The what's going on in Thrash thread

I never thought about it before. It's seems really weird that so many of these bands didn't have live albums for a good bit into their career. Especially Metallica who has been pretty meticulous about capturing live shows for their vault even way back. Of course now you couldn't pay me to listen to live album from them :).

To be fair you're not a teeny bopper looking for new music so Lars doesn't care much about you and your taste :)

I'd never really thought about how prolific bands were with live albums either. When you consider that a live album really doesn't require much extra effort from the band it's can prolong the time between studio albums you'd think they'd have been releasing them whenever they could.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
I'll be honest, there is a lot of Anthrax albums I have never really listened to at all.

Here are the ones I have listened to enough to form an opinion:
Fistfull of Metal - a couple of good songs but otherwise forgettable. I can see whey they parted ways with Neil Turbin.

Spreading The Disease - Great album

Among the Living - Legendary album. Is there a weak song on this album?

Persistence of Time - Another Great Album

Worship Music - Amazing...what a comeback and one of most listened to albums from 2011.

For All Kings - My number 1 album for 2016. A lot of the younger thrashers in the vegas metal scene gave me shit for talking this one up upon its release. I think one of the guys from Thrashmania called it "Dad Rock". :lol:

Which ones do you recommend checking out/avoiding?

State of Euphoria is good although it kind of dips off on side 2. Now It's Dark is a bit immature, but it's not a terrible song. When it was released Antisocial was a good cover but it's a bit tired now because they never let it rest.

White Noise is their best album, but it's not the same Anthrax that released POT and everything before it. Bush was absolutely brilliant, the songs, for the most part, were well written and fitted together well and the album kicked arse, but it cops crap for not being what Anthrax was about. Scott claims the progression from Euphoria to POT is the same as the progression from POT to SOWN. I don't really buy that, I think Scott and Charlie were too busy trying to follow Metallica's lead and getting the guy who was once offered the singing spot in Metallica was their first step. SOWN didn't really get the reception it deserved because of that.

Weirdly enough Joey's debut album is the album Anthrax should have released after POT and it got almost no publicity.

Stomp and Threat are not very memorable, in fact I can't even remember a song on those albums without deep thought. And We've Come For You All, is not in the same league as SOWN but John again does an admirable job and there is a few songs on it that kind of tried to bring Anthrax back to what they once were. Sadly John was never going to get them back to what they were but that's not his fault, the guy has never really been a thrash singer despite how good he is. Most of the reason Anthrax haven't come back is because Scott and Charlie haven't been able to write the way they used to, they got closer with Kings, but they still aren't there.

I like State Of Euphoria all the way through. That, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time are my favorites and equal. Although I loved the more serious nature of Persistence.And I really like the latest two. I like Spreading The Disease but I don’t love it all. I don’t really like the first album at all. To me all the elements of full on thrash still aren’t there yet.
I never got into the Bush era. I’ll be honest I was really pissed at them for Joey. But also I didn’t like the musical change the most. Nothing to do with John. I’m pretty sure the first album with him is quality as well as the last one..
I think. Oh I forgot. I do have Stomp 442 because Dimebag is on it and I wanted to give them another chance. But that album sucks imo.
So I guess all I can offer is State Of Euphoria. I know I know. Big help right?!

I like State Of Euphoria all the way through. That, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time are my favorites and equal. Although I loved the more serious nature of Persistence.And I really like the latest two. I like Spreading The Disease but I don’t love it all. I don’t really like the first album at all. To me all the elements of full on thrash still aren’t there yet.
I never got into the Bush era. I’ll be honest I was really pissed at them for Joey. But also I didn’t like the musical change the most. Nothing to do with John. I’m pretty sure the first album with him is quality as well as the last one..
I think. Oh I forgot. I do have Stomp 442 because Dimebag is on it and I wanted to give them another chance. But that album sucks imo.
So I guess all I can offer is State Of Euphoria. I know I know. Big help right?!

Awe come on lets be fair and honest :p As good as most of SOE is now days you just have to get rid of Antisocial, and go back to the original. Anthrax have killed the song and they don't play it these days with anywhere near the sweat and balls they used. 13 is 49 seconds of nothing, Schism is boring and Misery only just pasts muster as a good song, although Finale is alright.

POT while really good also suffers from, H8red and One Man Stands, but it suffers more because of that shitty overplayed version of Got the Time. They tried to speed up a song which non-metal bands had already done and they failed to make it anything other than a radio hit.

SOWN really only has one average song and that's Burst. The rest are powerful, melodic, and really hit that groove factor Anthrax are supposedly noted for. The song writing and lyrics also took a more mature direction, not quite political, although maybe the closest they have come but without taking any one side. But while the album is not really what Anthrax fans wanted it's still got some of their best stuff on it and John's ability to deliver a darker, deeper, voice fitted the songs almost perfectly, it's a pity they couldn't emulate it with other albums.

Anthrax need to get back to writing songs based on Stephen King novels!!!

The heathenish attitudes of some people who call themselves fans is reprehensible. Those people should all be taken out the back, lined up against a wall, blindfolded and the wall hit with missile from a low flying FA-18 Super Hornet pulling Mach 1.5 while the pilot gives them the bird!

(disclaimer: personal opinions should be taken as exactly that)
(disclaimer 2: the fact that the personal opinions above are correct shouldn't offend anyone who is wrong :p )

It does make me appreciate how big Slayer got without compromising.

I think some people might disagree, okay maybe those people will be Blabber commentors but they are people too...maybe :)

It's interesting now the number of people who make comments like "I always thought Slayer sucked", "Slayer couldn't play their instruments", "Slayer were lucky because everyone hated them". But really they did just keep hammering out what they were known for, be that good bad, or otherwise. They did change a few things here and there but it wasn't like they changed to sell out.
(shit that comment wont make it onto my Blabber account :) )

Awe come on lets be fair and honest :p As good as most of SOE is now days you just have to get rid of Antisocial, and go back to the original. Anthrax have killed the song and they don't play it these days with anywhere near the sweat and balls they used. 13 is 49 seconds of nothing, Schism is boring and Misery only just pasts muster as a good song, although Finale is alright.

POT while really good also suffers from, H8red and One Man Stands, but it suffers more because of that shitty overplayed version of Got the Time. They tried to speed up a song which non-metal bands had already done and they failed to make it anything other than a radio hit.

SOWN really only has one average song and that's Burst. The rest are powerful, melodic, and really hit that groove factor Anthrax are supposedly noted for. The song writing and lyrics also took a more mature direction, not quite political, although maybe the closest they have come but without taking any one side. But while the album is not really what Anthrax fans wanted it's still got some of their best stuff on it and John's ability to deliver a darker, deeper, voice fitted the songs almost perfectly, it's a pity they couldn't emulate it with other albums.

Anthrax need to get back to writing songs based on Stephen King novels!!!

The heathenish attitudes of some people who call themselves fans is reprehensible. Those people should all be taken out the back, lined up against a wall, blindfolded and the wall hit with missile from a low flying FA-18 Super Hornet pulling Mach 1.5 while the pilot gives them the bird!

(disclaimer: personal opinions should be taken as exactly that)
(disclaimer 2: the fact that the personal opinions above are correct shouldn't offend anyone who is wrong :p )
I was trying to be nice but you force my hand. Bush era sucks! It’s sell out radio metal! :).
Now see you’re own disclaimer. :p :saint:;):). How dare you shoot missiles at me!!:p

Reactions: Slammed and Neptune
I think some people might disagree, okay maybe those people will be Blabber commentors but they are people too...maybe :)

It's interesting now the number of people who make comments like "I always thought Slayer sucked", "Slayer couldn't play their instruments", "Slayer were lucky because everyone hated them". But really they did just keep hammering out what they were known for, be that good bad, or otherwise. They did change a few things here and there but it wasn't like they changed to sell out.
(shit that comment wont make it onto my Blabber account :) )
I always respected Slayer. I do think the solos sucked. But only on a melody and technical scale. But let’s face it. If they had had that it would have defeated the purpose and feel of the fury they created.

Reactions: Slammed and Neptune
State of Euphoria is good although it kind of dips off on side 2. Now It's Dark is a bit immature, but it's not a terrible song. When it was released Antisocial was a good cover but it's a bit tired now because they never let it rest.

I like State Of Euphoria all the way through. That, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time are my favorites and equal.

State of Euphoria sounds great....do any of those songs get played live other than Anti-Social? A lot of good, high energy songs that I am sure loyal fans would love to hear performed live.

I really like that one. I know they put something in the set when they did the anniversary of it. But I can't remember which one. Or if it stayed in the set. I know, I know. No help lol. It's crazy that they mostly just play a cover from it live.
Oh they did Be All End All. On the Big 4 tour. They may have done more later.

Completely agree. They could make a great enough set list to compete with just about anyone. But they hate that album. They always say they needed more time. But since 88 they have never given any concrete notions of what they would have actually done. differently. Or what is actually wrong with individual songs. Put up or shut up! :D

White Noise is their best album, but it's not the same Anthrax that released POT and everything before it. Bush was absolutely brilliant, the songs, for the most part, were well written and fitted together well and the album kicked arse, but it cops crap for not being what Anthrax was about. Scott claims the progression from Euphoria to POT is the same as the progression from POT to SOWN. I don't really buy that, I think Scott and Charlie were too busy trying to follow Metallica's lead and getting the guy who was once offered the singing spot in Metallica was their first step. SOWN didn't really get the reception it deserved because of tha

Listening to it now and that is a perfect summary of this album. There are some good songs here...I definitely hear black album influences. Songs like Auf Wiedersehn sound like it could have been written and performed by the Foo Fighters!

I was trying to be nice but you force my hand. Bush era sucks! It’s sell out radio metal! :).
Now see you’re own disclaimer. :p :saint:;):). How dare you shoot missiles at me!!:p

You bloody deserve it and if you don't change you'll get another missile. Your hatred for Bush era has gone on too long. You need to get over it and step into the real world!
Bush era was legendary...well it was good for one album..name another band that had that kind of success rate!
And it was your besties Scott and Chuckles that started the radio metal path when they released the pop metal song Got the Time :p

Reactions: redfly