The what's going on in Thrash thread

Geez I feel sorry for metal. It's a hard slog when apparently this is the top 15 selling "Metal" records for this year.
  1. MetallicaHardwired… to Self Destruct (136,000 sold)
  2. Bon JoviThis House is Not for Sale (131,000 sold)
  3. Breaking BenjaminEmber (117,000 sold)
  4. Greta Van FleetFrom the Fires (98,000 sold)
  5. A Perfect CircleEat the Elephant (94,000 sold)
  6. Five Finger Death PunchA Decade of Destruction (87,300 sold)
  7. MetallicaMetallica (87,000 sold)
  8. Judas PriestFirepower (84,000 sold)
  9. Five Finger Death PunchAnd Justice For None (82,500 sold)
  10. ShinedownAttention Attention (80,500 sold)
  11. GhostPrequelle (62,000 sold)
  12. GodsmackWhen Legends Rise (60,000 sold)
  13. Kid Rock Sweet Southern Sugar (59,500 sold)
  14. MetallicaMaster of Puppets (58,500 sold)
  15. Linkin ParkHybrid Theory (49,000)
Now I will admit to having 5 of those albums in this household however all but Priest was bought last year not this year.
Metallica are obviously riding high off their tour but selling 87,000 copies of a 25(ish) yr old album and 58,000 of an album even older are amazing figures. However even at 136,000 for Hardwired it's still only number 22 on the overall top sellers list for this year.

Yeah it's interesting what is classed as metal these days.

I don't listen to them but I'd probably give them a chance and call bands like Five Finger Death Punch, Ghost, A Perfect Circle and even at a stretch Godsmack metal. But Bon Jovi, Breaking Benjamin, Kid Rock and Linkin Park is really pushing the term metal.

Considering that Metallica still only came in at 22 with 136,000 metal is really low on the list anyway. Apparently the soundtrack to Hugh Jackman's movie is about the only album to sell more than a million this year so far.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
It's because there is too much variety in metal, too many different albums. All those pop albums are just the same album released under a new name and a new album sleeve every other. :)

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
As much as shitting on pop music is fun I think it's a demographic thing too. Pop music sells in massive amounts because the people buying it are sheep. Look at all those talent shows (X Factor etc), there is a reason the shit produced on those shows sells in massive numbers. If they replaced each one of those pop talent shows with a metal talent show metal would be topping all the charts and metal would have all the sheep.

Yeah sadly it's the truth. It doesn't matter what it is these days once the force feeding of shit starts nothing is sacred and there will always be people ready to be force fed. Be it music, gender pay gaps, sexual harassment, racism or whatever we are force fed the shit certain groups want us to believe and there is always a portion of the public ready to believe it. Then there is a portion of those who want to take it to the nth degree and scream it from the roof tops and tell the rest of us we are wrong for thinking it.

Gotta rebel for the cause!!

Actually I think I'll just give up and let the nut jobs do whatever they want.

Having said that I would still like to see a Metal Idol or the like just to see how even metal could be programmed into the mainstream psyche.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Well shit, that is good news. Why can't it work for everyone. Stupid cancer.

I agree, it would be nice. It was good to hear when Bruce beat his cancer and even better to hear him come back and continue singing. This guy's is a different cancer but I can't help wondering if maybe his way of singing makes it harder for him to come back than Bruce.

Reactions: redfly