Three Part Guitar Tone Tester

Which clip do you like best: A, B, or C?

• CLIP A

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • CLIP B

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • CLIP C

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
Since 51 votes have been placed, the results are as follows:

This was a speaker swapping test in a 1x12 cabinet. Three different speakers were loaded into the cabinet. The ground was marked with tape around the perimeter of the speaker to ensure that the position of the cabinet in front of the microphone would not move; the microphone stand was also taped to the floor.

Speaker A: Celestion Vintage 30 (Chinese, store bought)
Speaker B: Celestion Vintage 30 (Mesa spec, from a Rectifier Cabinet)
Speaker C: Warehouse Guitar Speakers Retro 30 (Vintage 30 clone)

So, what does this say?

60% of you prefer the Chinese vintage 30 compared to the other two speakers, likely because of it's more vocal midrange, and less fizz overall. I agree that this speaker may have TOO much midrangem but it's more pleasant in voicing in my opinion.

Only 10% of you like the Mesa V30. I always did have slight issues with fizz with that speaker, and this test shows me the same. My opinion is that if this speaker did not have any fizz, it could really be awesome, and obviously has still been recorded well before by engineers over the world.

30% of you however chose the Warehouse Guitar Speakers Retro 30 as your favorite. This speaker's greatest issue to me is the relatively steep peak toward the top of the midrange that can be slightly irritating. It's similar in character to the Mesa V30, but with less fizz.

Don't bash the Chinese V30; it's a great speaker, or at least 60% of you think so. More tests are coming in the near future, as I have something big up my sleeve ;)

Would be great to hear a store bought V30 from Ipswich compared to these.

Were these speakers all the same impedance? Cause that does make a slight tonal difference.

Since 51 votes have been placed, the results are as follows:

This was a speaker swapping test in a 1x12 cabinet. Three different speakers were loaded into the cabinet. The ground was marked with tape around the perimeter of the speaker to ensure that the position of the cabinet in front of the microphone would not move; the microphone stand was also taped to the floor.

Speaker A: Celestion Vintage 30 (Chinese, store bought)
Speaker B: Celestion Vintage 30 (Mesa spec, from a Rectifier Cabinet)
Speaker C: Warehouse Guitar Speakers Retro 30 (Vintage 30 clone)

So, what does this say?

60% of you prefer the Chinese vintage 30 compared to the other two speakers, likely because of it's more vocal midrange, and less fizz overall. I agree that this speaker may have TOO much midrangem but it's more pleasant in voicing in my opinion.

Only 10% of you like the Mesa V30. I always did have slight issues with fizz with that speaker, and this test shows me the same. My opinion is that if this speaker did not have any fizz, it could really be awesome, and obviously has still been recorded well before by engineers over the world.

30% of you however chose the Warehouse Guitar Speakers Retro 30 as your favorite. This speaker's greatest issue to me is the relatively steep peak toward the top of the midrange that can be slightly irritating. It's similar in character to the Mesa V30, but with less fizz.

Don't bash the Chinese V30; it's a great speaker, or at least 60% of you think so. More tests are coming in the near future, as I have something big up my sleeve ;)

yeah but you should have put the riffs in context, not hating or anything.
i picked A but it might not be near as good in the mix, like i feel its easy to pick which tone sounds best, but not which ones best in the mix without hearing it in the mix.

I still agree A sounds best alone out of the mix.

Wolfe, absolutely, all 8 ohms.

No hating, dont worry. I didn't have time to do this in context. I will be doing in the mix tests next with perfectly played DI tracks in the same mix without post processing. I'll have time for that in a few weeks. I have an in the mix test, but the material is unreleased stuff. I'll see what I can do :)

I see a group of lemmings defending the all-loathed B in a few minutes :lol:

I voted for A. I thought that it might be the speakers that were swapped out, but I must say that I'm surprised that the differences are so huge when the three speakers are supposed to be similar. Looking forward to hearing the future tests!

Lol...you can bet you life on people starting to now try to justify their fav brands when the results get revealed.

yeah man i don't really have a favorite brand what so ever.
I just use what i think sounds good.
Thats not what i was trying to get at by saying that.
its just i would like to hear those riffs in a mix.

and then vote.
i still stand by A sounding the best.
but if it was in a mix im not sure which would sound best honestly.

I've got a Mesa C90, and I noticed that "B" definitely has a similar fizzy quality to my speaker. Sort of hollow and lacking that kick in the ears; not very rich at all. Maybe Mesa goes for that kind of vibe... :puke:

I was just about to buy a Mesa v30 for another 1x12! Good thing I heard this first!

it could also mean that the different speakers have different sweet spots. even though they are all made to the same specs, they could still respond differently