The what's going on in Thrash thread

I guess so! I didn't realize it was such a booming genre...

I find it weird, for years bands were making statements against being put into genres, then it was against being put in specific genres so they made up their own, now it seems like power metal is the go to. Although I guess a lot of it stems from who makes the wiki pages, the M-A pages and things like that the first time. However I did see an extreme death metal band on discogs the other day listed under rock and hard core so maybe some people do need help with their genres.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
I had someone ask me...but isn't Flotsam Power Metal?!
To me it's the same old crap as lumping a shit load of bands into the glam metal category. A category that as far as I'm concerned barely existed.
Glam rock? Sure. But glam metal? Those bands were way to blues based to be metal and the bands that were kinda make up'd weren't very glamy they looked more like ghouls lol. But VH1 and Mtv apparently got away with their labeling, but they made that shit up to capitalize on the legitimacy of actual metal and now it's wiki's turn to call everything power metal I guess lol.

Reactions: Slammed
Its a big reason why I tend not to mention genres when people ask me about a band they haven't heard of, I tend to just say 'it's metal'.

I wonder how many people out there have not listened to bands just because someone told them a band was grindcore, or post metal or something equally as stupid. For me if a band looks ok I'll give them a go, if they suck they suck in all genres not just one they made up for themselves.

Reactions: redfly
Most people who are offended by the term metal will be offended by any genre that has a name that even sounds close to metal so it just saves on the number of words you have to speak to some people :)

Reactions: redfly
I like it!
I gotta say, I totally fucking blew it. I had the Pledge email for Priest and checked it out. They had signed cd's and I thought I should get one cause it's got Glenn on it. But then I thought that since I'm not a die hard fan I'd leave it for those who are. Now I see these cd's popping up and people are asking $400 dollars for them and they are actually getting it! I blew it lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Neptune and Slammed