Toms that go 'Doomp/Tump' not 'Toom'??

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
Haha, ok aside from the stupid way of describing the sound, I've been Eq'ing my Toms to hell and still can't nail the sound I want. I'm using DFH Superior and I think the sound I want is achieved in the tracking stage with Muting Rings (were these used on the Superior sessions?). Basically, a really fat, damped attack with very little sustain/transients.

Perfect example being pretty much any mid-late noughties metal record, as opposed to that really hollow 90's tom sound.

I'm actually listening to 'All Hope is Gone' and the toms kinda sound nice and damped. Saturnus absolutely nailed it on 'Veronika Decides to Die', check out 'Pretend'.

No luck with Transient Designers either, and the hollow sound is proving very elusive when searching with EQ.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/stagg_mf1621_aussendaempfer.htm

Haha, ok aside from the stupid way of describing the sound, I've been Eq'ing my Toms to hell and still can't nail the sound I want.

You are approaching it the wrong way, its the dynamics and volume-envelope that you should be adjusting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSR_envelope

edit: and slipknot drums are really pretty carved sounding in my opinion; Listen to Vermillion tomfill at 1.18-1.20: http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/Vermillion_drums.mp3

How do you adjust the ADSR of a sample? As in - what plugins do this? Is there anything straightforward and designed specifically for this rather than having to compress/expand/whatever?

cubase3_l.jpg

You're using Superior 1.0 correct? Use the envelope controls for the tom pads. They're built in to superior. I've done this with pretty decent results. There's only two controls, sustain and decay if I correctly recall. Just play with those on each tom pad to shorten the length of sustain. It will pretty much do what you're talking about. Instead of going "toooommmmmmm" they'll go "toomp", or even "tt" if you shorten too much, haha. It helps a lot on the kick too if you're going for more of a triggered sound and don't want to actually retrigger it.

I've also found the envelope controls useful for scenarios where you have a shitload of compression on something, like the kick for example, and you have a small bit of silence following a furious double bass pattern or something similar. Having all the tails of each kick sample playing on top of eachother through mondo compression can sound pretty hissy and noisy. Normally it's not a problem if it's in the middle of a song, but if it happens during a silent part (like the end of a song where everything ends abruptly besides maybe some cymbal decay) it can be very apparent and annoying. You can trim off just enough of the samples with the envelope controls to kill the hiss. It's a bit tricky to get it set just right, as you can easily lose the "naturalness" of the drum sound, but in my opinion it's better than having a wave of hiss appearing out of nowhere.

I use fade outs or whatever to control decay on most tracks when I start getting down n dirty, like start/stops in overhead tracks and toms etc.. It works well if you use the right fade shape/type or whatever. You can even use it to make sure the multiple guitar tracks all end around the same time to tighten up the song. very useful.