The what's going on in Thrash thread

That's great to put on events for the kids like that. I bet they all had a great time!
Yeah that's really too bad that that band did that. That really is some selfish shit!

Reactions: Slammed
That's great to put on events for the kids like that. I bet they all had a great time!
Yeah that's really too bad that that band did that. That really is some selfish shit!

It was basically all we did. Started out as a local thing but after a few years it became government funded and they gave us the venue (which was small but free) the sound and lighting was donated and the first Friday of every month we'd have an open stage. Any band, free sound and lights by us, $5 entry, all ages, no booze. Then every summer we'd throw together an outdoor gig with a dozen or so bands at the skatepark next door, not a cent was made by anyone it was all for the kids in one of the roughest areas for drugs, alcohol and unemployment. Most of the bands may never have made it on an international scene but seeing some of them was still brilliant, the few that did go onto bigger things were mostly on the soft side but we still saw some great bands that never really made it out of the garage.

Should be a really good show. Kinda weird but cool. I wonder what this small change in direction will be?

They are changing to love songs and ballads :)

Not a bad effort for a guy that's going through chemo.

Reactions: redfly
It sounds like you did an excellent job representing metal and music! It's a real shame there isn't more support for things like that.
I know we could have used something like that..and still could lol. for a time it seemed like they were putting more money into the arts and now it's being cut again.

It must pretty cool to have basically given some of the bands that went on to bigger things some of their first exposure. :kickass:

It was good while it lasted. In the end the only reason it stopped was because the government stopped funding it and without their support we couldn't afford to keep it going. We had music shops supporting it but without the local council we didn't have a venue and we couldn't afford to pay for a venue.

Dukes seems pretty upbeat about it.

Dukes comment about burying the hatchet etc are good to hear, more bands should try it.

So I guess they won't be going with a known drummer.

In some ways I can see that as a good thing. No comparisons, by media, fans or other band musos. But it could just as easily fall flat on them.

If this is half as good as The Decline of Western Civilisation it will be.....ummm...ummmm....still not very good :)

I'm really surprised at how level headed Dukes actually seems sometimes considering his stage banter lol

Nah Flotsam's gone that route too many times. It's put up or shut up time if they are really gonna go for it now. Unless whoever they choose is just absolutely amazing.
I just hope they don't do what Metal church is doing which is getting rock drummers for their band. But I'm pretty sure there is 0 chance of that...

LOL you know I've only seen parts of that documentary.

Not that I'm a fan any more but After reading the Duke interview yesterday I read an interview with John Corbie and he was saying he still can't talk to Nikki Sixx because it would end in a fight. He said he's love to bury the hatchet but just can't see it happen. Then Nikki's response is a mouthful of negative words and shit talk. I've no doubt John is not innocent but sheesh how much of a dick does Nikki want to be. Maybe Dukes should punch some sense into Nikki...then again Nikki's not much more than a walking headline these days so he's not very relevant.

I haven't really kept up with F&J that much, I've heard most of their albums when they come out but I wouldn't now who is n the band any more.

I saw Decline when it came out and thought Spinal Tap was better :)

MOD is out, going to have to mail order it thought, none of my locals will have it in stock.

I think with Nikki needing to bring in ratings for his radio show he will always be stirring up the shit as long as he has that.

Oh man me and Neptune were haunting Flotsams site for years lol Talked to all of them regularly for years except AK and Ed they never showed up. The band right now it AK, Mike Gilbert is back on guitar along with Steve Conley, I forget what he was in but he's awesome. Michael Spencer is on bass. He played the 97 tour after Newsted left and did some writing for No Place For Disgrace. And Bittner well that traitor just left as traitors will do! lol jk.

Spinal Tap, another one I've only seen bits of lol

LOL I would have to order MOD as well.

I think I heard Nikki was going to be a judge on Idol or on of those shows. If that's the case I think Nikki needs to consider a quiet retirement.

Flotsam was one of those bands that didn't get a a lot of notice down here. When other bands were thriving in the 80's and 90's before the net they just didn't get any publicity and because they never toured they never really became a talked about band. There is still quite a few fans down here but most of them either early fans or later fans they really don't know much between about 2000 and 2010.

I liked Spinal Tap for what it was, the music was average but it was a piss take it wasn't supposed to be brilliant metal. The fact that people canned it because it wasn't metal was part of the appeal for me. I was looking through the list of albums in 2009 (for the 09 ranking thread) and one of the albums was the Spinal Tap album, which I do own, I was thinking of putting it at number 1 in the poll because of how some people in that thread will react :)

I'm going to decide today whether to order a local copy of MOD and wait maybe a week or order from the US and get a few more things and wait for 2-3 weeks.

Haha Flotsam is one of those bands that didn't get a lot of press anywhere lol Between label and managerial bullshit and not touring enough they just missed the mark. Hopefully they can make some of that back. The new album is killer.

I thought that that was the point of spinal tap? to get peoples goat? Do you have that expression? lol

It was the last album that got me back into them.

Yeah we use that and similar some times more crass expressions. The problem with Spinal Tap at the time was some people didn't realise it was fictional and they got all bent out of shape when it was pointed out to them. Some of those people still lurk but instead of forgetting about it they spend their time ragging shit out of any that does make even a slightly positive comment about it. It's kind of like defending Babymetal just because you know a whole bunch of social justice warriors on the internet want to hate them. On one forum I used to frequent I would post every Babymetal song released not because I liked them that much but because several others hated it and couldn't help but lose their shit when it was posted in a "metal" forum.

It did however mean I listened to a bit of Babymetal and while I may never be a fan I actually like some of the music they have behind them :)

LOL I haven't really listened to much but i have nothing against them. How could I have something against crazy Japanese metal real life anime?! lol
It's to insane to hate lol. Plus anything that gets kids into metal is better than pop or rap.