The what's going on in Thrash thread

In true Dave fashion! I have almost never heard Dave give a compliment without some sort of backhanded comment.
Chris is a great drummer..but Dirk is ..wow (paraphrasing lol)
He just doesn't even need to bring Chris up at all.

Yeah now that you mention it I agree most of his interviews are like that. Maybe he thinks he has to compare current to past to save the journos doing it. He's doing his bit to help :)

Reactions: redfly
I couldn't help myself if I was a sort after muso. I'd make up all sorts of shit to different journos just to see what they print.

Yeah you'd have to do it with a plan, but with the right plan most of the journos wouldn't even know it was happening because their whole point of existence is to create controversy and if a muso is doing it for them they'll think it's their wonderful interviewing skills.

Was watching some fan footage of the Philmore concert with Megadeth (it's on all the rag sites) the footage isn't too bad but it really does appear many Megadeth shows have pretty average sound, especially vocal volume.

I saw them on the anniversary of Countdown and they sounded pretty good. But it also sounded like it could have been louder and I've heard many people say that the louder you have the amp the better it sounds. That's just a thought. I really am just not a fan of the down tuning. I know he does it because of his voice and he has a plate in his throat and I accept that. Shit happens. But you add in tuning down and to me it just makes two things sound wrong.

Reactions: Slammed
Volume is often used to hide mistakes even by the big bands but most of the live shows I've seen of Megadeth seem to have low vocals. Maybe it's Dave's vocal rather than the recording because the times I've seen them live they've been pretty good. Just seems to me that all the live recordings you have to know the words to be able to understand the lyrics. The Countdown Anniversary didn't come down here but much to the horror of some of the guys I know I bought the album the day it was released as I was quite impressed with the sound compared to so many other videos I have seen.

Oh also a lot of people don't know how to properly use their phone to record! lol And maybe Dave is really buzzed on his wine or beer! His bottom lip has gotten really droopy.So yeah maybe they are turning his mic down lol

I like Countdown. I wished they had gotten in one more full on thrash album with that line up. But it wasn't like the Black album. Megadeth was still playing their asses off. And I don't really hear filler when I listen to it like I do with the black album now. I can certainly see how some people would hate Countdown though. I didn't mind maybe because I had a bunch of bands I liked that stayed completely furious lol

Yeah phone recording really are a gig killer. I can't remember which band it was but there was a story a few weeks back on Blabbermouth where the guitarist said things wont ever be the same at gigs any more because too many people want to spend more time filming their gig on their phones than they do watching the gig. I guess whoever that was does have a point.

Most people I know hate Countdown because they hate Dave. They have the same hate for Metallica because of Lars., they will go back in time and pick a date, (black album for Metallica and sacking Nick and Marty for Megadeth) but their hatred is with the muso not the music. I kind of got the same with Pantera, I listened to their early stuff but really didn't like Phil so I gave up on the band. Maiden is the same, I really dislike PD and he ruins the early albums for me, but I really like the songs. I don't hate anyone as much as some people seem to hate Dave but I still give the music a go.

I remember that article and I also don't remember who it was lol But yeah you can see the difference in live footage. I just really started noticing it as I've been on a little live Exodus kick and as the years go by in these European festivals the crowds are less and less active the pit get smaller and more people are standing there looking at their phones recording. Which I think is cool because there's plenty of really cool stuff that would never have been captured otherwise. Things that will be gold in a hundred years if we're still around.
But I also think it sucks for the bands who are trying their best and they look out and it looks like nobody gives a damn even if they do.
And A lot of the kids are missing out on the whole experience in my opinion

Dave has erked me a few times with the stuff he says. But it's Dave that's what he does, love to hate'em and I can't let it bother me enough to miss out on music I like. If the album sucks it's a different story! I'm the fan I'm allowed to be greedy lol

Quite a few of the Euro festivals are recording the entire event. It won't ever stop fans with phones but I think it's a good thing. I was watching the live feed of Alestorm from GrasPop (I think it was) in Belgium a week or so back and the streaming quality was good and the sound was quiet reasonable. With any band on the bill can use that footage for themselves I don't know but if I was going to a gig I knew was being recorded I certainly wouldn't be filming it myself.

Like any band Megadeth has done some songs I don't like but overall I don't think there is an entire album I don't like.

So I guess the stand in drummer for Flots during their summer appearances is a guy named Ken Mary.Anybody heard of him?

Quite a few of the Euro festivals are recording the entire event. It won't ever stop fans with phones but I think it's a good thing. I was watching the live feed of Alestorm from GrasPop (I think it was) in Belgium a week or so back and the streaming quality was good and the sound was quiet reasonable. With any band on the bill can use that footage for themselves I don't know but if I was going to a gig I knew was being recorded I certainly wouldn't be filming it myself.

Like any band Megadeth has done some songs I don't like but overall I don't think there is an entire album I don't like.
Yeah I watched a bunch of different bands. I'm glad the festivals are doing that.
I'll give Risk another try in say 10 years lol