Three Part Guitar Tone Tester

Which clip do you like best: A, B, or C?

• CLIP A

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • CLIP B

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • CLIP C

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
yeah man i don't really have a favorite brand what so ever.
I just use what i think sounds good.
Thats not what i was trying to get at by saying that.
its just i would like to hear those riffs in a mix.

and then vote.
i still stand by A sounding the best.
but if it was in a mix im not sure which would sound best honestly.

We'll see how it goes but from previous clips ive heard it still kicks the ass off the rest in a mix.

it could also mean that the different speakers have different sweet spots. even though they are all made to the same specs, they could still respond differently

Do you really think that moving a microphone give or take a few centimeters is going to make THAT insane of a difference? Let's get real. The "different sweet spot" argument is just fucking silly :lol: All the speakers have the same size dustcap, the same size cone, and the same size voice coil; it is very likely they have very close to the same sweet spot. It's pretty clear which speaker is winning this shootout. I am very aware that moving a microphone a matter of centimeters can make a significant difference in the amount of high end content, and the fizz or lack there-of, but it is not going to change the entire character of the tone like changing a speaker will. I'm more than willing to prove that too by an a/b shootout of speaker micing positions, but I really have better things to do than that :p

Not so long ago I compared 2 v30s, a 16 ohm and 8ohm, both chinese, and found the difference even greater than this example.

8 ohm and 16 ohm speakers sound different. ALSO depending on the guitar amplifier in question, sometimes the entire negative feedback circuit is different for each transformer tap, depending on the ohm selection switch on the back of the amp. Little fun fact there for you. Thanks Mike Fortin! :saint:

Just tried my old favourite chinese V30 again because of this thread.

I must admit I never liked the V30 that came with my Mesa as much as this one (I extracted it from my Harley Benton to put it in my Mesa).

That being said, I have three other chinese V30 that sound like poop.