Tom microphones blindtest (.mp3)

I just used the e604s last night on the toms. I tried one on the snare it sounded awful.

I haven't had a chance to mix and tweak the tracks from last night but the e604s sounded very natural (to me).

Very interesting. I'd like to see some Audix D2/D4's tossed in there for comparison sometime too if anyone has any. I've heard a lot of people say they remind them a lot of 421's.

The 421's almost sound flatter than the e604 does...at least on this sound system. It's too bad you don't have some Audix D2's and ATM25's for comparison also. I seen a lot of people speak of how ATM25's have been used on toms on a lot of modern albums recently.

Nebulous said:
Is it just me, or does the 57 not pick the low end up as "nicely" as the e604?
fact.

It is normal for the 57 and I don't find it very useful on toms.

OzNimbus said:
Figures #3 is a 57..... I've read several articles about guys getting fantastic results miking up a kit with nothing but 57s.

Well... it is a little bit sucky on the kick! (because of the lack of low) and it's bad idea to have the same high response on the whole kit.

the audix D range do remind me alot of 421's, with a slighty flatter attack.
The beta 98's are ok, little lacking in lower mids and low end for me, the attack is kinda hard and clicky, same with the AT's. I'm talking about the smaller AT's by the way. Condensers....think thats the model....

Moonlapse said:
You know, what I'd really like to hear is a i5 to SM57 comparison on a snare.

i don't have any clips comparing the two, but when my band did our drum tracks we tried both those mics on the snare...the 57 had a nice clarity that we didn't get from the i5, but it was kinda thin sounding, and picked up this 'ping' sound that we just couldn't dial out with our eq (on our mixer, which is very limited)

the i5, same settings, same position...sounded a little thicker which was nice, and had more of a 'crack' sound that we were after, i was a tad on the muddy side tho

i could post a short drum clip with the i5 on the snare if you would like tho

Andy, I seem to remember that you prefered the Sennheiser e609 over the "usual" md421 for toms, how come? Ever tried the newer e906, btw?

Andy Sneap said:
the audix D range do remind me alot of 421's, with a slighty flatter attack.
The beta 98's are ok, little lacking in lower mids and low end for me, the attack is kinda hard and clicky, same with the AT's. I'm talking about the smaller AT's by the way. Condensers....think thats the model....

Andy, how would you rate the Audix D Series in comparison to the Sennheiser 609's that you've used before?

Hey, those of you with Audix experience, what's the way to go, D2 for rack toms and D4 for floor toms or D4 for both rack and floor toms?

Figures #3 is a 57..... I've read several articles about guys getting fantastic results miking up a kit with nothing but 57s.

master of puppets and ...and justice for all both had nothing but 57's on the snare and toms - and i believe that's for both the top and bottom mics

Hey, those of you with Audix experience, what's the way to go, D2 for rack toms and D4 for floor toms or D4 for both rack and floor toms?

i've always used the D2 on rack toms, D4 on the floor...but that's because i got the set with 2 D2's and a D4. i'm sure the D4 can be used on the rack toms, but keep in mind that it's also voiced to be deeper/lower sounding than the D2.

I can also highly recommend miccing the bottom of the toms.. we tried it once and it made such a big difference we've done it ever since!