Thoughts on 6505+ 112 Combo?

They're really awesome for the price. The Sheffield speaker isn't bad either! Used to have a 5150 II, didn't get to crank the 6505+ too much when I tried it, but I was satisfied with it.

I have one. The amp doesn't have a preamp out, it's a simulated mic out which means it already has a cab simulator of sorts built into it. And frankly it's not that great sounding. And unfortunately you can't bypass it. The stock speaker was OK but not great. A couple months ago I bought a marshall 1960 BV cab and to me the amp sounds fantastic through that. I work two jobs so it's hard for me to find the time but finally the other day I got a few minutes to sit and try to get a decent recording with the thing. This is a completely sloppy and generic guitar riff that I made up on the spot to a click, then added in steven slate drums afterwards just to get a quick feel of how it might sound in a mix.

This is my 08 gibson les paul with stock pickups into an ibanez tube screamer, boss ns2 then into amp. The amp is on the lead channel with the gain and volume both around 2. The tube screamer had the drive at zero, and the tone and level both up around 9. I have an mxr eq in the loop but it wasn't on for this. It's recorded with a single sm57 off axis going straight into my echo gina soundcard. The only thing I did after recording was add a high and low pass on EQ. Oh and Izotope ozone is on the master track. There are two guitar tracks panned hard to each side.

Anyway, sloppy playing/mixing/etc. aside I think it's a pretty decent sound with lots of potential. It's really damn close to the sound I was trying to achieve. I can't wait to sit and record an entire proper project with it. But this little clip should give you an idea of what the amp is capable of. I enjoy playing through it, the sound standing in front of the cab is truly fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16441720/6505 test.mp3

I have one. The amp doesn't have a preamp out, it's a simulated mic out which means it already has a cab simulator of sorts built into it. And frankly it's not that great sounding. And unfortunately you can't bypass it. The stock speaker was OK but not great. A couple months ago I bought a marshall 1960 BV cab and to me the amp sounds fantastic through that. I work two jobs so it's hard for me to find the time but finally the other day I got a few minutes to sit and try to get a decent recording with the thing. This is a completely sloppy and generic guitar riff that I made up on the spot to a click, then added in steven slate drums afterwards just to get a quick feel of how it might sound in a mix.

This is my 08 gibson les paul with stock pickups into an ibanez tube screamer, boss ns2 then into amp. The amp is on the lead channel with the gain and volume both around 2. The tube screamer had the drive at zero, and the tone and level both up around 9. I have an mxr eq in the loop but it wasn't on for this. It's recorded with a single sm57 off axis going straight into my echo gina soundcard. The only thing I did after recording was add a high and low pass on EQ. Oh and Izotope ozone is on the master track. There are two guitar tracks panned hard to each side.

Anyway, sloppy playing/mixing/etc. aside I think it's a pretty decent sound with lots of potential. It's really damn close to the sound I was trying to achieve. I can't wait to sit and record an entire proper project with it. But this little clip should give you an idea of what the amp is capable of. I enjoy playing through it, the sound standing in front of the cab is truly fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

God damn! Great clip! Great sound man! I really think it's got the balls...
As for your comment about simulated cab output - I'm aware of that and I would probably never use it, but I was more interested in using the preamp stage by sending the signal out via FX Send, so this effectively bypasses that mic simulation... Afterwards would go for impulses. That's the plan until I would get a decent cab.

God damn! Great clip! Great sound man! I really think it's got the balls...
As for your comment about simulated cab output - I'm aware of that and I would probably never use it, but I was more interested in using the preamp stage by sending the signal out via FX Send, so this effectively bypasses that mic simulation... Afterwards would go for impulses. That's the plan until I would get a decent cab.

Oh yeah? I didn't know you could do that with the send. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Sounds different then the real 6505 due to inferiorly made Chinese parts.

Find a used 5150 would make for a better amp.

I'm interested in buying the 112 combo too, are you sure that a 6505 head will sound better than the combo ? (if both are used with the same cab)

Oh yeah? I didn't know you could do that with the send. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Yes you can, BUT: I'm not sure if you're already aware of this (sorry if you are) but YOU CAN NOT PLAY OR SEND ANYTHING UNLESS YOUR CAB IS CONNECTED OR YOU WILL FRY THE AMP!! You can also use dummy load (aka load box, aka power soak - which will imitate the power drainage of the cab but without producing any sound).

Does anyone know if the "Post Gain" knob is after or before power-stage circuit? I'm asking because I want to know if I will need additional power soak unit...

Sevchenko, if you read this, maybe you know the answer (if you turn the post gain all the way down and still have uninterrupted signal in your FX Send, then that's a bingo :))

I mic'd my combo as well after my first post, can check it out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heads up to those of us in Europe. Woodbrass.com have this amp for only £370! (434 euro's)

I am very tempted to grab this and convert it into a head.

Hey sounds great. What do you think is the 1x12 Combo sutible for using it on stage in a Rock Cover band?
Is it possible to get some good crunch AC/DC Style sound out of it, or some klassik modern Rock Sound like Bon Jovi and Pink, or is this amp only for Metal? How abou clean sounds an switchig it Live, perhaps from clean to crunch or from clean to lead form lead to crunch etc.... is it flexible?

Thank you

I like what you did on the clip also brought out the high's! I put a swamp thang in mine, rips pretty good. Much better.