This is blasphemy I know but...

Sorry, but I think most of you guys are mostly way-off with your estimation.

1) The hiphop beat market is overflooded with bedroom beat producers. Everyone and their mom is selling Fruity beats for $20 per track or less (free placement).

2) Notuern's beat is a very good example of something that isn't anywhere near what current hiphop usually demands. Right now this is either Dirty South-style 808s and claps, very synth-driven hooks or some swedish sounding r&b sprinkles in there (Stargate-style). Add to that the more rare acoustic styles of The Roots or D'Angelo and some Carribean/Dancehall influences and that is what's currently sellable. Most metal people don't have the slightest clue about the current state of affairs and therefore fail to produce the styles that are in demand. It's just like some funk guitar player putting on the overdrive on his Fender Twin and trying to play metal because "it sounds so heavy". Most of us would ROFL ... :)

3) Fruity Loops is as good as any other program. It doesn't really matter what you use. That's like giving Dimebag a 5150, a Recto, a Bogner and a Soldano. In the end he'll still sound like Dimebag ...

HAhahahaha, yeah, I gotta +1 smy on this; Notuern, your beat is awesome, and way cooler IMO than damn near anything today - but it's also laughably out of date (Christ Kryspies captured the image perfectly :lol: )

Sorry, but I think most of you guys are mostly way-off with your estimation.

1) The hiphop beat market is overflooded with bedroom beat producers. Everyone and their mom is selling Fruity beats for $20 per track or less (free placement).

2) Notuern's beat is a very good example of something that isn't anywhere near what current hiphop usually demands. Right now this is either Dirty South-style 808s and claps, very synth-driven hooks or some swedish sounding r&b sprinkles in there (Stargate-style). Add to that the more rare acoustic styles of The Roots or D'Angelo and some Carribean/Dancehall influences and that is what's currently sellable. Most metal people don't have the slightest clue about the current state of affairs and therefore fail to produce the styles that are in demand. It's just like some funk guitar player putting on the overdrive on his Fender Twin and trying to play metal because "it sounds so heavy". Most of us would ROFL ... :)

3) Fruity Loops is as good as any other program. It doesn't really matter what you use. That's like giving Dimebag a 5150, a Recto, a Bogner and a Soldano. In the end he'll still sound like Dimebag ...

You guys are getting shit twisted on me here. I'm not looking to do anything mainstream; I listen to rap you guys probably haven't heard of and I'm not a basement producer.

All I really wanted to know was HOW to go about making beats and what most people on here have success with if any. I'm not really interested in what's in DEMAND I just wanna know how to make the shit that me and my cronies enjoy and hopefully make some music we enjoy.
BUT I appreciate the info either way. When you say " any other program" that's the shit I wanna know. What are the programs?
Anyways proceed.:headbang:

I just wanna know how to make the shit that me and my cronies enjoy and hopefully make some music we enjoy.
BUT I appreciate the info either way. When you say " any other program" that's the shit I wanna know. What are the programs?
Anyways proceed.:headbang:

Cubase/Nuendo, Logic, ProTools, Reason, Fruityloops, Reaper.

Basically the same software you'd use to make metal.

i made techno/rap music on fruity loops years ago before i learned guitar and got into metal, basically cause it was my only musical outlet. it's a great program, i've heard very professional sounding stuff and very amateur sounding stuff come from fruity loops. i currently use reason for any synths/samples/beats, but i prefer fruity loops, much easier to sequence stuff imo.

image026.jpg

image096.jpg

image032.jpg

HAhahahaha, yeah, I gotta +1 smy on this; Notuern, your beat is awesome, and way cooler IMO than damn near anything today - but it's also laughably out of date (Christ Kryspies captured the image perfectly :lol: )

Thank you! I take that as a compliment! ;)

Hiphop/rap in those days actually had a musical quality too it, unlike today.

Damn, I remeber when Timbaland stole an entire chiptune, and claimed that this was the same as the sampled beats of the early hiphop(Guess he didnt know that they only used small portions that where sliced up and rearranged.).

Edit: Oh, did I mention that I own all Public Enemy records? ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I take that as a compliment! ;)

Hiphop/rap in those days actually had a musical quality too it, unlike today.

Damn, I remeber when Timbaland stole an entire chiptune, and claimed that this was the same as the sampled beats of the early hiphop(Guess he didnt know that they only used small portions that where sliced up and rearranged.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KX7SkDe4Q

Edit: Oh, did I mention that I own all Public Enemy records? ;D

Oh yeah! Classic. The Finnish guy who made the original didn't get a dime.

There are definitely some interesting and complex hip hop groups out there. The guy that we record with is one half of the group Dalek, which is signed to Mike Patton's label. This guy, Oktopus, creates complex polyrhythmic beats, dense layers of soundscape, and is also capable of creating some very noisy industrial style beats and backing tracks. I've seen him layer 100+ tracks with rhythms that only resolve after 18 or 19 beats. Definitely out of the mainstream but he's also worked with The Roots and done remixes for bands like Radiohead. Give a listen to 'Absence' or 'Abandoned Language' and I think you guys might like them.

Oktopus grew up in the New York Hardcore scene and brings an outsiders perspective to hip hop. The strange thing is that for a guy that works so deeply with creating music completely in the box, his recording technique for recording traditional bands (he's worked with Isis and Billy Gould) is very organic and natural sounding, much like the COC 'Blind' recording that OzNimbus mentioned in his drum article.

Im going to see Black Sheep and Nice n Smooth tonight, and Method Man and Redman tomorrow night...

seriously.

I saw Snoop awhile back, and Ice Cube will be here in a few weeks. Fuck yeah

i make all my money off rap music mostly full production work from beginning to end

no money in beats unless your getting good placements with real artists