pickups for both rhythm and lead... You can get some major ass chunk out of it even if you want it for death metal. And the neck is so smooth! it's like your fingers just glide on it. It comes in a 7 string model too, and has an optional Piezo bridge which makes it sound A LOT more accoustic than the regular pickups. Anyway, since i bet you don't wanna spend something like 2 grand on a guitar, that one is out :) But if you want a good guitar for not too much money get get one of the low end Ibanez RG's. They're a bit inconsistent in quality but if you find one that feels good to you and sounds good you can get a cheap one for around 400 bucks and they still sound decent, though you might want to change the pickups. Of course i am talking metal guitars here, i dunno much about accoustics, except that Takamine is one of the best. But it is REDICULOUS how much a good accoustic is... like up to 5000$... that is rediculous if you ask me... but you didn't... so i gotta go now.

I have one accoustic, one nylon, and one electric with an old tube amp. Legacies of my father.

I rarely play, because I can't keep the rhythms! :mad:

I feel like Bill and/or Ted. I want to be great. But, dude, I need lessons. :D

heh, fuck lessons dude. Just play along to old metallica and then in 2 years work on leads and stuff, and if you didn't slack off, in 4 years you'll be quite a monster player! It worked for me :) Ask Sullen Jester. I sent him a couple vids of me playing. All self taught hehe.

Originally posted by Oyo
:lol:
Yeah I know how you feel, grr.
I was hoping I could get a nice sounding guitar for $300, guess not :eek:

I'm willing to save up more money then, I don't want to buy a piece of shit, it's never worth getting a shitty quality product.
i'm telling you oyo, look at some IBANEZ guitars. i still play an rg470, the thing plays like fucking butter and it has hot enough pickups to grind out some serious chunkage. the trick is, have someone who plays well go with you. have him play everything in the store (in your price range) and find the most balanced guitar. (playability, sound, etc.) i played at least 20 different guitars the day i bought the rg 470, some of them in the "over $1000.00" price range, but i walked out with the IBANEZ. even though they build thousands of the same model, no two will be exactly the same. my guitar is an absolute fluke, it should not play the way it "feels" for what i payed for it. find someone who knows their shit and you'll do fine.:D :headbang:

Originally posted by slingblade

i'm telling you oyo, look at some IBANEZ guitars. i still play an rg470, the thing plays like fucking butter and it has hot enough pickups to grind out some serious chunkage. the trick is, have someone who plays well go with you. have him play everything in the store (in your price range) and find the most balanced guitar. (playability, sound, etc.) i played at least 20 different guitars the day i bought the rg 470, some of them in the "over $1000.00" price range, but i walked out with the IBANEZ. even though they build thousands of the same model, no two will be exactly the same. my guitar is an absolute fluke, it should not play the way it "feels" for what i payed for it. find someone who knows their shit and you'll do fine.:D :headbang:

Exactly what i was saying too.

so now you wanna talk about amps do ya? i love this shit. ok. for years i used PEAVEY, cuz they were relatively inexpensive and some models really had that Dave Mustaine crunch, if ya know what i mean. but just before christmas, my half stack shit the bed. i was using a PEAVEY ULTRA head, and an old PEAVEY BUTCHER cab with celestion speakers. what actually happened was the cabinet was (is) about 14 yrs old, and it developed a "cabinet rattle." i had just replaced all the tubes too, and when i cranked it after warming the tubes up for about a half hour, it made an un godly rummble whenever i muted and chunked out chords. (i myself hate trebly guitar sounds, i crank the bass, cut the mids completely out and set the treble a little past halfway.) so i was on a mission, i decided to get a completely new piece of equipment. the newer CRATE amps are incredible, again for the price and the tone, your not paying for the "boutique name" like MESA BOOGIE, for example. i bought a CRATE BLUE VOODOO-120H half stack, and a BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER. the best thing i ever did for myself. killer fucking tone. now, you can buy a good practice amp by CRATE for under $200.00, that is my suggestion to you. because if you stick with it you will continue to get good use from the practice amp by CRATE long after you purchase a more serious amp. i will gladly answer questions for you in your searches.:D