Toontrack Metal Month 2015?

I grabbed Metal Guitar Gods 3 yesterday. It threw me a little.

For one, most of the presets are named very descriptively so that you know what amp was at the heart of the signal chain being modded. That's great! Most of the other packs have vague preset names like "Heavy Machinery" or "Main Rhythm 1", which is fine if you're ok with auditioning a bunch of them and only going by ear to find how it'll fit in a track. I prefer knowing that Adam D modeled his Framus Cobra or Soldano if you're going for a specific vibe.

Speaking of Adam D, I'm not really a Killswitch Engage fan, but I think his healthy collection of presets here are probably the best heavy amp models Toontrack has ever done in an EZMix pack. The Soldano and Framus Cobra patches sound sooooooo good for chunky rhythms that cut. Man, can he dial in a tone. Great lead patches too.

The Andy James ones are also great, encompassing several 5150 patches which all sound good, and a handful of Dual Rectifier, Blackstar Series One and Marshall patches. Very balanced across the range, along with good leads.

The Keith Merrow ones are unfortunately of mixed quality. His Friedman patch is crushing and great, but some of his other rhythm patches sound pretty anemic by themselves, especially the Conquering Dystopia 5150 one. They'd probably cut through in a mix, which I guess is the point, but I'd prefer a bit more meat on them as the default, and letting us tweak that as one of the two parameters. That being said, he provides a surprising number of ambient clean patches, and they are fantastic.

Finally, the Ola ones are not my cup of tea at all. Only one or two straightforward rhythms, and I find them to be mostly fizzy and undefined. Will probably never touch them again.

Overall, the unexpectedly great and diverse set of ambient clean patches along with the Friedman, Cobra and Soldano sims make it very much worth the purchase. I just wish they'd release an overall set that had the same quality, variety and utility as Jocke Skog's Metal Amps. That's still their best. This is the best of the Metal Guitar Gods series.

are you for real Mikah? i didn't really like any of those. Any chance I can send you a di track and get that reamped to check myself if the purchase is worth the money?

More than happy to. I'm at work now, but I can do it tonight. Is there a particular amp type or style you want me to focus on?

Got my USB stick for the full Progressive SDX yesterday... loading up all the OH + Room mics with a full kit will easily get you into the 5-6GB range as far as RAM usage goes. It also sounds fucking awesome.

damn I can't share that one di yet as I do not own the content :) Hope you understand. Thank you so much Mikah, really appreciate that. I like Adam D. framus, the soldano is way too muddy. Andy james 5150 is quite nasal and there's some mid content i would want to get rid of. Same goes for the Keith Merrow Friedman. So far no great stuff but still decent for a quick preproduction.

Guys try putting the TSE 808 in front. Adjust the gain accordingly.

I tried it with the Colin Richardson pack and it made a significant difference, in a good way.

I do, sorry about that! Point still stands.

;)

Actually, Tue told me that him and Ola spend a lot of time discussing gear and guitars etc. But mixing and decisions was entirely up to Tue. He even did all the mixing without the band in the studio! The band totally rely on his mixing skills and Ola said it was a huge relief to have an experienced guy like Tue to lean on - and just concentrate on being a musician and playing in a band. :kickass:

What do you guys think of the new Savell EZMix? Some pretty cool sounds on there I think.
I hate EZMix and it's preset functionality. It's a waste of money, in my opinion. You'd be better off buying individual plugins and such. Save up the cash and buy one at a time or on sale. You'll learn more, the quality will be better and it's just a better route to take.