The what's going on in Thrash thread

I agree, if nothing else he has the FFDP tour. I don't think Devy has actually announced any dates yet so I guess Dirk can fit in but it would be good to see some dates, or studio time from Megadeth.
I hope one day there can be a full on SYL reunion with the members....without Devy getting all traumatized by it :rolleyes:

Reactions: Slammed
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/w...david-ellefson-perform-judas-priest-classics/

Can't be bothered posting all the videos shown here.
It's unsurprising to me that KK can still play guitar, he's got a skill and it served him well, unlike his mouth. So seeing these videos and seeing the guy play is pretty much what I expected.
The band look pretty good for a bunch of guys who wouldn't have done that much together and the playing is pretty tight.
It's pretty clear that while there has been imitators there is no one else that can do the signature KK/Tipton head bang move on stage. You can see KK looking for it several times and even when they do get it going it's not exactly right.
All in all I think this show was more about Jnr giving KK a gig than anything else and seriously if the guy keeps his mouth shut and just does what he's good at I can see a temporary reunion with the band being awesome next year.
The only let down of these videos (forgetting the sound isn't great) is Ripper. He looks like a guy they dragged up from the audience, he sounds terrible and it looks like he's trying to attach himself to something popular to remain relevant. In a few of the videos you can hear a guy from the audience singing, he's pretty bloody bad, but he's better than Ripper!!
I'm not I can even watch these. Ugh...Ripper.

Apart from the crappy sound of phone recordings they are worth watching. The shorter clips are more KK and music than they are Ripper and it does show KK still has his talent.

Reactions: redfly
It's taken nearly a month to show up but here's Chuck singing down at Rock N Rio with Claustrofobia and Torture Squad. Sounds pretty good.

Chuck sounds pretty damn good. had a little chuckle when the chick started backing him up on Practice though. That type of screaming is stupid when a man does and ridiculous when a woman does it.

I was going to watch all of them before I realized how many there were! I watched 7, I don't know. I think you really have to be a lifelong Priest fan to enjoy this stuff.
Is that why KK is considered good? Old blues licks that sound impressive when they're played a little faster and whammy bar tricks? Not cutting on him really ( more cutting on his Blabber supporters ) but that's kind of my impression from everything I watched. And then the synchronized head bob he loves to remind people he invented. He can have it lol. Most of those clips reminded me of why I only really like the Painkiller album and Firepower.
But. I will say he does have a lot of energy up there. I can see why he would add to a live setting.

Chuck sounds pretty damn good. had a little chuckle when the chick started backing him up on Practice though. That type of screaming is stupid when a man does and ridiculous when a woman does it.

I was really impressed with Chuck's singing on those three songs, he sounds better there than he did on Megacruise.

I was going to watch all of them before I realized how many there were! I watched 7, I don't know. I think you really have to be a lifelong Priest fan to enjoy this stuff.
Is that why KK is considered good? Old blues licks that sound impressive when they're played a little faster and whammy bar tricks? Not cutting on him really ( more cutting on his Blabber supporters ) but that's kind of my impression from everything I watched. And then the synchronized head bob he loves to remind people he invented. He can have it lol. Most of those clips reminded me of why I only really like the Painkiller album and Firepower.
But. I will say he does have a lot of energy up there. I can see why he would add to a live setting.

I don't think too many sane people actually think KK invented anything, other than the double head bang guitar dance that he and Tipton used to do. Therefore I don't think his skill is necessarily in being original or inventive but the songs they are playing have withstood the test of time. Be it the licks, the solos, the rhythm whatever it is they are instantly recognisable. Maiden, Ozzy, Sabbath all those have the same sort of appeal that sets them apart from others and it makes their 30 year old songs instantly recognisable but not all of them are super talented or skilled.

KK's good at what he does and he can play more than well enough to entertain an audience his two biggest issues are his mouth and his rapid fans who actually think the sun shines out his arse. Take those to away and he's as listenable as any other metal guitarist.

I don't think too many sane people actually think KK invented anything, other than the double head bang guitar dance that he and Tipton used to do. Therefore I don't think his skill is necessarily in being original or inventive but the songs they are playing have withstood the test of time. Be it the licks, the solos, the rhythm whatever it is they are instantly recognisable. Maiden, Ozzy, Sabbath all those have the same sort of appeal that sets them apart from others and it makes their 30 year old songs instantly recognisable but not all of them are super talented or skilled.

KK's good at what he does and he can play more than well enough to entertain an audience his two biggest issues are his mouth and his rapid fans who actually think the sun shines out his arse. Take those to away and he's as listenable as any other metal guitarist.
I agree with pretty much everything except that last part. I find his playing pretty boring (at least what was in those clips) and pretty basic. I think his effects make him sound more impressive than he is. I didn't hear anything at all that was difficult. He just played a little faster and to people who don't play it sounds better than it is. Throw in some squeals and there ya go. When he wasn't doing faster blues licks and tried to do runs he sounded like Kerry Kings solos. Just faster for the sake of faster but no real style like he doesn't really know where to go on the fret board.

Totally agree! He sounded really great! So it was someone else's set right? But they had Testaments backdrop and played a Testament intro? Do I have that right?

Yeah not sure how that worked. I don't remember if Testament were at Rock In Rio this year but I remember seeing on FB that Chuck was making a special appearance with Torture Squad. Not sure if where Claustrafobia fitted in either as I don't remember their name on Chuck's FB promo. I figured the backdrop was just there as recognition to Chuck, but like I said my impression was that the band (Testament) wasn't there. I could be wrong though.

I agree with pretty much everything except that last part. I find his playing pretty boring (at least what was in those clips) and pretty basic. I think his effects make him sound more impressive than he is. I didn't hear anything at all that was difficult. He just played a little faster and to people who don't play it sounds better than it is. Throw in some squeals and there ya go. When he wasn't doing faster blues licks and tried to do runs he sounded like Kerry Kings solos. Just faster for the sake of faster but no real style like he doesn't really know where to go on the fret board.

King sights one of his biggest influences as KK so it's not surprising there is similarities. I don't think KK's ever been known as a technically brilliant player who plays things other people can't, but my point was that very few in metal are. People will always find brilliance in different places, there are thousands out there that can cite reasons why Lars is a brilliant drummer. There is people out there who claim Vince Neil could sing. People who think Hendrix invented the guitar. It's not that these players are technically brilliant or more skilled than other players it's got more to do with finding the right mix of what they can do that people want. KK and JP did that years ago and those songs now have a huge following.

I can totally see KK's influence on KK :)
Yeah I think KK's really good in the context of a group but not so much on his own. The blabbers don't seem to see it that way though. Actually I think many in metal are some of the best in the world. I'd say per capita metal has more talented players than any other genre.

I can totally see KK's influence on KK :)
Yeah I think KK's really good in the context of a group but not so much on his own. The blabbers don't seem to see it that way though. Actually I think many in metal are some of the best in the world. I'd say per capita metal has more talented players than any other genre.

One KK might have named himself after the other KK

The commentors on blabber seem to be more nostalgic than anything else. "KK deserves everything because he was a part of JP". They will go as far as saying he is a guitar god but like you say by himself he's not the god they make him out to be. If JP hadn't broken like they did, and they broke internationally for more reasons than just his guitar playing, KK would not be as famous as he is today. KK might have a talent but it was the band that broke everything not him.

One KK might have named himself after the other KK

The commentors on blabber seem to be more nostalgic than anything else. "KK deserves everything because he was a part of JP". They will go as far as saying he is a guitar god but like you say by himself he's not the god they make him out to be. If JP hadn't broken like they did, and they broke internationally for more reasons than just his guitar playing, KK would not be as famous as he is today. KK might have a talent but it was the band that broke everything not him.
That would be pretty damn funny if King had changed either his first or last name just to have KK.

No shit? That's awesome! Will it be anywhere near you? Have they been there at all before by themselves?

Nah it's a fucking Download Festival. They have been here before to similar festivals, not sure how many times but I don't think they have ever played their own gigs. Tickets are $195 and so far (and it is early days, show was only announced today) there is only two bands I would consider and that is Testament and Alestorm...oh that's if I don't include such classic bands as My Chemical Romance, Deftones and Jimmy Eat World who are headlining.

That would be pretty damn funny if King had changed either his first or last name just to have KK.

Well he has on more than a few occasions suggested with KK he wouldn't have been the guitarist he is...but no as far as I know he was born Kerry King.