Tool

Your favourite Tool effort to date...

• Total voters
Great band in my opinion and I would call them Metal, but that's also in my opinion.

I chose Lateralus. An excellent album filled with excellent songs. Though I must say that I like Ænima just as much.

All the stuff they're done is decent, except for maybe the new one. Well, it might be decent, I just wasn't able to get into it.

I jammed "Lateralus" a few months back a few times, but I haven't heard the first two album in forever. It wouldn't be fair to me to vote, it's just one of those things...

I don't mind some of their stuff, but I never really got into them. I wouldn't call them metal though - they are more or less like a more modern progressive rock, I'd say.

One thing that annoys me are many diehard Tool fans. Knowing that I'm into metal, they are always telling me that Tool has one of the greatest drummers, and their vocalist who's looked upon as some sort of a god, can 'scream' better than any metal vocalist. Or how their music is without a doubt the 'trippiest' thing out there, and lots of silly arguments....

However, nothing fails to irritate me more than are some Tool fans who've clearly devoted too much of their life to hard drugs, who think every second of music this band has ever recorded is in someway linked to some mass conspiracy.

I remember hearing about a fan being heavily convinced their Laterus album was meant to be a soundtrack to Mel Gibson's movie, The Passion of the Christ. Need I say more.

All very true. I used to live with one of these people. ALways talking about Timothy Leary and how Tool was some deep psychadelic experience. Yawn

For me it's a toss-up between Opiate and Undertow. I, like a lot of folks on here, kinda lost interest in them with time (shit, Undertow came out when I was a jumior in high school), though I still like the rest of their material. I actually prefer Salival to most of their actual studio albums, if only for the live version of "Pushit" and the cover of "No Quarter".

They're like the aural equivalent of the Emperors new clothes for me. People tell me they're some mind expanding progressive genius', creating masterpieces of cerebral excellence.

Me ? I just hear a bunch of boring shite.

GET ON WITH PLAYING A FUCKING SONG YOU CUNTS

Heheh! The main problem I have with that album is that every other track on it is "filler" or a non-song/intro/whatever. Lateralus does this too but the mini-songs usually at least fit with the concept. I recommend checking out some stuff off that album.

I would do V, but there are several hundred old thrash albums I would rather bet on first, before wasting my time (and money) on the ramblings of drugged out neo-hippies.

Still, horses for courses, eh ?

The biggest problem I have with Tool is their consistent use of filler tracks. Why the hell do they need so many? When they actually play a song it's usually awesome! And the gods know Tool have no problem writing enough musical material to make a considerably long record, seeing as how all their albums run nearly 80 minutes.

Anyway, I voted AEnima. I think that album has the most tracks that I like on it; but it was a hard choice, because Lateralis is actually my favorite track overall by them.

Because they like having their music also incorporate atmosphere and concept, not just 12 balls out rockin' songs. I dunno.