They should hitch PRS

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
I may be in minority on this one, but I think their sound was better before, when they were not using PRS guitars. For some reason, those guitars sound pretty limited to me. I just am tired of that same old whining sound.

hitch PRS?

Ok, I know what you wanted to say, but I completely disagree.

Can you specify why do you think they are limited? Which guitar do you think is more versatile?

i strongly disagree PRS is the opeth sound that "whining" sound is the opeth sound so id maybe consider getting use to it if your going to be a fan

not a big fan of p.r.s. myself, funny because theyre made 5 minutes from my house...that being said, i'd hardly call them limited,in fact,a good friend of mine,from a prominent death-metal act, recently purchased one,jerked out the stock pickups and installed a set of emgs(81 & 85) and the guitar absolutely stomps!

:headbang:

I like the Still Life guitar sound that came mostly from a 70s Les Paul Custom and a also 70s SG. But otherwise Opeth has a great guitar tone all in all. I liked the slight dirtyness on Watershed and all in all PRS guitars are some of the best out there. I couldn't possibly hope for some similar tones that dominated - and to some extent, spoiled - the atmosphere on Orchid and Morningrise.

For me Opeth and PRS are a perfect match. The look and sound of those guitars perfectly match Opeth's music.

A nice custom private stock with some Opeth insignia would be a nice adition to the live act...

Åndrija;8191051 said:
hitch PRS?

Ok, I know what you wanted to say, but I completely disagree.

Can you specify why do you think they are limited? Which guitar do you think is more versatile?

Maybe not limited, but I don't like their sound as much as Les Paul and SG one. PRS has a more boring sound IMO. But if they are good enough for Mike and Freddy, then ok...

I'd be more inclined to think that a majority of their tone comes from the pedalboard they're using (GT-8, or maybe it's the GT-10 now?) as opposed to the guitar that they're using. On digital modelers like the GT-8/GT-10 you could use a guitar made out of plywood and the tone would only differ so much from a guitar like a PRS. Not to mention the amps that they're using too.

not a big fan of p.r.s. myself, funny because theyre made 5 minutes from my house...that being said, i'd hardly call them limited,in fact,a good friend of mine,from a prominent death-metal act, recently purchased one,jerked out the stock pickups and installed a set of emgs(81 & 85) and the guitar absolutely stomps!

:headbang:

That's a great way to ruin an amazing instrument.

By the way, did you hear this: Steven Wilson made a video about how he tries in various ways to destroy an iPod! He says that MP3 is "shit" and that people have no idea what a real sound is like, those that listen to the MP3's. I agree 100%. Thats why I never wanted an iPod.

I like Les Pauls more, so I think they should go with them too.. (not that they are going to listen to me :p)

By the way, did you hear this: Steven Wilson made a video about how he tries in various ways to destroy an iPod! He says that MP3 is "shit" and that people have no idea what a real sound is like, those that listen to the MP3's. I agree 100%. Thats why I never wanted an iPod.

Well, I can understand if people use an iPod for mobility, but what I absolutely HATE and cannt understand are those "supposedly" hi-fi docking stations that transform an iPod into a home-system. I mean, what's hi-fi about great speakers and all, if you play crappy encoded mp3s through them?

This said, I wouldn't mind owning a PRS. They might not look very "Metal" but they got great tone. They're sort of "Paulacasters" meaning they get the best of both worlds from Strats and Les Pauls. As far as I'm concerned, I love their sustain and singing tone. I'm glad Opeth uses them...

Well, I can understand if people use an iPod for mobility, but what I absolutely HATE and cannt understand are those "supposedly" hi-fi docking stations that transform an iPod into a home-system. I mean, what's hi-fi about great speakers and all, if you play crappy encoded mp3s through them?

This said, I wouldn't mind owning a PRS. They might not look very "Metal" but they got great tone. They're sort of "Paulacasters" meaning they get the best of both worlds from Strats and Les Pauls. As far as I'm concerned, I love their sustain and singing tone. I'm glad Opeth uses them...

I agree with your first point. And I never understood why Opeth never uses Fender Strat. Have they ever used a Telecaster at least?