The what's going on in Thrash thread

Hope they had good insurance. :headbang:

In this country a 'country club' is the almost like a golf club, it's full of rich old farts who need a place to get away from the plebs. About all the entertainment they would have is Beatles cover bands, so for years I couldn't figure out what sort of country club would have a band like DA play.

Reactions: redfly
Curiosity got the better of me. The club on the bill is listed as Chuck Landis' Country Club. Apparently he was a veteran music promoter who bought the Reseda Country Club in '79. There was some group formed which kept the place alive until the early 90's when it was closed but the list of who played their is huge.

Notable acts included Guns N' Roses, Stryper, B.B. King, Roy Orbison, Iggy Pop, Slayer, Robert Plant, Motörhead, UFO, Joan Jett, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mötley Crüe, The Beach Boys, Huey Lewis and the News, The Motels, U2, Alcatrazz, Beastie Boys, W.A.S.P., Saxon, Bob Weir, Social Distortion, Fugazi, Kiss, Soundgarden, Half Way Home, Bad Religion, Mentors, Armored Saint, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, James Brown, System of a Down, Tom Petty, Metallica (who performed their first show following the death of bassist Cliff Burton at the venue), Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Kreator, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Poison, Warrant, Pat Travers, Robin Trower, Neil Young and Blue Öyster Cult. It was used for video shoots for Mick Jagger, Greg Kihn Band, Gary U.S. Bonds and Bruce Dickinson.​

It's even been used to film part of Boogie Night and Wrestling events. It's like no country club I've ever been too!

Apparently now it's some Spanish language church, whatever that means.

Curiosity got the better of me. The club on the bill is listed as Chuck Landis' Country Club. Apparently he was a veteran music promoter who bought the Reseda Country Club in '79. There was some group formed which kept the place alive until the early 90's when it was closed but the list of who played their is huge.

Notable acts included Guns N' Roses, Stryper, B.B. King, Roy Orbison, Iggy Pop, Slayer, Robert Plant, Motörhead, UFO, Joan Jett, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mötley Crüe, The Beach Boys, Huey Lewis and the News, The Motels, U2, Alcatrazz, Beastie Boys, W.A.S.P., Saxon, Bob Weir, Social Distortion, Fugazi, Kiss, Soundgarden, Half Way Home, Bad Religion, Mentors, Armored Saint, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, James Brown, System of a Down, Tom Petty, Metallica (who performed their first show following the death of bassist Cliff Burton at the venue), Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Kreator, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Poison, Warrant, Pat Travers, Robin Trower, Neil Young and Blue Öyster Cult. It was used for video shoots for Mick Jagger, Greg Kihn Band, Gary U.S. Bonds and Bruce Dickinson.​

It's even been used to film part of Boogie Night and Wrestling events. It's like no country club I've ever been too!

Apparently now it's some Spanish language church, whatever that means.
Holy shit that's a lot of big names. How does a place like close?

Reactions: Slammed
Holy shit that's a lot of big names. How does a place like close?

Church beats rock and roll :)

Apparently there was problems with mangement infighting and stuff but it doesn't say what ultimately closed it or whether the 13 other clubs that the group owned closed.

I had no idea Mustaine used to smoke crack. Not sure how I missed that. And I can't imagine what a collaboration would sound like.

I think it's one of those collaborations that I'b be happy to hear but no necessarily buy.

Dave has popped up doing intros and the like for some different styles the last few years, but I agree Slash doesn't write thrash.

I wonder why Dave is never a part of any thing Metal Allegiance or any tribute albums, neither is anyone in Metallica that I know of. He must get asked right?

My guess with Metallica whether they have been asked or not is because they are Metallica. I remember someone saying the Big4 gigs probably couldn't happen again because Metallica are way bigger than the other three and therefore it would be like the big1 and 3 support acts. Whether that's entirely right or wrong maybe the MA guys feel the same about asking those guys to play. Of course it could be something as simple as scheduling conflicts and Metallica are ego driven wankers :)

As for Dave it's an interesting question. Maybe he's had a disagreement with one of them. Maybe Jnr has kept him at a distance because he can only work with him so much. Maybe Dave has an ego too...nah that can't be it.

Actually how many band mates of the MA guys have appeared? I don't remember the other guys from Dream Theater playing, although Mike was out of DT when the first MA album came out. None of the Megadeth players have been on stage have they? Did Chuck Billy do it?

Post from Gene's FB page

Well, the cat’s outta the bag. Since about halfway thru Leg #1, I’ve been directing the video big screens for Slayer, and let me tell ya, it’s been a blast! I had no idea what I was doing at first, but it had to be done, and now I’m getting really good at it! Tonight in Auburn WA is my last show for them, booo! But it sure has been fun, and I’m proud to do it for Slayer and their entire team, who are, each and every one of them, first class people. This tour has been the most fun ever. Hail to the Mighty Slayer and their crew.​

Fuck!! Now I'm even more jealous of Gene!

Love the look on his face in this pic.

40026892_1870475669696130_7787447947339235328_n.jpg

Damn I am so far out of touch with the real world.
I had to look up the word droogie as it related to Megadeth and this is what the urban dictionary defines it as

Droogie
A fan of popular speed metal band Megadeth.

It also states that Megadeth means "the world's state of the art speed metal band"

Consider me educated!

My guess with Metallica whether they have been asked or not is because they are Metallica. I remember someone saying the Big4 gigs probably couldn't happen again because Metallica are way bigger than the other three and therefore it would be like the big1 and 3 support acts. Whether that's entirely right or wrong maybe the MA guys feel the same about asking those guys to play. Of course it could be something as simple as scheduling conflicts and Metallica are ego driven wankers :)

As for Dave it's an interesting question. Maybe he's had a disagreement with one of them. Maybe Jnr has kept him at a distance because he can only work with him so much. Maybe Dave has an ego too...nah that can't be it.

Actually how many band mates of the MA guys have appeared? I don't remember the other guys from Dream Theater playing, although Mike was out of DT when the first MA album came out. None of the Megadeth players have been on stage have they? Did Chuck Billy do it?
With Metallica, I think it might be a bit of both. Probably the MA guys don't bother trying but why not I'm not sure exactly. I would think because Metallica is too big, but one the other hand if they weren't ego driven wankers that shouldn't matter, they should be approachable. On even another hand. I did remember that Hetfield did some vocals on the Corrosion track Not Man Or Ash, and Kirk did a solo on the last Exodus. Now Hetfield is a big Pepper/ Corrosion fan, so that explains that and Kirk has a history with Exodus and never got to record with them, so that makes sense. As for Lars idk and I'm not really counting Rob.
But surely they have been approached by the people that make tribute albums, but even for the bands they say influenced them like Sabbath or Motorhead, they don't do them. At least from what I know. I know they aren't on either Nativity In Black albums. And practically everyone else is.
But they seem to have no problem doing things like docs or artsy stuff. You know things that get more press and they even did that song with that rapper for something I don't even remember. And they did do the song for Mission Impossible movie. I guess one could argue that they do lots of covers in their live set and Garage days and Kill Em All. But that's kind of different to me.
So I guess to me it seems they are more willing to give their time to things that give them more exposure and there for leads to more money. But it's really unanswerable until some interviewer asks them..or fan, as they do a lot of Q/A on their website.

I think that all the people. Or almost all the people on the MA albums have done shows with the Band. I know Chuck has. None of the other Megadeth guys have been on the albums. But Broderick and Drover..and Jr have been part of the Dimabash. shows.

With Dave and I guess back to Metallica. It just seems weird that in 30 some odd years none of them have done it ( to my knowledge )
They must have had hundreds of offers by record companies' by now.

I wonder how they split up the bass duties in MA? Obviously Jr is only there when he can be. But when he is, how do they do it? Because while I know that this project is the idea of the other bass player. I really have no idea who he is. And why Jr wouldn't just do everything when he's there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed