Tom microphones blindtest (.mp3)

I kind of like #1. It sounds the most like my toms probably would in a mix. It's very present around the attack spectrum of the hit, so it'd need less boosting on EQ.

#2 is nice, it gives a different kind of color on the sound. Sounds a bit flatter that #1 though, and seems to focus around the hollow, air, sound of the tom.

#3 seems pretty good. It's like #1 but with more body and the attack seems a bit more natural.

#4 is too much of a jump in volume for me to analyze objectively.

#5 sounds like crap. Like a pencil condenser. All the body of the drum is gone.

I'd probably go with #3. Thanks for posting this here. I love these tests.

Moonlapse said:
I kind of like #1. It sounds the most like my toms probably would in a mix. It's very present around the attack spectrum of the hit, so it'd need less boosting on EQ.

#2 is nice, it gives a different kind of color on the sound. Sounds a bit flatter that #1 though, and seems to focus around the hollow, air, sound of the tom.

#3 seems pretty good. It's like #1 but with more body and the attack seems a bit more natural.

#4 is too much of a jump in volume for me to analyze objectively.

#5 sounds like crap. Like a pencil condenser. All the body of the drum is gone.

I'd probably go with #3. Thanks for posting this here. I love these tests.

Actually, number four is not louder at all...it just has moore bottom... try equing number four....take away some of the lower mid with a wide Q....i'm staring to like it....see what happens when you ad some top too...

yeah, same here, #1 sounds nicest and the most "usable".....my thoughts are pretty much the same as moonlapse. What was going on with the 4th? clipping? Theres something not right about that one.

Daniel\m/

1 - good attack, lot bottom. This wont be my choice, because of the bottom, but it depends of the music you record. Best response around 3k-6k.

2. again good attack and strong mids. Nice highs (for my taste). If i have to mix some power metal(last work) this is possibility.

3. here we have less response between 200 and 300 and i like this. Well... don't like the highs here. Still a good choice.

4. where is the second harmonic here? gone? no thanks. Bad highs. Don't like it.

5. well, not so bad as Moonlapse said. it actualy has good mids... but nothing more.

Good toms and mics at all. 2 and 3 are best in my ears, but 1 is competative too.
If I have some really good OHs I will use the third mic, but for now 2 is my choice.

:headbang:

After listening again, I'm starting to not like the highs on #3, but I think when it comes to an actual mix, you ARE going to be cranking up the attack like that anyway, just for the cut. It's not about the individual sound for me... I try to envision it in a mix more than anything.

It's still a toss-up between #1 and #3 for me. #2 has a nice color, but I don't see it cutting too well in a mix unless you boost a lot. #4 is probably giving us the most objective representation of how the drum sounded in the room, but that's not necessarily what's best in the mix. #5 still sounds like ass to me - All the qualities you don't want in a tom.

Wierd, the precense boost you all seem to like from #1 makes those toms sound really thin in the mix. That's why I initiated this test in the first place, cause I really hate that mic now.

#2 is a somewhat moore expensensive mic, with a deeper moore flat sound...I think this would sound "bigger" in a mix

#3 sounds a bit like #1 but alot moore controlled in the fz spectrums wich sounds better so my ears, so I like it better then #1.

#4 is a condensator mic, I actually think this one sounds the best once you cut away some of the "boomines" with an EQ. Moore alive and present...

#5 Just sounds stupid, but rocks on snare, though....

Di'd any of you try to run som eq on any of these samples to see how they react?

Yeah and usualy we have some toms sound in the OHs, which are low cuted, so we can cut the tom mics in the highs.
This is another point for 3.

But, blackcom, what kind of sound do you want/need for the music you record now?

#1 Sennheiser e604
#2 Sennehiser MD421
#3 Shure SM57
#4 Røde NT5
#5 Shure Beta56a.

I like a somewhat polished, scooped but fat tom with some click in it...Does anyone know what mics was used to the toms on Testaments The Gathering?

I can actually get a good price for those Shure Beta98's, btw... Anyone tried those?

blackcom said:
#1 Sennheiser e604
#2 Sennehiser MD421
#3 Shure SM57
#4 Røde NT5
#5 Shure Beta56a.

I like a somewhat polished, scooped but fat tom with some click in it...Does anyone know what mics was used to the toms on Testaments The Gathering?

So, may be it's best to choose 1..... or 3.

Good mics and toms at all, good luck!!!

Pretty interesting. Most of us generally seem to have preffered the mics usually used on snare. It's interesting to see how the MD421 actually sounds against those, since that's the only mic I've used on toms up until this point.

Moonlapse said:
Pretty interesting. Most of us generally seem to have preffered the mics usually used on snare. It's interesting to see how the MD421 actually sounds against those, since that's the only mic I've used on toms up until this point.

I guess we wont be doing that this year hey Ermin?