thinking of moving back

zakky

( . Y . )
Mar 24, 2007
GREECE
hey guys need your opinions.....im thinking of moving back to the states i grewup there, im 13 years in greece now, hows life there is it really expensive to rent i know it depends on where you live i just want to get an idea. since im into music retail here in greece i guess im going to be doing the same thing there is it possible to have an averge job there and pay the rent or is really hard to make a living? dont get me wrong greece is great but the jobs suck you need 2 jobs to make it anyway just want your thoughts on it....thanks

Well dude as you know the US is so huge and the cost of living differs greatly by location. My brother lives in Silcon valley where a decent house costs at least 800 to 900 grand. I live in lexington kentucky and just bought a house for 105 thousand.

Education level makes a huge diference in income level. I have a degree in mechanical engineering so my life is very pleasant. Some one with a high school diploma can make a good living, but it is significantly more difficult. And illegal mexicans get worked to death for next to nothing.

That being said the US is still a great place live (and soon no more Bush).

More important is the job opportunity issue.

How skilled are you, and how well can you back up your claims? How's your education? How easy would it be to find a job in any area?

I'm renting for $300 a month in a nice house, but I'm a fifteen minute drive away from work and school and that gets a bit annoying at the pump. If I were to live near work or school I'd be paying about $450-500 for that. Finding the current home was a miracle, and it's still pricey to go anywhere.

Our economy is just too fucked right now for a simple answer. Wish I could say more, but honestly chances are that somewhere else in Europe would be a better bet. I'm not even sure how long I can stick around the States myself.

Jeff

haha 15 minutes away ha ha
no comment.
if you lived 1 hour and half away should you shoot yourself in the balls ? (as we say over here)
come on, you're a bunch of minutes away ;)

cheers

Hahaha, +1... I've got an hour commute, which I've gotten used to even though it does hurt the wallet. What I have not gotten used to is starting said commute at 6 AM. :yuk:

Can't say I'd move back to the States at the moment given the current economic climate. I'm potentially looking to move again in the next twelve months, possibly back to Australia or the UK (again), but the US is definitely off the list even though I enjoyed my time there too.

I also wouldn't move anywhere in Europe without a guaranteed job at the moment. Normally stable markets like the UK, France and Germany find most companies are cutting jobs rather than expanding. I work in IT and had been self-employed for 12 years and just took a permanent gig with a former client as the contracting market is taking a massive nosedive and I prefer not to starve.

Hahaha, +1... I've got an hour commute, which I've gotten used to even though it does hurt the wallet. What I have not gotten used to is starting said commute at 6 AM. :yuk:

Exactly!
I've to commute to Milan evry fucking day, getting sick of this, but you know if I want to work in IT I have to travel lol
The bad thing is by night I'm away from milan just 15 mins !!!! loooooool
In teh morning there's a hell of a traffic going to the city that is so fuckin near