Thermionik Amp Modeler Plugin by Kazrog LLC

Maybe visit Kazrog's official forum over on KVR where questions like this have been answered a few times, but I understand it's hard to find certain info in a bunch of threads/posts that go off topic quickly :).

If I may (TRY) to speak for Shane from what I've read on his official forum:

- He's very sorry and frankly ashamed of the delays in getting it all out. Lessons learned so to say, and he hopes people will have the patience to see the major big update that it all became.
- Most importantly: For people who bought 'VIP' which basically means: 'free amp packs for 3 years' he assured that people who bought VIP will still get the same amount of amp packs that originally would be in the first 3 years. Or in other words, instead of slowly releasing amp packs for 3 years long you will get them faster, but in the end the exact same amount as planned and the exact same value.

It's rumoured now (note:rumours, nothing confirmed so don't hold it against him) that instead of Recabinet '4.1' it now becomes a major 5.0 update (free for existing 4.0 owners) with the whole groundworks for separate modules and separate amp packs (and even things like effects and pedals and such) in it.

If anything is wrong in this (besides not responding to rumours :p), Shane will of course correct it. But like I said, you are not the only VIP customer who asked this and this has been Shane's answer on the official forum for a number of times.

The wait is super tough especially given the expectations set even relatively recently of it being "85 percent done" or "95 percent done", not to mention the posts from the beginning of this year in this thread.

That being said, no one's name or reputation is on the line except for Shane's, and this has to be worse for him than anybody who ponied up money and is waiting. I wish the guy the best and hope he can hit the accelerator once he clears this logjam.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

I'm working on this every day, and it is still my intention to get the update out this year (2015.) It is finally getting really close, as the last 3 months have gone extremely smoothly, and everything is coming out even better than I had hoped.

PS - here's a quick preview of the new "Vocal 30" amp model, based on a famous British amp of the 1960s:

Last edited by a moderator:
looking forward to it Kazrog. Hopefully the update will bring more attention to it because I don't hear much about it. But I think that is because of the long period without any update or anything like that.

Shane, you need to slow the Thermionik e-mails down. Been getting at least one per week, and some 2 or 3 days apart. It's not effective advertising if it's alienating people.

I think he should give a free copy of his game to all VIP members.

13040856_1727589354185552_4357747053395665883_o.jpg

Not sure what the necrobump is about. It's certainly not my intention to alienate anyone - the email list uses open tracking, so you shouldn't be getting any emails if you've opened any of the last 20 campaigns. Sorry for any annoyance!

PS - if anyone comes to this thread mistaking it for the current state of things, Thermionik 5 and Recabinet 5 have been out a while now. :)

When the hell did this happen? :eek:

Haha, just noticed this in my alerts. I guess we're both a bit behind on things. Thermionik 5 came out back in January.

Here are a couple of videos that sum things up as far as what it all is, and why I made it.

I'm working on a more metal-focused video as well. I felt that the expressive dynamics video was important to start with, since so many discovered Thermionik from its early metal-oriented models that appeared in the Recabinet 4 release. I wanted to emphasize that now in version 5, you can really cover any musical territory with its 25 amp models, easily and happily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Delitzsch
Am I the only one who's getting CPU spikes (leading to an error) in Pro Tools 12 whenever I am using any of the buttons or selectors in Thermionik 5? Turning the dials is fine, but as soon as I change the channel, or click"bright" etc. the CPU meter goes up to the roof and Pro Tools stops with an error if it's playing. It it is not playing, the error will be ignored and does not show up, but the spike can be seen in the System Usage window.
This is Thermionik 5.0.3 Demo on 64 Bit AAX, Windows 7, Core i5-750@4GHz.

Other than that, it sounds pretty good and my old system can run about 8 instances, which is fine.

Last edited:
Just purchased Thermionik. Without a doubt the best amp simulation out there at the moment.

Thanks!

Am I the only one who's getting CPU spikes (leading to an error) in Pro Tools 12 whenever I am using any of the buttons or selectors in Thermionik 5?

On an i5 in Pro Tools at anything resembling low latency, there's a strong likelihood this will happen. Try adjusting the Quality in Thermionik down a bit. It can be more difficult to get Pro Tools to behave well when tracking through native plugins vs. other hosts. There's nothing I can do on my end about that, sadly.

hah, finally a proof that ProTools sucks :D

Haha, well Pro Tools has a lot of good qualities, actually, but there is a bit of a conflict of interest with native performance when Avid also are in the business of selling DSP accelerator hardware. It can take a bit of fiddling to get it to be a reasonable platform for tracking through native plugins, but it can be done.

As a developer, I've been much happier with Pro Tools since version 11 and AAX 64 bit. It's much more reliable and stable than the old RTAS paradigm. The developers at Avid who've stayed on board and cleaned up the platform (despite the company itself being embattled for many years now) deserve some kind of a medal of honor.

Full disclosure: my primary DAWs for making actual music are Reaper and Cubase.

PS - all Thermionik and Recabinet products have been price cut recently. Working on a slew of new amp models at the moment as well.

Last edited: