Thermionik Amp Modeler Plugin by Kazrog LLC

Just wanted to drop a line and say thanks for making the demo available. I've been planning on picking this up because I liked Recab 3 well enough and "why not?", but I always like to try the demos of new things because I run a fairly old setup ( win vista64 / cubase 5 ).

I inserted this on some current guitar noodling / superior projects and I am blown away. To speak to the accuracy, the Dual Recto actually sounds like my Dual Recto. Its very dynamic feeling, very open but with a bit of that ugly fizz that makes Rectos so cool. The 5150 is dead on, Ive played and recorded enough to comment I would say. I dont own any of the other guitar amps modeled but they all have the vibe that I would expect them to have going on and just sound flat out superb.

Also, I've always been sort of lukewarm to the majority of the stock impulse library in Recab but in conjunction with the amp sim they actually sound pretty remarkable across the board.

The only critique I have is regarding the BassOmatic amp model, It just sounded plain awful to me, am I missing something? Is it for blending with a full range bass tone or do I need to think about how I set it up differently than a normal amp? It just sounds kind of tinny and wacky. In fairness, I REALLY liked some of the clean channel models going into a stock recab bass cab, so its not like great bass tones arent available in the plug, I just thought it was odd the one for bass seemed the worst on bass.

Anyways, Im definitely going in full VIP after demoing this. Awesome work on this. I totally recommend that people check this out for themselves.

I love getting feedback like this. Thanks!!!

And yes, the BassOMatic is designed to be blended with a compressed DI. This model will be getting a wet/dry control soon. On that note, many changes are coming to the plugin UI, which will open up a lot of features going forward.

I am just now getting to really try out Recab4, since I have been out of the studio for a while dealing with life (bought a home, expecting a baby, trying to get three characters level 30 in Destiny, the important stuff you know).

The Serpent amp is actually my personal Framus Cobra, and it gets really damn close to the sound and feel of it. I actually found that my favorite thing with this is to take an impulse of my full signal chain (From amp input, to cab mics) and then load it up. Since it feels very close, and the impulse makes the tone 100%, its perfect.

I used icem4n's "Nothing Left" DIs (only two rhythm and bass tracks)

http://www.reverbnation.com/ravensongstudios/song/22309901-thermionik-test-framus-cobra-impulses

This is using the tse808 in front of Recab. In hindsight, these are overgained. I only used the amp modeling to change how the DIs sounded through the impulses, and the EQ section of Recab. Nothing else was used (any other eqs, stereo enhancers, etc). Bass is done with only the bassomatic. I ran it through Ozone 4's maximer. There is also the full mix I did which was my cobra recorded and is the session I took my impulses from (It does have post processing done and the full mix rhythm tone has a blend with my Hughes And Kettner Vortex)

And if anyone wants them, my impulses and Recab 4 settings (Lead channel, line6 spider valve v30 cab, Shure SM57 and Audix D2 both on axis)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9wJLa_Iu1dvd3FWOFRlMzlpOUE/view?usp=sharing

The new update has significantly reduced CPU use, so that's really awesome, thanks!

Any idea when the VIP guys can expect some new amps in there?

Clips sound great! Thanks again for your Cobra samples!

guy in latvia - the amp packs will be coming in December or January. We're going to release 2 or 3 packs of 4 models each once the amp packs go live to make up for lost time (then going to a steadier pace of an amp pack every month or so.) So, by January, there will be 12 new amp models to play with. :cool:

Also, a lot of other things are in the works, including a UI redesign.

I have only played with the demo and some DIs for about 30 min but here are some things i missed:
-Being able to "link" the volume/output of the cabs so i can increase one and decrease the other at the same time (with recabinet IRs and external IRs) or have a % mix knob in the middle of the two cabs (i would actually prefer the mix knob) and have the output be global for the cab section instead of two separate output knobs.
-I would love separate vsts for the amp/cabinet/eq section or at least being able to deactivate and make that part of the plugin "disappear" saving screen space.
- I don't use the implemented EQ module (as i already EQ afterwards) so even if i don't use it it occupies a lot of space (option to make it deactivate/disappear)
- I would like to be able to make a "default" IR folder so when i click the "import IR button" it directly goes to that directory..and when i choose "the other" import IR button it would be great that it goes to that default folder or at least to the same folder the other is in.

funny thing...i got great bass sounds (and i know "great" is very subjective) with the guitar clean and crunch channels into the 8x10 cab

Not everything was bad :rofl:DD
i really liked the plugin and I was able to get good "mix-ready" sounds in a couple of minutes.
I cant wait to see what you have under your sleeve for the future. (please make some bass preamps *cough*darkglass bk7*cough")

Played around with Jotun Studios' Killswitch DIs today and used the Psycho B with the Recabinet Oversize on this track for all the rhythms, leads are the Duality with the Tangerine:

Soundcloud quality is obviously potato but I think it sounds rather nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
- I would like to be able to make a "default" IR folder so when i click the "import IR button" it directly goes to that directory..and when i choose "the other" import IR button it would be great that it goes to that default folder or at least to the same folder the other is in.

+1 on this

I have what I believe is a denormal issue when disabling the cab section. There's a pop and the meters in my daw freeze. It goes back to normal when re-enabling it.
Cubase 7 x64 Win 7 x64.

the amps´ DC offset is modeled in Thermionik :)
when you activate the cabs, it´s still there. they just can´t reproduce DC offset, just like in the real world

* i think it´s not necessary at all, but doesn´t hurt either :D

I have what I believe is a denormal issue when disabling the cab section. There's a pop and the meters in my daw freeze. It goes back to normal when re-enabling it.
Cubase 7 x64 Win 7 x64.

This will need to be looked into, but the plugin has anti denormal protection throughout...

Thanks for the update but 96k is still unusable here in reaper 64, windows 7, i7. Sine wave bug still f-ing me. All other sample rates seem to work minus a beeping in between changing cabs and pre-amp and such. Loving this sim but until I can use it at any sample rate I'm sticking with x50.

Thanks for the update but 96k is still unusable here in reaper 64, windows 7, i7. Sine wave bug still f-ing me. All other sample rates seem to work minus a beeping in between changing cabs and pre-amp and such. Loving this sim but until I can use it at any sample rate I'm sticking with x50.

The 96k bug is still being worked on. There shouldn't be any sound when changing amps or cabs...