This board is going to die soon... no 2 ways about it

i don't see the point of constantly bitching about the crap opinions and personalities of other people - without the difference between people life would be even more fucking pathetic and boring than it already is

you don't have to like everything everyone else ever says

a message board is a place for people to post thier own opinions and ideas and also perhaps gain some enlightenment by reading others which may or may not agree with thier own:L like it or dislike it

having said that, the irony is not lost on me that i am bitching about your crap opinions ;)

Originally posted by Mark

You're on yer way to a smiting, matey

I can't quite rightly remember the last time we had a good smiting around these parts.... sounds like fun!:D

To Hearse: a champion of ideas :)

To Misanthrope: I don't mean to, and had no intention of speaking like I wanted to make this an elitist forum. Read what I've said - I totally agree with your freedom here, or anywhere on the internet for that matter. You have a lot of good things to say - just you sometimes get it lost in your anger. If you can see that this place is a little different then other boards, then all I was saying was for you to use your own judgement on how to post here. If you don't see it - you and anyone else has a right to post anything they want.

To Crumbling Mirth: thanks - it sounds like you do understand what I'm TRYING to say

The discussions we've had of late prove to me that we humans as a whole really suck at communicating. Yeah, I know it's hard for some to type ideas, but you know what I mean. There is a lot of time spent here taking things out of context, picking arguements when none are necessary, or generally just bringing a crappy attitude to this board.

I don't care how old you are - what is so hard about respecting something, about having the ability to open your eyes just wide enough to see. This board is, and should be, a vacuum. Almost all who post here (including the ones who let angst get the better of them) have a lot to say, want to share ideas, and generally do come here as an escape. Why isn't that clear? You all surf the net - you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about (the other "fuck-you " boards), yet some choose to challenge those who want something different here. It has nothing to do with me being here since May, or the people who joined yesterday. It's just a simple place to sit in front of your computer, take valuable time out of your day, and look for something in return. For the most part, that happens here. We all feel the other day was crazy. And there have been those "threads" which challenge the integrity of this board. All some of us are ASKING (not telling) is at least while your here, make this place different.

Maybe I'm one of the few who sees this, and I'm just speaking out of my ass. Well, I'll take the risk of looking like an ass to others, because I really believe I'm on track here, and by the posts of others, they see it too.

Requiem... again... I don't know what you have against me... but I did nothing to you... also... you are more of a newbie than me thank you very much... and if you look at everything there's about all of 2 people on this board who don't like me... if you look close (I understand it's hard for you to look at the REAL facts) I have a shit load of friends on the board... I really don't know what your deal is... but from your bantering, it's obvious that YOU are the immature baby here... I let it go to rest long ago and you even had the last word!

Keep the personal stuff elsewhere please. Thank you very much.

The Chat and Off-Topic sub-forum ideas are great, with a forum as big as this, it's vital.

Question for potential moderators or Mark : what sort of posts will be considered "On-Topic" ? Only Opeth discussions ? Music discussions ? Religion/politics discussions ? Polls/opinion exchanges ? Because if "On-Topic" would be limited only to Opeth topics, the Off-Topic forum would overwhelm it and the result would be reduced to nought.

I suggest to implement a Chat in form of a Shout-Box within the forum.

D Mullholand

My thinking is off-topic means any non-music related discussion - but then, the final definition will always be up to the people who actively use the board ;)

Originally posted by metalmancpa
I was NEVER talking about censoring.

I'll try again to explain myself, because I'm obviously I'm not doing a very good job. My points have nothing to do about ANY individual - more of a "feeling" here. Most people seem to notice that the discussions are a little deeper (and more intellectual as some also say) than other boards on the net. That being said, what purpose is there to come here and try to take it down. There are some who do try - who think it's their right to do what they please - posting with the "fuck you" attitude. And if you've read what I've said before - I agree, they're right - it's a free world.

But I again ask - why? It's the childish holier-than-thou attitude that makes most internet sights pure garbage. So why not educate the "newbies" into at least trying to explain what we have here. Call it moderation - but no one is censoring anybody - just asking people to use some judgement.
i don't think the problem lies with "newbies", just because they are new to this particular forum doesnt mean they cant grasp the concepts and attitudes behind it, most opeth fans are intelligent, thoughtful people, that never post with a "fuck you" attitude as you call it, i havent seen many "newbies" posting with such an attitude, if anyone posts with such an attitude its usually the longer standing members, and if any pointless threads are posted its usually from longer standing members too, bar the occasional "who is melinda" type post which i don't think anyone really minds, its easy to see a decline in substantial threads and use new members as scapegoats, but i think its totally unfounded, just because most topics of debate have been exhausted doesnt mean anyone's to blame...i think the forum is fine the way it is, although the suggestion to have separate music discussion and chat forums is a good idea in my opinion as music threads tend to drop off the first pages pretty quickly due to off topic chat threads, other than that though i think "educating newbies" through moderation is a terrible and unworkable idea...

something to think about: will one 'off-topic' board be enough?
ok so the main board i'd suggest would have music/opeth talk on it (including all the "has anyone heard of this band?" threads). But then the way i see it there needs to be two more boards, one for chit chat (ie "what colour are your eyes?" or "what ar you doing at the moment" and similar) and one for discussions (thats the best word i can see for it ---- topics that are to be discussed). The reason i suggest this separation is because that is where most personallities seem to differ, everybody likes the music related threads (thats why they are here in the first place), but some like to have fun and make friends and just chat, others like to discuss important issues or theorise on stuff or whatever. Its this difference that has caused the most arguments from what i can see. Obviously there will be subjects that can be viewed as either chat or discussion, and maybe somebody could think of a better way to do it, but thats my suggestion anyway.

what do you people think?

Someone's probably already said this. I haven't really read through the whole thread.

I don't think the off-topic thread should be moved to a completely different forum because the people at the Opeth board sometimes want to discuss off-topic things with the other Opeth-people (Opethians?). If we had to post off-topic things in a general forum then we'd have to go through all the other people first. This is like a little community where everyone knows everyone (well, sort of :rolleyes: ) If our topics were in a general place then "outsiders" would be all up in the business.

Am I making any sense? Probably not, but I tried. It's entirely possible that this has already been addressed. Maybe I should read the whole thread. :confused:

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
something to think about: will one 'off-topic' board be enough?
ok so the main board i'd suggest would have music/opeth talk on it (including all the "has anyone heard of this band?" threads). But then the way i see it there needs to be two more boards, one for chit chat (ie "what colour are your eyes?" or "what ar you doing at the moment" and similar) and one for discussions (thats the best word i can see for it ---- topics that are to be discussed). The reason i suggest this separation is because that is where most personallities seem to differ, everybody likes the music related threads (thats why they are here in the first place), but some like to have fun and make friends and just chat, others like to discuss important issues or theorise on stuff or whatever. Its this difference that has caused the most arguments from what i can see. Obviously there will be subjects that can be viewed as either chat or discussion, and maybe somebody could think of a better way to do it, but thats my suggestion anyway.

what do you people think?
I second this.

Originally posted by Jayde
Someone's probably already said this. I haven't really read through the whole thread.

I don't think the off-topic thread should be moved to a completely different forum because the people at the Opeth board sometimes want to discuss off-topic things with the other Opeth-people (Opethians?). If we had to post off-topic things in a general forum then we'd have to go through all the other people first. This is like a little community where everyone knows everyone (well, sort of :rolleyes: ) If our topics were in a general place then "outsiders" would be all up in the business.

Am I making any sense? Probably not, but I tried. It's entirely possible that this has already been addressed. Maybe I should read the whole thread. :confused:

You are making sense, Jayde.