The what's going on in Thrash thread

Thrash metal's big (known) names are really going about things all wrong these days. Maybe bands like Anthrax and Megadeth think they are reaching a new audience and these festival gigs are a way of getting new fans but it just feels like they are getting closer and closer to selling out.
Megadeth are apparently stoked to be playing Rockville later this year, but they are playing third fiddle to Korn and Breaking Baggyman, followed by bands like Parkway Drive and Whitechapel. The only other thrash band on the day is the first act Extinction AD, in fact they are the only two thrash bands on the entire 5 day bill. For once Anthrax aren't on such a great bill, although given Motor Sister are on the Sunday arvo you could say Scott's in familiar territory

277310665_522394825916599_5938485484089932259_n.jpg

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Thrash metal's big (known) names are really going about things all wrong these days. Maybe bands like Anthrax and Megadeth think they are reaching a new audience and these festival gigs are a way of getting new fans but it just feels like they are getting closer and closer to selling out.

At this point in their career I am sure it is all about the paycheck. I heard on the radio that Metallica is play Lollapalooza this year with a slate of lame bands I haven't heard of before.

I expect that from Metallica, I kind of expect similar from Anthrax, but I did think Megadeth hadn't reached that stage. I know they've played quite a few festivals over the last 5 years or so, but from what I remember most of their festivals had a real metal element to it, unlike Anthrax and definitely Metallica.

Megadeth are apparently stoked to be playing Rockville later this year, but they are playing third fiddle to Korn and Breaking Baggyman, followed by bands like Parkway Drive and Whitechapel. The only other thrash band on the day is the first act Extinction AD, in fact they are the only two thrash bands on the entire 5 day bill. For once Anthrax aren't on such a great bill, although given Motor Sister are on the Sunday arvo you could say Scott's in familiar territory

277310665_522394825916599_5938485484089932259_n.jpg
They are reaching a new audience. It's just that that audience doesn't care. It's not like they haven't heard the name Megadeth. They've heard and aren't overly interested You'd think Dave would know where his bread is buttered. Maybe their just wasn't anything else to do at that time. Plus maybe they need the money after the last two years of doing nothing. That's all I got. Fuck'em!
I predict a lot of Crush'em type songs.

I expect that from Metallica, I kind of expect similar from Anthrax, but I did think Megadeth hadn't reached that stage. I know they've played quite a few festivals over the last 5 years or so, but from what I remember most of their festivals had a real metal element to it, unlike Anthrax and definitely Metallica.
Yeah that's true. This is a slide for them.

Reactions: Slammed and Neptune
They are reaching a new audience. It's just that that audience doesn't care. It's not like they haven't heard the name Megadeth. They've heard and aren't overly interested You'd think Dave would know where his bread is buttered. Maybe their just wasn't anything else to do at that time. Plus maybe they need the money after the last two years of doing nothing. That's all I got. Fuck'em!
I predict a lot of Crush'em type songs.

Any money is good money especially after the last two years and you could be right about there being nothing else going. It's just a shame to see the bands that could do decent tours falling into the trap. Like the Bay Strikes Back tour, Dave could to just about anything with a bunch of thrash bands if he wanted too.

Any money is good money especially after the last two years and you could be right about there being nothing else going. It's just a shame to see the bands that could do decent tours falling into the trap. Like the Bay Strikes Back tour, Dave could to just about anything with a bunch of thrash bands if he wanted too.
That's so true. He could set the example that Metallica won't. Maybe this is what happens when you think your kid has his finger on the pulse.

That's so true. He could set the example that Metallica won't. Maybe this is what happens when you think your kid has his finger on the pulse.

Stop picking on Justis :p
Although I have to agree with you there, it could well be that management is not what it used to be. It could also be that management listens to different music and thinks that's the place to be.