Top 10 all-time favourite movies

This one actually made me sleep at the cinema.

it's slept on by a lot of people 'cause at a glance it looks like a prestige picture/actor's vehicle and it's super low key, but it's a really bold, tightly coiled, emotionally complex mood piece IMO. oldman's performance is scary in this really quiet restrained way. i love that film.

Why'd you bump this? Anyway, I think I've posted in this thread before (EDIT: turns out I haven't) but my current list would be something like this:

1. Margaret
2. Blue Velvet
3. Memories of Murder
4. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
5. Synecdoche, New York
6. Lady Snowblood
7. Dark Star
8. Days of Heaven
9. The Man Without a Past
10. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Why'd you bump this? Anyway, I think I've posted in this thread before (EDIT: turns out I haven't) but my current list would be something like this:

1. Margaret
2. Blue Velvet
3. Memories of Murder
4. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
5. Synecdoche, New York
6. Lady Snowblood
7. Dark Star
8. Days of Heaven
9. The Man Without a Past
10. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

great fucking list. i am seriously looking forward to watching the two of these i haven't seen (i rather liked the kaurismaki i watched recently). i also really need to rewatch BLUE VELVET soon.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
great fucking list. i am seriously looking forward to watching the two of these i haven't seen (i rather liked the kaurismaki i watched recently). i also really need to rewatch BLUE VELVET soon.

Thx. You didn't ask me to but I'm going to elaborate on these picks because I feel like reflecting on them;

Margaret - I feel like this movie was made for me, watching it was basically a religious experience. Thanks again for the rec

Blue Velvet - Peak Lynch to me in a lot of ways, what gets to me the most is the character of Frank, it's such an audacious portrayal of a truly pathological mind. Nothing else about it stands out to me right now so maybe I should rank it lower, but really any of the top 9 movies on this list could be my #1 on any given day.

Memories of Murder - Moreso than with any other movie I can't articulate why I loved this, by the end of it I was crying and I didn't know why.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - I've heard this described as the most empathetic movie of all time, and that's kind of how I feel about it, but I also feel like I'm not entirely receptive to it because it's too much and my brain shuts it out. I mean it's literally a movie about the last days of a girl who was raped and murdered, and it dives headlong into the abject horror of that, how the fuck do you even process that?

Synecdoche, New York - Basically all my deepest anxieties committed to film. In the past this would've been an easy #1, and maybe it should be still, but I haven't seen it in a long time.

Lady Snowblood - Lurid and pulpy as any good exploitation movie should be but with the timeless, enchanting beauty of a fairytale. A very fascinating contrast that really works for me, plus I just love enka and Meiko Kaji in particular.

Dark Star - Some days I think this is the most profound movie ever made. The absurdist comedy, existential horror and no-budget aesthetic synergize perfectly.

Days of Heaven - Gets to me for the same reasons Legend of Galactic Heroes does, if that makes any sense.

The Man Without a Past - In stark contrast to everything else on this list, a feel-good movie. I've grown up in an area that is culturally more Finnish than Swedish and I find the portrayal of the Finnish mentality in this movie, although exaggerated for comic effect, very true to life.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - It didn't elicit much of an emotional reaction when I first saw it, but I think that's because it's so fucking cold it denies one. Since then it has been growing and growing in my mind. Aguirre might better deserve the #10 spot but I haven't seen it in a long time. EDIT: Only just noticed you were discussing this at the top of this page.

Last edited:
filtering criticker to exclude 'very popular' and 'popular' films, here's my top ten of this decade:

1) Romancing In Thin Air (Johnnie To)
romancing_in_thin_air.jpg

there's no better cure for grief and heartbreak than cinema.

2) Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 (Johnnie To)
APR_7107SMALL-770x433.jpg

the first film was a sweet, elegant romcom; the sequel is a nihilistic, lunatic subversion of all that film stood for. both are among the finest examples of to's visual genius.

3) Twixt (Francis Ford Coppola)
hv0710akdd.jpg

i absolutely love love love that the guy who made THE GODFATHER and APOCALYPSE NOW is now making goofy, ostensibly shitty, incredibly personal B-movies steeped in dreamy, consciously tacky artifice.

4) Into Eternity (Michael Madsen)
1_INTO_ETERNITY.jpg

if 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY were a documentary about a nuclear storage bunker.

5) Wuthering Heights (Andrea Arnold)
scaled.jpg

the most bleak, primal, stormy adaptation of a classic text i've ever seen, and for most of its runtime one of the most immersive movies period.

6) The Color Wheel (Alex Ross Perry)
3384.large.jpg

a pair of damaged, snarky siblings go on an oddball road trip and, uh, find themselves or something.

7) The Unspeakable Act (Dan Sallitt)
the-unspeakable-act.jpg

a quiet, extremely earnest comic-drama about a girl in love with her brother. not the only movie involving incest on this list, for some reason.

8) The Loneliest Planet (Julia Loktev)
the-loneliest-planet04-1.jpg

hey let's wander out into the georgian wilderness and discover everything in our souls we've ever left unspoken. the better version of FORCE MAJEURE, another movie that hinges on a single moment of instinctive cowardice.

9) Aaaaaaaah! (Steve Oram)
AAAAAAAAH-still-31Steve-Oram-as-Smith-e1435869981952.jpg

planet of the humans, starring a bunch of apes. savagely funny satire.

10) Hill of Freedom (Hong Sang-Soo)
Brody-Hill-of-Freedom.jpg

every hong movie ever is about a lonely alcoholic filmmaker shambling around some lovely setting meeting people and trying to find some lost love or whatever the fuck, usually within some kind of temporally jumbled meta-narrative. this one's no different but it may be his shortest, least forced movie and it epitomises everything i love about his stuff.

Thx. You didn't ask me to but I'm going to elaborate on these picks because I feel like reflecting on them;

Margaret - I feel like this movie was made for me, watching it was basically a religious experience. Thanks again for the rec

you're welcome! my only issue with that movie (and all lonergan movies actually) is i occasionally find the drama a bit contrived/unconvincing (i.e. scenes with the friend-with-benefits, mum's boyfriend, even with the friend of the dead woman at times). but then there are loads of other points where it's more wonderfully messy and real than 99.9% of other movies so w/e. still might be my number 1 of this decade.

Taxi Driver
Falling Down
Goodfellas
There Will Be Blood!
Street Trash
Out for Justice
Spaceballs
The Last House on the Left
The Shining
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Reactions: CiG
Perhaps even the greatest opening scene in a film of all time, of any genre.

Total Recall, Terminator 2, Last Action Hero, and seven assorted 80s Arnold movies

Are you a fan of Raw Deal? I always felt like that was underappreciated even among die-hard fans of Arnie.

No order is necessary, here's mine;

Conan The Barbarian
Violent Cop
Death Wish
Magnum Force
Alien
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Zombi 2
The Ten Commandments (1956)
Star Wars (1977)
Drunken Master

I don't stand by this 2 year old list of mine. It says I edited it a year ago but I am pretty sure that was just for a spelling mistake that I noticed the last time this got bumped out of inactivity.

:lol: Probably what most will think of my entire list:

Lost Highway (David Lynch, 1997)
Crash (David Cronenberg, 1996)
Flesh and Bone (Steve Kloves, 1993)
Shadow of a Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock, 1943)
Eugenie... the Story of Her Journey into Perversion (Jess Franco, 1969)
Love Rites (Walerian Borowczyk, 1987)
The Addiction (Abel Ferrara, 1995)
Szamanka (Andrzej Zulawski, 1996)
Bug (William Friedkin, 2006)
The Iron Rose (Jean Rollin, 1973)
Oblivious Maximus I've seen not one thing on your list, fuck me.

Since this I have only seen Crash and that was really really fucking good.

Might make some effort to see something else off this.

Are you a fan of Raw Deal? I always felt like that was underappreciated even among die-hard fans of Arnie.

I actually haven't seen it tbh. Haven't watched Conan the Destroyer or Red Sonja either. I just realized that leaves just six albums from the 80s though, so put Rumble in the Bronx in there somewhere to round out a top 10.

I actually haven't seen it tbh. Haven't watched Conan the Destroyer or Red Sonja either.

I'm not much of a fan of Conan the Destroyer and it is almost entirely because I fucking hated Tracey Walter's character. God fucking awful character man. :lol:

Red Sonja is cheesy and cool though.