To Guitar players......Opeth related

I don't really agree with the acoustic suggestion. Sure, what you learn can later be applied to an electric.. but if you start with an electric, you learn the "right" insturment at once (he obviously wants to play an electric). The techniques are not exactly the same, the fretboards and string positions are not the same, and you use your fingers instead of a pick.. kinda different, IMO.

I have nothing against learning classical guitar, of course. But you should only do that if you really want to learn classical guitar.. not as a shortcut to getting better at electric, or something. Sure distortion covers up mistakes, but you should use clean settings when you practice.

I started with classical guitar like 11 years ago or so, and I got into electric maybe 6 years ago.. sure, I had some things for free.. but if I had started with electric right away, I would be much better at that :)

Oh.. and here are some reviews on that Tech21 Trademark 10:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Tech_21/Trademark_10-01.html

if that can't convince you, nothing can :D

Thanks alot for the link lakestream. You should win a merit badge when it comes to helpfulness. I took a look at the page and other than 2 people that said they got defective amps. Everyone raved about it. I'll see if they have it at sam ash. Is sam ash a reputable company? Or are they too big for their own good. Like some other companies that will remain nameless. Oh and lakestream, compared to a decent stereo. How loud is the amp db wise? Does it make the windows rattle? I hope so. I'm losing my hearing from blasting opeth all day. j.k

I think it'll be loud enough for you. It makes my walls sing.. but my windows are rather solid and don't shake for anything :D Oh, and I live in Sweden, and I've never heard of Sam ash before..

dB wise, not sure.. I guess the best way is to try one out! It's really loud if you want it to be, though

What would you guys suggest amp-wise to plug a Boss ME-50 through? I don't need something with effects of any kind... just a really really good tonal quality, and some balls to play decently loud.

I guess you could say im in the pricerange of $350 US, which is about $600 AUD.

It has 2 guitar outputs, L & R, L only for mono sound, and it also has a line out/phones jack. If u want to hear how it sounds lined out, you can hit the riff thread, it's what I used for all the recordings.

I was actually thinking more of Marshall amps, like the one I have currently, however of better quality, especially for use with a stomp/effects box... I really like the tonal qualities of most Marshall amps, and I think I want to stick to that kind of sound.

Thanks alot for the suggestion though.

EDIT: ahhh i see that amp was made for use with pre-amps and stompboxes and whatnot, but they claim it doesn't leave 'coloration' of its own.. which is a bit of a problem withthe ME-50 as it doesn't have amp modelling nor any sort of external flavour... it just emulates effects and distortion, but it doesn't add many tonal qualities to it.

Torenstain said:
I disagree with everyone here

The best thing to to if you wanna learn to play guitar is to buy a nice classical guitar (acoustic nylon strings), they are cheap, and they sounds just fine, also you don't need a amp. You can play all Opeth songs just fine on the acoustic, but you won't get distortion obvioulsy. Also you can then, after some time, figure wether you want to play guitar or no. If yes, you can comfortably buy a more expensive, electric guitar, with amps and everything. And you will still benefit from having an acoustic guitar.

i dont agree with the nylon strings due to that fact that moving from a classical to a standard electric guitar would be tough because of the huge difference in neck width. but, an acoustic guitar would be a good idea. i learned on a heavy gauge stringed acoustic guitar....then when i moved onto an electric....it was heaven. its kinda like training for basketball with ten pound shoes....then going to a game and putting on jordans. great way to learn.

Moonlapse said:
What would you guys suggest amp-wise to plug a Boss ME-50 through? I don't need something with effects of any kind... just a really really good tonal quality, and some balls to play decently loud.

I guess you could say im in the pricerange of $350 US, which is about $600 AUD.

you can always get a good peavey for that pricerange. there is nothing wrong with a peavy. those things have got some balls. i run through a marshall, but your not going to get a marshall that sreams unless you go pure tube...(from what i have experienced anyways)...fenders scream too...i know they are not "metal" but they have a really nice warm sound that gets really fucking loud. i guess the other question is...do you want a combo or a stack?

Unfortunately as you can see I'm not really in the pricerange of JCM 800 head + cabinet of any sort, so I suppose a combo would be what I'm looking for... I'd only need this amp for jamming at home, or jamming with the band... I seriously doubt I'd be lugging it to any gigs. But thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

If youre thinking about starting to play, please dont spend 500 dollars... you can get a good starter guitar, acoustic or electric for less than 300, dont hurt your bank account for no reason

If you like metallica, I suggest getting the tab book of black album.. it has lots of songs that are fun to play.. that's how I got started (on my acoustic that is, heh). Their older stuff is fun as well, but a bit faster.. so the black album is good place to start