Too low reamp signal

feles

Sep 29, 2007
Hungary
Hey guys!

I need your knowlege. I'd be happy if you could help me.
My problem is that i've got a Presonus Inspire and an ART D.I box.
I want to reamp on my amp( a built tube amp by my friend, or on my Line6 Spider, both don't work.) The signal is soo low. It was only good when i boosted it with a distorsion pedal and the DAW master clipped around 15 dB. I think it's not normal.
I connected the DI backwards, that could not be a problem.
What could be wrong? Maybe the output signal from the Inspire is so weak?

I reckon you guise only connect the DI or reamp box and everything work fine, don't need to boost the signal.
Is it the Presonus's fault?
On summer i'm going to buy a bigger interface i think...

Thanks!

The outputs on the Presonus might be too low, check if they're line-level (it's probably on the specs page of the manual)

I didn't find proper info about the levels:(

There's nothing about it in the manual, only the output impedance (51ohm)

I tried with the headphone out too but it was neither good.
I think i'll never want an another Presonus interface, the support is so bad...

I have this same problem with my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. The only thing I've found to fix the problem is to use a boost pedal after the re-amp box.

The best pedal I've found to do this is the Joe Meek FloorQ (with the compression bypassed of course), however, it's quite pricey at $250. So instead I'm using a BBE Boosta Grande in addition to cranking the level all the way up on my Tubescreamer TS7. The BBE alters the tone slightly but it's not so much that you'll notice a difference in a mix.

EDIT: Here's a shootout I did a while back comparing the BBE boosted level to a live take. I've included the answer key which will tell what file is the live take and what file is the boosted take, but I encourage you to listen before looking at the key.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/316028/Shootouts/BBE_Live_vs_Reamp.zip

This shit can happen if output level low, for example Fast Track Ultra (not 8R) have only 10 dbu compared to 20 dbu of Fast Track Ultra 8R or Profire 2626.

Yeah, i think the output is very low, so it doesn't drive the amp input correctly...
Anyway, maybe i'll using it with a boost pedal.

What if i connect the output in a mixer line input? It can boost the signal so it'll be good i think. I'll give it a try.

Mixer as driver for reamp-box is good idea. Just use mixer between interface and reamper (usually mixers have something like 20-22 dbu at outputs).