Thrash!

Awww did I upset you by criticising some shit you like? Are you the resident tampax?

Hi welcome to ultimate metal.

Looking through the last few pages of this thread makes me realize I just don't have interest in pure thrash or crossover. Very few bands/albums. Black/thrash hybrids have always been my favorites, something about the mix of grit and energy of bands like Ketzer and Cruel Force is just a big sweet spot for me. Anyone know of anyone noteworthy recent (this year) black/thrash albums?

Hi welcome to ultimate metal.

Looking through the last few pages of this thread makes me realize I just don't have interest in pure thrash or crossover. Very few bands/albums. Black/thrash hybrids have always been my favorites, something about the mix of grit and energy of bands like Ketzer and Cruel Force is just a big sweet spot for me. Anyone know of anyone noteworthy recent (this year) black/thrash albums?

I'm pretty much the same Krow, there are definitely straight Thrash albums I love, but Black/Thrash is where it's at for me.

Fully blanking right now but the new Deathhammer record is killer, not really Black/Thrash but obviously violent as fuck.

Malevolent Creation are boring, Morbid Angel I don't like overall but do like a few albums.

Retribution is boring? What in the fucking fuck? I think everyone agrees that Morbid Angel has at least two stinker albums, but Altars of Madness is the fucking best example of death metal I could ever give anyone.

New Deathammer to me sounds like Slayer if they didn't suck after the 80's. Fantastic album.

Definitely agree with that, plus an ugly dose of early Kreator.

Retribution is boring? What in the fucking fuck? I think everyone agrees that Morbid Angel has at least two stinker albums, but Altars of Madness is the fucking best example of death metal I could ever give anyone.

To me, yeah.
The Morbid Angel albums I like are Altars of Madness, Abominations of Desolation and Covenant.

Edit: Forgot about this 2015 album of Norwegian Black/Thrash, good shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, I think after the whole retro thrash wave there is not that much pure thrash bands nowadays, bands are trying to do something new, i.e. death metal influences, some bands are quite close to early 90's melodic death, or prog influences. The thing is, there isn't any movement and everyone is on his own playground and doing something different so they barely get any recognition.

P.S. yes, there's still a lot of crossover, groove and vanilla stuff but not as much and they are usually shit and nobody listens to them.

The retro Thrash thing was hardly a wave, more like a puddle of piss, there have always been great straight Thrash Metal bands, before and after that lame popularity rise a few years ago.

All of these broad generalizations about subgenres of thrash are shit. Just enjoy the music and not limit yourself. There are good albums in every subgenre of thrash including new wave of thrash etc etc.

All of these broad generalizations about subgenres of thrash are shit. Just enjoy the music and not limit yourself. There are good albums in every subgenre of thrash including new wave of thrash etc etc.

We are enjoying the music, or at least I am, talking about subgenres doesn't make this any less true.
Also, disliking something that somebody else likes isn't limiting yourself.

Saying entire sub genres are shit is limiting yourself, and just plain false. It's based on preconceived bias and too small a sample size. A genre wouldn't exist if it was entirely shit.

There is new wave of thrash music that is honestly better than all but the top 10 old school thrash albums. If you like the genre of thrash then you should support the best of these bands, or else it's going to die. At least these new bands are giving a fucking amazing effort towards recreating the 80's thrash scene. We can't say the same for the big 4 anymore, except maybe anthrax.

Saying entire sub genres are shit is limiting yourself, and just plain false. It's based on preconceived bias and too small a sample size. A genre wouldn't exist if it was entirely shit.

There is new wave of thrash music that is honestly better than all but the top 10 old school thrash albums. If you like the genre of thrash then you should support the best of these bands, or else it's going to die. At least these new bands are giving a fucking amazing effort towards recreating the 80's thrash scene. We can't say the same for the big 4 anymore, except maybe anthrax.

That's a ridiculous assertion, my taste isn't the standard of a genre's quality, I think something isn't good, someone else disagrees, therefore the genre exists because we don't all agree.

Anyway, who said an entire subgenre was shit? Not me that's for sure.
I do support new music, where is this even coming from?

Also, I haven't given a fuck about the big 4 for years, they all made their last decent albums in the 80's in my opinion.

I'm just tired of the constant bullshit by a lot of "thrash fans": "new thrash sucks, old thrash roolz, you're only trve if you listen to ancient kreator dark angel slayer and sodom" and on and on. The new stuff is awesome and it's keeping the genre alive. I can think of no other current genre where the fan base is as stuck in the past.

Just saying, you just stated opinion as fact. "The new stuff is awesome and it's keeping the genre alive"

Just saying, you just stated opinion as fact. "The new stuff is awesome and it's keeping the genre alive"

Who gives a fuck? Everyone on this forum does that and probably including you. Do I need to write "in my opinion" every sentence to spell it out for you people? It's a given when talking about music that we're more likely than not saying personal opinions.

Who gives a fuck? Everyone on this forum does that and probably including you. Do I need to write "in my opinion" every sentence to spell it out for you people? It's a given when talking about music that we're more likely than not saying personal opinions.

No you don't, I'm just busting your balls dude. Haha