This RULES, but they say it BLOWS?!

Dark Tranquillity - Haven

Their best since The Gallery, and put the band back on track from their Depeche Mode gone death metal mishap, by penning a great collection of songs.

Couldn't disagree more - aside from "The Wonders at your Feet" I find absolutely nothing memorable about this album. I'd actually substitute Damage Done and make the exact same analysis.

Jason

Add me to the ranks of those who unabashedly love the Unicorn albums and are eager to hear Second Sky. Dan Swanö can do little to no wrong in my book...

As for Last Fair Deal Gone Down, it's far and away my favorite Katatonia album. I don't listen to them all the time, but rather in periodic stretches. When I start rotating Katatonia albums (regardless of anything else going on in life, not because of it), it goes on for a while.

Disillusion - Gloria

Best metal record released in the last couple years, though I seem to be the only one who noticed.

Neil

Ugh... I deemed that one of the worst albums of the year.

I like really gay progressive rock/hard rock stuff that most people tend to give me shit about... such as newer Green Carnation, Genesis, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree... etc.

Fuck you all, this shit rules.

What are you guys talking about..most of the things named in the thread have at least some decent number of followers.... if not being widely praised. I tried to find some bands/albums that are really on topic, but i couldnt, i am a trend victim.
By the way the people who give you shit about Spock's Beard are absolutely right.

Couldn't disagree more - aside from "The Wonders at your Feet" I find absolutely nothing memorable about this album. I'd actually substitute Damage Done and make the exact same analysis.

Jason

Whoa, I had no idea there were people out there who thought that way. Wonders at your Feet is my least favorite from Haven, DD my least favorite album.

:lol: HOLY SHIT!!! I didn't think anyone else even knew of Unicorn!! I love Emotional Wasteland!! True story...an old friend of mine is getting married in June and they have asked us all to give them a song for a cd that will be handed out at said wedding. I nearly sent 'At The End of The Bridge'.

I think a large part of my infatuation for this cd was the fact that it was given to me by Dan Swano himself (through Kimberly Goss). I used to worship Mr. Swano like a god. I still think he's a freakin metal genious.

Great post, I also went through a period of listening to virtually nothing but Swano-related projects about five years ago, and still enjoy much of it, especially The Closing Chronicles and Moontower, and consider At The End of the Bridge one of the best songs he ever wrote.
And LFDGD was my first Katatonia purchase, so I won't hear anything against it, even though it may be the weakest post-BMD album (not while it's playing of course).