The what's going on in Thrash thread

So you don't like jams but you're ok with doodles and covers? To me it's cheesy ass kissing, especially that song. It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't spent so many years openly making fun of these bands. I'm not sure there was ever a time Metallica wasn't full of shit.

If I have to have a jam it has to be a song or piss it off. Anyone can play a solo just like any one can pick on someone for their solo. Play a song, play a tune that is recognisable and give it a twist. I'd prefer something I know the tune of or maybe know the words but to me I'd much rather see Manowar do a tribute to Wagner in Wagner's home town, Metallica throw a tribute to Europe and their biggest selling song in their home town or even GNR performing Rose Tattoo songs because they were in Australia. I don't see that as making fun, I see that as paying tribute to the musos they listen too when they are in that band's backyard.

Reactions: redfly
I think you missed what I said, in the past, in Metallicas most metal years they went out of their way to call these bands pussies. I didn't mean they are making fun of them now.
Hell even Europe distanced themselves from that song, or did for many years lol. You're right about one thing. I will make fun of a solo if it sucks. Because if you've lost your skills like Kirk has for being lazy. You deserve it.
When I see a band I wanna hear music from that band. To tribute a band is one thing. To do a cover just because they are in the country or town the band is from just because they are there seems like filler. But I guess they gotta find a way to justify that ticket price.
Metallica good old fashioned fun for the whole family.

Reactions: Slammed
I think you missed what I said, in the past, in Metallicas most metal years they went out of their way to call these bands pussies. I didn't mean they are making fun of them now.
Hell even Europe distanced themselves from that song, or did for many years lol. You're right about one thing. I will make fun of a solo if it sucks. Because if you've lost your skills like Kirk has for being lazy. You deserve it.
When I see a band I wanna hear music from that band. To tribute a band is one thing. To do a cover just because they are in the country or town the band is from just because they are there seems like filler. But I guess they gotta find a way to justify that ticket price.
Metallica good old fashioned fun for the whole family.

Did they really? I don't remember them specifically calling any band pussies. I know there has always been genres pissing on genres but I also remember quite a few times hearing James and Larz talk about their non-metal influences.

I suppose anyone who can play a guitar thinks about solos differently to someone who doesn't. I'm the same when I see other people build computers or fix a fence or rebuild an engine which I have been doing for more years than I care to count. I'll see laziness in their work because it's not what I'd do, I'll probably pick on them given half a chance too, but I'll also do it knowing that I'm not always right, just arrogant. Maybe if I cared enough to learn more than 4 notes on a guitar I might feel different about solos and maybe they wouldn't bore me because I don't really care if it takes more skill to play a solo than it does to play a song.

Did they really? I don't remember them specifically calling any band pussies. I know there has always been genres pissing on genres but I also remember quite a few times hearing James and Larz talk about their non-metal influences.

I suppose anyone who can play a guitar thinks about solos differently to someone who doesn't. I'm the same when I see other people build computers or fix a fence or rebuild an engine which I have been doing for more years than I care to count. I'll see laziness in their work because it's not what I'd do, I'll probably pick on them given half a chance too, but I'll also do it knowing that I'm not always right, just arrogant. Maybe if I cared enough to learn more than 4 notes on a guitar I might feel different about solos and maybe they wouldn't bore me because I don't really care if it takes more skill to play a solo than it does to play a song.
Metallica was absolutely merciless in their hatred of those kinds of bands. They took any and every opportunity to shit pile on all of them. Just ask Winger lol.
And as a teenager I ate that shit up lol

You do have a point, I've been playing for a longtime and I feel like if I can play it. they are slackers lol...but Kirk especially because he fucks up his own shit constantly and this a guy who took lessons from Satch.

Metallica was absolutely merciless in their hatred of those kinds of bands. They took any and every opportunity to shit pile on all of them. Just ask Winger lol.
And as a teenager I ate that shit up lol

You do have a point, I've been playing for a longtime and I feel like if I can play it. they are slackers lol...but Kirk especially because he fucks up his own shit constantly and this a guy who took lessons from Satch.

Guess I missed all that, but that's hardly surprising before the internet really took over I didn't take much notice of the media, I really only bought mags for the posters. Then when the net took over it took me years to actually read the rag sites. It's really only in the last few years I've started reading sites like Blabber etc regularly. So I've probably been living in a bubble with only half the news making it to my ears.

I piss on chain store computer techs from a great height because they build computers to a price not a spec so I can see a guitarist would do the same to other guitarist but I've also found that over the years as I've got less picky I enjoy music more.

Metallica as a whole was the most vocal about those bands.

That pretty much describes how I feel about lazy guitar playing.
Well, maybe someday I can do the same lol. But it's gonna be a while!

Jason Bittner added some photos of the festival they are playing at to FB a few hours ago. Wasn't just pics of them but pics of other bands. I can't believe GWAR is still a 'thing'. Don't know where they played on the bill, it looks like they were an early act, but after all these years there weren't just a fly by night gimmick apparently. I don't think I have ever heard one of their songs.

I feel old.

"I remember when I first saw that band. Their costumes, their music, I thought it was just a gimmick, now it's thirty years on and they are still going!"

Maybe it's like KISS going on once Gene and Paul retire. GWAR have face masks don't? It could be impostors just posing in costume.