Thinking about moving to Seattle ... Got some questions....

• Thread starter Guru - Too lazy to log in
  • Start date
G

Guru - Too lazy to log in

Hows the Tech industry there. I see alot of jobs in the IT field but whats the rates of pay like compared to the costs of living?

Whats cost of living like?

How is the housing market?

How is the metal scene? (ya i know nevermore and QR are there .. but im talking local bands and scene)

What are some of the areas to avoid for sure?

Of those of you still in school whats it like? are there a lack of teachers? or are the classrooms not as over crowded as everywhere else in america?

Thanks

When you say "Seattle", do you mean the actual city or the Seattle Metropolitan area? See, the Seattle metro area is actually a huge collection of cities that kinda slur into one another. The housing and job markets kinda vary from area to area. I'm in homebuilding and I can tell you that the same model home can sell for just over a million in Kirkland, but around $500K in Lacey, just for an example. Also, the traffic is glitter-helmet-special; in Seattle, every day is offcial "drive with your pants around your ankles" day, particularly Ballard, but that's a whole other post.

What I've found living here is that my job skills have me working for a company that's located in Bellevue 9 times out of 10, but what I make will never allow me to live in Bellevue, nor, for that matter would I want to -- I'd become a spoiled bitch-slaughtering serial killer within a year, I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure that's where the traffic bits come in, too.

The kind of lifestyle you want is also very relevent. If you really want to live in an apartment in the city and not have to drive, you can totally do that, but it's a committment and the rents will be high, and your social options will be limited, since most of us just put on our glitter helmets and get behind the wheel.

Metal scene? Well, it's better than some areas and not as good as others. I certainly find all that I want to keep me happy, but not everyone feels the same way.

You kinda have to narrow down what you want a bit, and go from there, IMO.

When you say "Seattle", do you mean the actual city or the Seattle Metropolitan area? See, the Seattle metro area is actually a huge collection of cities that kinda slur into one another. The housing and job markets kinda vary from area to area. I'm in homebuilding and I can tell you that the same model home can sell for just over a million in Kirkland, but around $500K in Lacey, just for an example. Also, the traffic is glitter-helmet-special; in Seattle, every day is offcial "drive with your pants around your ankles" day, particularly Ballard, but that's a whole other post.

What I've found living here is that my job skills have me working for a company that's located in Bellevue 9 times out of 10, but what I make will never allow me to live in Bellevue, nor, for that matter would I want to -- I'd become a spoiled bitch-slaughtering serial killer within a year, I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure that's where the traffic bits come in, too.

The kind of lifestyle you want is also very relevent. If you really want to live in an apartment in the city and not have to drive, you can totally do that, but it's a committment and the rents will be high, and your social options will be limited, since most of us just put on our glitter helmets and get behind the wheel.

Metal scene? Well, it's better than some areas and not as good as others. I certainly find all that I want to keep me happy, but not everyone feels the same way.

You kinda have to narrow down what you want a bit, and go from there, IMO.

"Glitter"? :err: ...Can you show us that "drive with your pants around your ankles" part? I'm having trouble getting a good image of this.:rolleyes:

--
Yes! spoiled bitches are plentiful here on the eastside(Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond). Much easier getting tail in Seattle and RENTON :lol:

Schools are pretty open since the workforce is good. Funny; people drop school for overtime.

Housing market: Sellers market
Define "Tech"...medical/aero/communication/software. I don't consider IT to
fall in Tech stuff.

Metal?...you see how often HM plays here, eh? :Smug:
*Need more singers and drummers!

Cost of living: Like Carrie says. Depends on where, but it always goes up.

Summation: F'd taxes! F'd up local government! Lovely geography F's up getting anywhere.

ok lets narrow the Tech thing down 1st.

Networking, Cicso / Ms Windows / Unix

As for the metal, Thrash baby old school thrash all the way.

As for where someplace with a decent cost of living / income ratio
(ive seen 3BR apartments for like 900 and thats pretty damn good if ya ask me)

As for the driving thing i dont mind it, Actually living outside the city would be good, but i wouldnt mind eithre way.

Im in the desert now and really need some mother fucking rain !!!!

If you want rain, there are other places to go where you'll get more of it than Seattle. But we have Microsoft.

Rueben holy shit... I live about 3 blocks west of Lake City. Hell, my neighborhood might technically be Lake City.

so i'm gonna drop my 2 cents in this thread.
I've been living in seattle for about 2 or 3 years now. To me this is the nicest city i've seen in the US, but i didn't go to that many US cities so ignore that statement (I've been to LA, Las Vegas, Tacoma Wa and Portland, Or and around seattle). Since people mentioned Lake City, i go to school there, more exactly to NHHS for those who know the area. However I live in Wallingford and i really like it.

Since you asked about education, Jason, I will write a little about my high school experience here (which is ongoing).
The school system is pretty good, not that overcrowded and some great teachers at nathan hale here. Classes vary in size from25 students to 35 students per class worse case scenario. Most of them are around 28ish. The school i'm going to is not that big, i think a bit over a thousand students. There are bigger high schools like Roosevelt, Ballard, and Garfield, but i try to stay away from those because of the social bullshit there and the whole popularity contest. There are some private schools around too, but from what I've heard those are for rich bastards, and the people I know who go there vary from really nice (not many though) to extremely cocky rich faggots.

I can't really talk about the traffic cause I don't drive but my mom has no problems going around by car. If you know when to avoid the shit driving parts and times, like when there is a seahawks game at home or a mariners game or a car crash on i5 or a main street.

The metal scene seems decent. There are some good bands like Weapon WIthin and Only Human. Pretty good stuff. However for things for bands my age are really bad. At least at my school there are only 4 metalheads and I'm the kvltest one and you know how kvlt I am. 2 of them are the kind of retards who think trivium is the best band in the world and think that disposable heroes is on justice and harvester of sorrow is on mop and never heard of anyother band but the new shit like trivium, a7x, and that gay shit and do not go to shows and all that. But that is just my school.

BTW, it really doesn't rain that much people make it, but it rains a fair amount and I like it, it keeps things cool. I love seattle weather, except on days like today

There are nice areas in every city. For example, I have a Tacoma address but I'm in Brown's Point, which is Northeast Tacoma aka yuppyville of Tacoma, alike how Bellevue and Issaquah are the yuppyvilles of Seattle. I can walk like, 5 minutes down the road and be in the Federal Way Twin Lakes area.

I have been to some other cities like Portland, L.A., Miami and Chicago. I fucking hate L.A. but, it has it's nice areas.

I've lived in WA state for most of my like and have lived in Seattle for over half of my life (I am 24). I have been places and have lived in other states. I have always came back; Seattle is the best city in the country, in my opinion. People aren't assholes like they are on the east coast and midwest. :lol:

I'm at 145th and 15th. North and a bit west. Probably like 3 miles from you haha. You should try a sammich at Tubs Gourmet Subs on LCW and Northgate. It's right next to Luciano's Pizza (which also kicks ass).

Tubs has the best French Dip I've ever laid my tongue upon!

So ... what im starting to get from all this is its not all Starbucks and Grunge ... lol J/K

Anyway im seriously looking into this. If you guys could reccomend some nice areas with 2 or 3 br apartments running between 900 - 1300 it would be greatly appreciated.

Im looking for a nice area but not yuppiville, Middle class areas tend to be where i feel most at home. Hency why i hate fucking vegas its all slums and yuppies and nothing in between

I'm at 145th and 15th. North and a bit west. Probably like 3 miles from you haha. You should try a sammich at Tubs Gourmet Subs on LCW and Northgate. It's right next to Luciano's Pizza (which also kicks ass).

Tubs has the best French Dip I've ever laid my tongue upon!
QFT
Tubs sandwiches for the fucking win. easily the most amazing subs ever imho

So ... what im starting to get from all this is its not all Starbucks and Grunge ... lol J/K

Anyway im seriously looking into this. If you guys could reccomend some nice areas with 2 or 3 br apartments running between 900 - 1300 it would be greatly appreciated.

Im looking for a nice area but not yuppiville, Middle class areas tend to be where i feel most at home. Hency why i hate fucking vegas its all slums and yuppies and nothing in between

It all depends where in Seattle you want to live. Seattle isn't just Seattle, it's a very large area. Anywhere from Edmonds to Tacoma could be considered Seattle, which is why we have Sea-Tac in the middle. The cost of living varies and Seattle itself is far more expensive than a middle class apartment in Federal Way or Kent.

I simply suggest going to apartments.com and checking out various areas around here. Check out Seattle and the surrounding area, South King County, Pierce County etc. If you're looking for something away from people but still nearby, check out areas like Enumclaw (yes, the famous horsefucking town) or Bonney Lake/Buckley for homes. Enumclaw has one or two good apartment complexes where Bonney Lake (Lake Tapps and Sky Island are ideal) are more for houses.

If you have any questions about specific areas, feel free to ask any of us native Seattlites. Although, my knowledge isn't so much Seattle itself; I'm more familiar with the southern Seattle area (Kent, Auburn, Puyallup, Federal Way, Bonney Lake/Buckley/Enumclaw etc.).

Good luck!

rofl, i am literally right next to Tub's. I walked over there yesterday (about 50 yards) and had a BBQ, fucking awesome. I'll try the French Dip next.

You guys know Beth's on Aurora, yeah?

Grease delight!
I lived next to Green Lake for years...ate at Beth's once. Big servings, right?

Hey Reuben, Eric and I are going to come visit you on the 3rd before the concert. :p

OK cool but if i move there ... will you be my friend :p

rofl, i am literally right next to Tub's. I walked over there yesterday (about 50 yards) and had a BBQ, fucking awesome. I'll try the French Dip next.

You guys know Beth's on Aurora, yeah?
Ahh yeah, I go to Beth's quite a bit. Well, actually Duck Island, the bar next door... but you can order food from Beth's and they'll bring it to you in the bar.

Beth's has a 12 egg omelette. I'll never accomplish that feat.