The "what was I thinking?" thread.

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Either good or bad. Music you didn't like until recently, or music you used to like but can't understand how or why anymore. Or just share stories where you woke up hungover next to a 400 pound man and a sore ass, I don't care. :Spin:

Life of Agony - Ugly
I hated this album for years. Stupid wussy metal with no start/stop tempos like the debut, which ruled. Starting about 6 months ago I fell in love with it, now whenever I spin it, I usually listen to it 6 times in a row.

There was a time, albeit brief, that I really liked these guys. I could blame it on dumb teenage years, but that doesn't really make sense because back then I listened to probably more metal than I do now (more often I should say, not more groups). Now the very thought of these talentless, repetitious hacks, and my blood boils. I didn't even try to sell my 311 CDs either, I just gave them away. :tickled:

oh jeez, I could go on forever. I'll have to think about it, but off the top of my head:

Neurosis - 5 or 6 years ago I didn't know what to think. I didn't hate them, but I really didn't like them either. A year or two ago, I realized the error of my ways, and now know that Neurosis is why music was invented.

Soilwork - I bought 3 or 4 of their CDs trying to like them (and some songs weren't bad) and see why everyone was praising them. I did this for a few years with this band. Then I realized that everyone simply must be a dumbass when it comes to this worthless heap of manure.

Life of Agony rules.

Hmmm...off the top of my head....

I thought Iron Maiden sucked first time I heard them...and the time after that...I'm guessing 6+ months before I bought my first album of theirs. I was 13 and thought Eric Clapton was the best thing knocking around (not that he isn't, but still...). Fast forward a few years and I've got all their albums and a shitload of memorabilia and don't regret a penny of it! :D

My first Burzum album was Hlidskjalf, which didn't go down well at first. A lapse of concentration when I was buying meant I'd totally forgotten about the ehole keyboard/ambient thing, so I was well gutted when an overly-long keyboard intro turned out to be an entire album's worth of material. Some time later, for whatever reason I put it on while I was playing Final Fantasy 7 (just before you get to Corel, I remember somehow) and it just clicked that the music matched the mood of the game perfectly. And then that album just clicked for me. I put it on the other week to send me to sleep after I needed to catch up on some deprivation suffered at a party :)

Nile - When i was pretty new to the world of death metal i use to think that they ruled completely but then as i discovered better and more interesting bands, i realized how boring and overhyped they were. I don't outright hate them and sometimes i occasionally give one of their discs a spin.

Nile still rules, but yeah, they certainly aren't the be all end all of death metal. Soilwork never did, at least what I heard from them.

Nokturnal Mortem - Goat Horns
I didn't like this album, it just sounded stupid to me for a long time. Now I love it, and really need more of their stuff. I don't think I have an NSBM in my collection, hope it doesn't turn me into a Nazi. Although I am going to shave my head this week, omg!

Nile
Didn't like them for the longest time, then a week before seeing them live everything clicked, now I love them. Too bad I missed their set. :yell:

ah yes, Ayeka reminded me of Burzum. Absolutely loathed the vocals from Varg. The music was always quite nice and right up my alley (mostly mid-paced). I gave up for a few years. Just recently bought the first 4 Burzum albums. They still don't blow my socks off, but the vocals are much more bearable and I do see the genius in the music.

oh, and I even did this with Graveland. I had like 4 albums that were just collecting dust for a few months. I was simply indifferent to what Darken had written. THen one day I decided to play them all in succession. I haven't looked back since.

NAD said:
Nokturnal Mortem - Goat Horns
I didn't like this album, it just sounded stupid to me for a long time. Now I love it, and really need more of their stuff. I don't think I have an NSBM in my collection, hope it doesn't turn me into a Nazi. Although I am going to shave my head this week, omg!

Didn't Nokturnal Mortum start out as a pagan black metal band before they went NS?

For a period of about a year, after being into Megadeth and old Metallica for quite some time, I listened to POD (by far the most embarassing), Pitchshifter, Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Soulfly, Juvenile and most rap/metal. This was mainly a phase, though. It was also about this time that I started getting into Iron Maiden. Enough said.

After that, Megadeth, Maiden, Queensryche and Savatage became the BIG FOUR.

Black Winter Day said:
For a period of about a year, after being into Megadeth and old Metallica for quite some time, I listened to POD (by far the most embarassing), Pitchshifter, Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Soulfly, Juvenile and most rap/metal.
No shame there. I had a few Korn, Soulfly, POD, and the SLipknot debut CDs. And like you, I started listening to this stuff after listening to older Metallica, Megadeth, SUicidal Tendencies, old school Biohazard, Sick of It All, and Life of Agony.

Thanks God I found older Fear Factory, Machine Head and Type O.

Ohhh yeah, I forgot about Kristallnacht too (god, all this NS coming out of the woodworks). I first heard them about three years ago when I downloaded three quarters of the Warspirit EP, and thought it was the worst thing I had ever heard. A joke. Black Metal with Disney keyboards. Over time I guess I just developed a yearning for those Disney keyboards, and had Of Elitism And War copied for me a few months back. God, I couldn't stop playing it when I got it! And those Warspirit songs are my favourite on that album!

Erik said:
Sure, but they try their best to be all revisionist about it. There was an interview published in some Russian magazine in the "Lunar Poetry" (or even "Twilightfall"?) days where they said that "blah blah, we just want to live peaceful pagan lives side by side with the Christians and blah blah" or something of the sort, and now they've done everything they can to get that interview off the Internet.

I find that hilarious for some reason but still, Nokturnal Mortum(regardless of their hypocrisy)are excellent.

I loved Kristallnacht the moment I played Of Elitism and War.

Thanks and Hails goes to JayK for that one.

i would do a "COF > celtic frost" thing, but at the risk of starting pointless bickering, i will instead give you a picture of a llama:

llama.gif

Put it this way, the last 100 albums I sold off (which included - what I thought to be - derivative melodic death and power metal, as well as junk like 'noise for noise sake' bands, and barrel scraping death/goregrind, or symphonic astral fantasy BM) is not missed. Not for one second. Glad some of you liked it enough to buy it though. :)

Trim the fat, and everything else looks lean and mean. At some point, I'll probably only need about 50 albums and I'll be done.

The thing is, if I get rid of something, it's because I didn't TRULY like it to begin with. I might have liked bits and pieces here or there, but not enough to keep the entire album. Otherwise, I'm not sure if it's possible for an opinion to change on something you once liked...I mean, you might outgrow it, or your tastes might change, but I'm not sure how that negates anything that you once thought was good.