too old to play?

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Welp, I have been wondering/pissed off about this subject for the past week or so, and I've just gotta know you guys' opinions on this. I started seriously playing when I was 20, and I am now 24. I've made pretty decent headway, playing for approximately 3 and a half years. However, I see that most guitarists who make it start out at a fairly young age. I think I started about 15 years too late, but that's just me. Am I running a losing race? What do you guys think about this subject?

you really shouldn't look at it like a race, more like a proggresion the more you practice the better you get. I wouldn't say that you are too old if you like the instrument keep on it but if you want to be a virtuoso like let's say MJR or Jason Becker then you are a little late:p My best advice keep on practicing and don't let your age bring you back, who knows how good you can get with lots of practice.

I've been playing the guitar since I was 16, but I never had the mindset to really learn anything before I was 21 or so. I couldn't shred if my life depended on it (didn't have the patience I guess), so I just developed other facets of my playing.

Ive played since i was 10 years old, Im now 27. I took me plenty of time learning cool techniques because i was self taught. Just keep playing day in and out, Your never too old, Concentrate on music theory and make sure you have friends that play too, that helps ;) Keep at it for sure :)

Like the other guy's said.To old?...my ass.I started when i was around 16,took lessons for a year,but drugs seemed way more fun at the time,but i've keep't at it.I'm now 27...i am working in two bands....self taught all the way.

It doesn't make a bit of difference... why exactly are you playing anyway... maybe because you like it?

Everyone's a different story man... but unless you're playing because you dig it then.. yes... give it up.

Originally posted by thrashmetal78
Welp, I have been wondering/pissed off about this subject for the past week or so, and I've just gotta know you guys' opinions on this. I started seriously playing when I was 20, and I am now 24. I've made pretty decent headway, playing for approximately 3 and a half years. However, I see that most guitarists who make it start out at a fairly young age. I think I started about 15 years too late, but that's just me. Am I running a losing race? What do you guys think about this subject?
Don't worry about age bro.:rolleyes: ..24 nowadays is like 34 10-20 years ago, people are living longer.
..Only worry about age if your thinking about playing old-fart music like Bruce Springstein-type crap.:puke:

im 16, i have been playing for 8 years....so maybe im not the right person to answer this but even if i dont make it (which is very likely considering how many bands actually get somewhere) i dont intend on ever giving up the guitar....i love playing it!