The what's going on in Thrash thread

I don't mind that. It's different to the Blitz song but it's different in a good way.

In the photo on blabber it looks like Jnr is almost hiding at the back and looking around Portnoy's shoulder like he's not supposed to be in the shot. Portnoy's the bodyguard.
Yeah I like the song. But it's still not a seller for me lol Is it me or did they make parts of it sound just a little like the Bush era of Anthrax?

Well why not? God is Jr's bodyguard then by extension if he's close enough to Portnoy...

Reactions: Slammed
Post from Gene's FB page

Well, the cat’s outta the bag. Since about halfway thru Leg #1, I’ve been directing the video big screens for Slayer, and let me tell ya, it’s been a blast! I had no idea what I was doing at first, but it had to be done, and now I’m getting really good at it! Tonight in Auburn WA is my last show for them, booo! But it sure has been fun, and I’m proud to do it for Slayer and their entire team, who are, each and every one of them, first class people. This tour has been the most fun ever. Hail to the Mighty Slayer and their crew.​

Fuck!! Now I'm even more jealous of Gene!

Love the look on his face in this pic.

40026892_1870475669696130_7787447947339235328_n.jpg
LOL, that look on his face is priceless!. If it wasn't for what he wrote you wouldn't be able to tell if he's seeing the greatest thing ever or the worst .. or just zoomed in on someone's crotch by accident lol

Damn I am so far out of touch with the real world.
I had to look up the word droogie as it related to Megadeth and this is what the urban dictionary defines it as

Droogie
A fan of popular speed metal band Megadeth.

It also states that Megadeth means "the world's state of the art speed metal band"

Consider me educated!
Hahaha, I knew the Droogie part but the second part may possibly need a little updating. Unless it's for the near future and this album is back to Speed Metal territory.

With Metallica, I think it might be a bit of both. Probably the MA guys don't bother trying but why not I'm not sure exactly. I would think because Metallica is too big, but one the other hand if they weren't ego driven wankers that shouldn't matter, they should be approachable. On even another hand. I did remember that Hetfield did some vocals on the Corrosion track Not Man Or Ash, and Kirk did a solo on the last Exodus. Now Hetfield is a big Pepper/ Corrosion fan, so that explains that and Kirk has a history with Exodus and never got to record with them, so that makes sense. As for Lars idk and I'm not really counting Rob.
But surely they have been approached by the people that make tribute albums, but even for the bands they say influenced them like Sabbath or Motorhead, they don't do them. At least from what I know. I know they aren't on either Nativity In Black albums. And practically everyone else is.
But they seem to have no problem doing things like docs or artsy stuff. You know things that get more press and they even did that song with that rapper for something I don't even remember. And they did do the song for Mission Impossible movie. I guess one could argue that they do lots of covers in their live set and Garage days and Kill Em All. But that's kind of different to me.
So I guess to me it seems they are more willing to give their time to things that give them more exposure and there for leads to more money. But it's really unanswerable until some interviewer asks them..or fan, as they do a lot of Q/A on their website.

I think that all the people. Or almost all the people on the MA albums have done shows with the Band. I know Chuck has. None of the other Megadeth guys have been on the albums. But Broderick and Drover..and Jr have been part of the Dimabash. shows.

With Dave and I guess back to Metallica. It just seems weird that in 30 some odd years none of them have done it ( to my knowledge )
They must have had hundreds of offers by record companies' by now.

I wonder how they split up the bass duties in MA? Obviously Jr is only there when he can be. But when he is, how do they do it? Because while I know that this project is the idea of the other bass player. I really have no idea who he is. And why Jr wouldn't just do everything when he's there.

I always figured Hammet's effort of BIBO was more a legacy thing than anything else, but I could be wrong. Hetfield I wouldn't be surprised to do something else, be it MA or something else, but I can't see Larz or Rob being MA material. If they have been asked and the excuse was anything other than timing conflict I think the Metallica boys are wankers, but I think when you look at the list of people who have played maybe asking Metallica is too mainstream.

Actually the point of them being on tribute albums is fair. They play a lot of covers on stage and over the years it must be quite a list of bands they have thought enough of to play live. Some of those songs have appeared on their albums but rarely on anything else. Maybe they ask too much for an appearance fee.

I haven't seen enough MA live shows to see how many ex-Megadeth or ex-Dream Theater etc have played I was fairly sure Chuck did but other than that I wasn't sure.

Since Jnr is only a solid bass player maybe he only gets to play the easy bits :)

Reactions: redfly
LOL, that look on his face is priceless!. If it wasn't for what he wrote you wouldn't be able to tell if he's seeing the greatest thing ever or the worst .. or just zoomed in on someone's crotch by accident lol

Oh gawd I hope he wasn't looking at a crotch shot since most of the cameras would have been focused on Slayer!

Hahaha, I knew the Droogie part but the second part may possibly need a little updating. Unless it's for the near future and this album is back to Speed Metal territory.

He never called me a droogie. I remember the word from Clockwork Orange but I hadn't heard Dave use it.

Yeah I like the song. But it's still not a seller for me lol Is it me or did they make parts of it sound just a little like the Bush era of Anthrax?

Well why not? God is Jr's bodyguard then by extension if he's close enough to Portnoy...

I don't know if that Anthrax sound is deliberate or not, because they did say in the interview the song fitted JB so well, but the similarities are definitely there.

Jnr must feel safe :)

I always figured Hammet's effort of BIBO was more a legacy thing than anything else, but I could be wrong. Hetfield I wouldn't be surprised to do something else, be it MA or something else, but I can't see Larz or Rob being MA material. If they have been asked and the excuse was anything other than timing conflict I think the Metallica boys are wankers, but I think when you look at the list of people who have played maybe asking Metallica is too mainstream.

Actually the point of them being on tribute albums is fair. They play a lot of covers on stage and over the years it must be quite a list of bands they have thought enough of to play live. Some of those songs have appeared on their albums but rarely on anything else. Maybe they ask too much for an appearance fee.

I haven't seen enough MA live shows to see how many ex-Megadeth or ex-Dream Theater etc have played I was fairly sure Chuck did but other than that I wasn't sure.

Since Jnr is only a solid bass player maybe he only gets to play the easy bits :)
I think you're right about the legacy thing for Hammet. I was actually surprised when he did it.
Generally if you look at old interviews or video clips or even things they've done in concert Metallica has been a very arrogant band. Certainly Hetfield and Lars. Maybe Hammet just went along for the ride but he was part of it. Cliff's seemed to be a bit more good natured. Hetfield's I think may have been alcohol induced as he's said he was or is actually very shy and he seems to have chilled out a bit in recent years. But I think that Lars was just born that way. He's just douchy in too many ways.
And I can see Hetfield being wanted for things as he is the voice, but Lars? Not since the Black era. Maybe some hipster rock band might think it was cool to have him. Otherwise he's just gonna bring the song down. It would be a much better draw as the whole band. With the exception of James.
Overall I think you might be right about the mainstream thing and the possibilities of just being wankers is pretty high lol. It doesn't take much to contribute to a song especially in the days of computers. They wouldn't have to be there at the shows. they just don't really seem to be a part of the community everyone else is. they have their circle that seems to mostly be comprised of them, managers and other business people and that's pretty much it.

Lol solid bass player. God what a kick in the teeth. Fucking Mustaine. The guy you love to hate and vice versa.

I don't know if that Anthrax sound is deliberate or not, because they did say in the interview the song fitted JB so well, but the similarities are definitely there.

Jnr must feel safe :)
It must be deliberate. That's not usually the way Alex writes. And Portnoy is just lame enough I could see it being his idea.

Jr is. Wrapped in the arms of god. :)

I think you're right about the legacy thing for Hammet. I was actually surprised when he did it.
Generally if you look at old interviews or video clips or even things they've done in concert Metallica has been a very arrogant band. Certainly Hetfield and Lars. Maybe Hammet just went along for the ride but he was part of it. Cliff's seemed to be a bit more good natured. Hetfield's I think may have been alcohol induced as he's said he was or is actually very shy and he seems to have chilled out a bit in recent years. But I think that Lars was just born that way. He's just douchy in too many ways.
And I can see Hetfield being wanted for things as he is the voice, but Lars? Not since the Black era. Maybe some hipster rock band might think it was cool to have him. Otherwise he's just gonna bring the song down. It would be a much better draw as the whole band. With the exception of James.
Overall I think you might be right about the mainstream thing and the possibilities of just being wankers is pretty high lol. It doesn't take much to contribute to a song especially in the days of computers. They wouldn't have to be there at the shows. they just don't really seem to be a part of the community everyone else is. they have their circle that seems to mostly be comprised of them, managers and other business people and that's pretty much it.

Lol solid bass player. God what a kick in the teeth. Fucking Mustaine. The guy you love to hate and vice versa.

Maybe Hammet's thing with Exodus was because he thought it was the 40th anniversary and was getting in before Zetro claimed it :)

For sure with the arrogance of Hetfield and Ulrich. I didn't see it as much with Hammet but just because I didn't see it doesn't mean I'd rule it out. I think both Burton and Newstead were different people. Maybe that was because they knew Hetfield and Ulrich ruled the roost maybe it was their nature but I never really saw those two as out spoken arrogant pricks. Even to this day Newstead doesn't shit can the band as much as he could. Ulrich was born to well off parents who told him he was going to be a pro tennis player and moved him to America to be their dream, I think there is a lot of 'born this way' with him.

Unless it was a compilation, as you suggested Motorhead tribute etc, I can't see anyone wanting Lars to guest, he's nothing more than a drummer with weird faces and poor taste in clothing. Actually I take that back, after collaborations with Lou Reed and Lady Ga Ga I can see their next collaboration will either be with Kayne West because his missus was seen wearing a Metallica shirt, or Justine Bieber for the same reason!

I think Dave probably said that 'soild' comment without thinking but I'm waiting for the next Jnr interview where he calls Snr a solid frontman.

Oh that's right, I forgot it was from Clockwork. I seem to recall he may have actually given the movie props for that but I can't be certain. He's been using it for a very long time though.

Maybe I don't listen to his waffle between songs. Actually I have been accused of that quite a few times at gigs so it's not surprising!

It must be deliberate. That's not usually the way Alex writes. And Portnoy is just lame enough I could see it being his idea.

Jr is. Wrapped in the arms of god. :)

In some ways it makes sense. MA is not really in the style of Armored Saint so the Anthrax sound is more likely to fit with them. It would be interesting to hear something from Testament sung by John too see if it's his voice that makes people think Anthrax.

I bet Jnr feels safe, there aren't many other solid bass players in the world who are so protected.

This addresses some of what we talked about, I'm not sure it answers anything

www.blabbermouth.net/news/david-ellefson-says-metal-allegiance-does-not-make-internet-records/

You're right, not all questions answered but there was some. It appears they wrote John's song, yet Blitz helped write his. So to make the Blitz song sound Overkill-ish they used Blitz's influence where as to make a song sound Anthrax-ish they wrote it and John just sang. Makes me think John's got a distinct voice and style for heavier music and a lot of what he sings will sound like Anthrax.

Interesting to hear that they haven't really been knocked back by anyone.